Fiancee visa in The UK between Non-UE and UE citizen

Hi, my name is Nicu and I am a Romanian living and working in The UK for the past 4 years. My girlfriend is from Syria and I met her online 2 years ago and We have seen each other twice in Beirut, Lebanon.

We applied for a fiancee visa before we first met and that did not go well. At the moment, we have seen each other twice abnd we have pictures, online conversations and all supporting documents to prove our long distance relationship.

Recently applied for a visit visa for her in Romania so we can get married there and then get her in The UK. Getting married in Romania would require me staying there for 3 or 4 months to get her a stay permit (my presence would be required for a random check from the Immigrations Officers that would interview us).

My invitation was accepted and now we are waiting for her visa.

I work in The UK and I would do anything to bring my girlfriend here as my girfriend / fiancee / wife.

Do you think, after all I wrote, that I would have any chance bringing her in the UK through a fiancee visa without the UKVI considering she would ask for asylum etc.??

What do you think about Brexit? Rigth after Brexit, I would still be EU and not have British citizenship. Let's say I marry her in Romania but I want to get her here after Brexit? What would happen then?

What if I simply marry her in Romania but I don't spend the time there for my girlfriend's stay permit and we are simply married? She goes back to Syria and I would invite her here via EEA family permit. What do you think of that alternative?

What do you guys suggest? Any similar experience? It is a lot to read but please give me some ideas.

Kind regards,
Nick

Epsilonn wrote:

Hi, my name is Nicu and I am a Romanian living and working in The UK for the past 4 years. My girlfriend is from Syria and I met her online 2 years ago and We have seen each other twice in Beirut, Lebanon.

We applied for a fiancee visa before we first met and that did not go well. At the moment, we have seen each other twice abnd we have pictures, online conversations and all supporting documents to prove our long distance relationship.

Recently applied for a visit visa for her in Romania so we can get married there and then get her in The UK. Getting married in Romania would require me staying there for 3 or 4 months to get her a stay permit (my presence would be required for a random check from the Immigrations Officers that would interview us).

My invitation was accepted and now we are waiting for her visa.

I work in The UK and I would do anything to bring my girlfriend here as my girfriend / fiancee / wife.

Do you think, after all I wrote, that I would have any chance bringing her in the UK through a fiancee visa without the UKVI considering she would ask for asylum etc.??

What do you think about Brexit? Rigth after Brexit, I would still be EU and not have British citizenship. Let's say I marry her in Romania but I want to get her here after Brexit? What would happen then?

What if I simply marry her in Romania but I don't spend the time there for my girlfriend's stay permit and we are simply married? She goes back to Syria and I would invite her here via EEA family permit. What do you think of that alternative?

What do you guys suggest? Any similar experience? It is a lot to read but please give me some ideas.

Kind regards,
Nick

Hi Nick and welcome to the Forum.

The family visa thing may be doable; this link will take you to the UK Gov website that has the relevant details.  Have a look through that and see what you need to do.

With regards to Brexit; there is a website being run by an organisation called UKCEN; this link will take you there.  This group has been set up to respond to the demand for up-to-date information, advice and practical support for EU citizens in the UK.  It has a Facebook group (link is on the website) where people like yourself are sharing information.  They're about the best source of information I've come across for all the Brexit questions/answers.

Assuming that Romanian immigration rules are not as strict as is currently being enforced in the UK, marrying her in Romania would certainly be easier.

Hope this helps a bit.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello,

my situation is just the same;  from online to long distance relationship and the hardship to be separated from a loved one.
Have no solution as of today, but  will ask a lawyer soon.
So far we considered a legal partnership outside the UK as well, or a marriage in Denmark; yet this is not the final step as I know. Getting our partners over to the UK is the question.

Do you have any idea why your application was rejected?

Mara

Hi Lisa3110, we got rejected because we had never met each other before (now we have, please read my original post but ask for more details should you wish) and... because of the asylum claiming problem... ask me more please if you want details as I am here to learn more too.

