Muslims in Montenegro

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and thinking about the possibility to settle in Montenegro. I am actually living in Brazil.

I have read about few instances of violence between Muslims and Serbs in some cities of Montenegro and would like to know if such events should be taken seriously by a Muslim willing to settle in Montenegro with his family. Are these very random occurrences or is it frequent ? Are there any specific cities or regions more exposed to violence than others ? I would highly appreciate having some feedback on the safest cities in Montenegro with Muslim communities and mosques. 

Thanks in advance.

Hello lyeslou.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope other members will give you some useful informations.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thank you

If there was any violence, it wasn't big and it was 15 years ago. The bigger the city the bigger chance you'll see some violence (bar brawls, fights over girls or after car crashes; nothing to do with one religion or other). There are no 'safest' cities - all are equally safe. But you can expect more crime where more people live, or in summer in small coastal cities, like burglaries, but nothing serious. In Montenegro, there isn't much little crime, but there's a lot of big crime - white collar crime. Counties with significant Muslim populations are: Ulcinj, Bar, Podgorica, Plav, Rozaje, Berane and Bijelo Polje. Feel free to ask more.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am not concerned much with the usual violence which occurs in every country. I live in Brazil and violence has become part of the local culture. Since the balkan area witnessed some very ugly ethnic violence in the past, i thought that maybe the bleeding has not stopped yet. It is noce to know that things are much better.

Hello,
Firstly, Serbs live in Serbia, Montenegrins live in Montenegro. The war was over in 1999. After the war, Montenegro was a part of the country Serbia & Montenegro. In 2006 Montenegro became the independant country named Montenegro, the third newest country in the world after Bandar Ache and South Sudan. Montenegro is a Christian orthodox country with a number of Muslims people living there, approximately 6% of the population. Montenegro is awaiting to become a part of Schengen and hopefully not too far into the future we will be a part of the European union.
The original Muslim population in Montenegro have inherited the religion from the Ottoman times. Elsewhere, The recent influx of Muslims are either Albanians or Bosnians.
In the capital city Podgorica Muslims live in good harmony with with the Orthodox Christians and marriages between the two groups are not uncommon.
Question is, why do you want to go and live in Montenegro? Why not Bosnia or Albania, which seem to be closer to your religious preferences? I am an Orthodox woman in a Muslim country. There are mosques here every 300 meters. Why don't you come to Oman instead? A friendly country with a very low criminality rate. No war, no nothing. As an Orthodox person I feel very safe here and I can even have my glass of white wine whenever I feel like it. :)

Hi Milena,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I thought of Montenegro because it seems that the process for setting up a company and acquiring a residence visa is not too complicated plus the fact that i cannot stay away for too long from the Mediterranean climate and nature. I have had my dose of the Atlantic ocean and want to move to the Mediterranean region. I am not thinking of moving to Montenegro because of my religion. I would have moved to Saudi Arabia if that had been the case, or even Oman as you mentioned. Oman is a very nice place. I lived in the UAE from 90 to 96 and have been to most of the neighbouring countries including Yemen without being kidnapped ...*laughing*. You can definately enjoy your glass of wine in Oman. I can see the glass in your pic, unless it is apple juice ..*laughing*

I am thinking of visiting Montenegro in October. It has been a while since my last trip to that region, back in 1987 when i was a backpacker.

Thanks again for your kind reply.

All the best.

1. Serbs live in Montenegro too (30% of all population), as  Montenegrins live in Serbia (around 1.5% of population).

2. Montenegro is mostly atheistic state, altho most of citizens identify themselves as orthodox Christians, very few of them do actually regularly go to church, or pray, or know anything about religion.

It's because of years of communist oppression against religion (which deleted knowledge about the faith and religion). After commies disappeared and nationalism came, people stopped calling themselves Yugoslavs and atheists and started calling themselves Serbs, Croats, Bosniaks, etc. while adding religion next to their ethnic group's name - Orthodox, Catholic, Muslim - because their ancestors were actually religious people.