Living in Montenegro

You are living in Montenegro, or you used to live in Montenegro.

Share your experience!

How would you describe life in Montenegro?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find an accommodation and a job?

Is it complicated to make friends in Montenegro?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Montenegro?

Thanks in advance for your participation

It is not very easy when you don't know the language... However if you are lucky and meet the right people, you can manage quite well.

I have lived here for almost a year now, and I must say I like most if it here...

Except when just because you are a foreigners, some of them think that they can charge you 5 times as much as they would charge the locals... But you get used to it.

The best thing here, to me: being able to sit down on a terrace in the middle of the winter for a nice coffee under the sun. The winter is so short! There might be too many tourists in the summer (thats basically july/august) but for the other 10 months, it is nice.

Everything should have been easier if I had known the language better, so maybe one advice would be: try and get some lessons, especially as this won't cost you much over here, for private lessons.

I once heard someone describe Herceg Novi (our local town in Montenegro) as "not the most beautiful town in Montenegro (although I find it charming) but the easiest place to be a stranger". During our time here we have easily built a great network of friends both local and ex-pat. It is certainly popular with English ex-pats. At a recent British Embassy function the Ambassador revelaed that there are more English ex-pats living in Montenegro than any other European ex-pat nationality. So if you want to get away from the English probably best not to come here :)

I would like to move to Montenegro within 1.5-2 years from now.
I ve been in H.N. its beautiful ! I ve lived in Bar for 2 years and am hoping to find a nice place to rent in the Budva area to move there with my husband and 5 month old daughter. Is it easy to find a place to live at a reasonable price ?

Would any ex-pats out there say it's a 'good move' to move to Montenegro? Do many places have their own pools, hubby is a qualified pool engineer (5 years experience in the UK and now 2 seasons in Cyprus.  We really fancy a change and think that moving to M/N would be a good one for us, We are in our late 40's.

For me it was a wonderful move...
Now it probably depends on what you are looking for.
Regarding Pools, there is probably a "market" here. As far as I know, there is only one proper pool company here, and a little bit of competition would certainly be healthy!!!
What kind of info are you after?

Thanks for the info on pool company! We would like to rent a place for about 6 months until we get a feel for an area we want to settle in. What are the best areas? Would like to integrate into village life if poss which is what we have done in Cyprus.

Hi there,
If you are after Village life you might want to have a look at the entire Kotor Bay (which is made of 3 inner bays: Risan bay, Tivat Bay and Kotor Bay)...

Depending on which 6 months you are planning to settle here, I would suggest that if it is during summer months, go for any village of the bay, however if it is in the winter (november to march), you should definitely go for a south/south-west oriented area, as you get very little daylight in all the Kotor and Risan inner bays (especially all shores turned to the north).

Whereas you will get around 2 or 3 more hours of sunshine (and less rain) on the Tivat Bay (especially Kavac, Tivat, Donja Lastva...) and on the Lustica Peninsula (which is very quiet and natural).

Otherwise you can also choose the mountains !!

Cheers.

Hi Claire, thank you so much for the info it is greatly appreciated.
Eleanor & Jeff

I find it difficult to find recreation facilities in Podgorica. I am over 50 years old and would like a relaxing atmosphere in the evenings to relax. There are many clubs,bars  for a younger generation butI cannot find ,for example, a piano lounge, live show/entertainment ,or simalar.

Seán

maybe you could ask the Jazz Art Association in Podgorica for advice?
http://www.jazzartassociation.org/

Just a couple of ideas.

Thank you for your recommendations ,I will certainly try them out.

Let us know about them once you tried them! Or if you find any more interesting place too!