What is with the marriage in Denmark? What gives? What are the benefits or the advantages to that?

Kind regards,
Nick

Hi Cynic, I will read all related to your links and thank you for the reply.

I will find my way and get my girlfriend to the UK eventually and thank you for your kind words.

Kind regards,
Nick

Nick, hello,
getting married in Denmark requires less paper work then in my original countries
(dual citizenships).  That's why we also considered a legal partnership.
As we are still exploring our options,  I wonder if the marriage papers are enough to make my friend join me in the UK ; or would he have to spend time with me in  Greece,  waiting for his resident permit first?
Would it still require proof of income when a EU citizen brings a non EU citizen into the UK?

Reading the experiences of others is helpful , occasionally, but it also brings forth more questions then answers. 

I still trust the old saying: were there is a will, there is a way.

I found out yesterday that many legal firms offer free initial advice. I will go for this option and see what it brings.
Will be in touch with my experiences.
have a good day,

Mara

Hi Mara, so you are from Greece and your boyfriend is from Syria? And you live in the UK at the moment?

Well, my experience is as follows: we applied for a fiancee visa (for UK) last year and it failed because we had never met each other before and my girlfriend could have claimed asylum after the end of the visa... ask me more about this should you want to learn more. Anyway, the first time we met was when I went to Beirut in Lebanon last year in July to get the answer from the UK Embassy there (looong story and a lot of paperwork for that... and she needed to go in person to pick up the answer). And I did have a lawyer that promised me the world... In the end we got rejected because of obvious reasons... we had never met until then and there was the asylum risk... again, read more about this.

Yes you need to show proof of income but you are no UK citizen so there is no specific amount... just show bank statements and 6 months worth of payslips .... this is in case you want to go for a fiancee visa for the UK... I don't know your history with your boyfriend.

To make this short, I was adviced by many lawyers to invite my girlfriend in my country and to marry her there and after that to get her a stay permit so she can stay there, in Romania, while I apply for an EEA family permit in the UK... this should work. You have to read a lot more about this or ask me about details... or maybe you already know.

We got the my invitation for her to come to RO approved and now I get her ready to apply for the visa as this is a long and tedious process...

The story is too long and twisted and the paperwork even more.

But, what is with Denmark? Why is it simpler there for you two? How do you get him there???

I know of Tanzania for example, where you can get married even if you don't have citizenship there...

Please teach me about your experience and I will tell you more about mine.

Kind regards,
Nick

Hello and good morning  to the UK

would there be a way to talk off line?  I know the topic is interesting for others too, but do not feel too easy here.

Anyway, the background is such that I live in Greece, he is Indian, and we did meet once.  Online for a long time already and things developed.   Like in your case,  marriage/ partnership is driving us, not immigration needs.

Denmark does not require citizenship either,   and less paperwork,  only Schengen Visa for non -EU partners.   You can find lots of details online; ( https://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenha … copenhagen)

I am looking into more details regarding EEA family permit, and want to understand if it is different from a  family visa.   
The online readings seem to be so difficult , or is it only my confusion?

As a soon to be newcomer to the UK,  I will pick up any job to support myself and will not meet the income margins.   I am worried if  we would be judged on my income as well.
so much more to exchange

Regards,

Mara

Hi Mara, how can we get in touch then to talk more?

Kind regards,
Nick

I think that you greatest chance of success lies in you getting married, then applying for a spouse visa.  Being in a relationship really gives your girlfriend no status, especially with so much of it being online and she will be treated as an individual, like anyone else.

Quite often you would marry in your fiancé's country of origin, then apply for the spouse visa from there, but as you aren't British, I doubt that would apply.

My wife is from Kenya - we met and married in the UK, but she was unable to apply for any status in the UK until after our wedding - that was 21 years ago though and things are tougher now.

The visa application was rejected because they didn't have a real relationship at that time. Online isn't real life.