Five months after Maria

Still no power in our area. The crew that was working here has been pulled out by USACE because they want to be responsible with the taxpayer money (or something).
The crew would have needed one more day to finish their job here and power up the area. ONE DAY!

USACE wrote:

"While we remain focused on returning power to all Puerto Ricans, we are beginning a responsible drawdown of our current workforce to make good use of the federal tax dollars entrusted to us," said Colonel Jason Kirk, USACE Power Restoration Task Force lead. "The Unified Command is confident that we have the right number of restoration workers actively engaged and will not rest until we have the lights back on for all of our fellow American citizens in Puerto Rico."

Full press release here: https://www.army.mil/article/200737/usa … tus_update

Needless to say that the people here are sad, mad, disappointed, outraged, you name it. Whatever is behind this move, it shows that despite all the lip service "they" are not interested in helping the people of Puerto Rico.
I sent an email to colonel Jason Kirk to invite him to our area to talk with the residents but he did not answer (yet?).  :joking:

I'm sure they care. They may not be competent, or the incentive structure of government work may stunt their progress, or the red-tape the colonel has to deal with may be worse then we can possibly imagine, or all of the above, etc.

Hey Sitka, how is your place in Hatillo? I seen several videos today of beach erosion and the sea running thru the streets and moving cars and junk around. You being in a beach front property must be seeing some heavy action tonight.

Rey, We got hit with the super high surf.  25+ foot waves. My patio is covered with trash & sand. The ocean is very rough, expect more flooding next high tide.  Fortunately I sand baged the doors to the water side so we have minimal flooding inside.

We barely got cleaned up from Maria, now a second wammy from the surf.   Many costal roads closed due to high water.

Locals say this is a rare event, but we sure didn't need any more damage to the island.

Yes last one like this was over 45 years ago or more. Not that that helps. At least you did not have major damage to your stuff.

With this climate warming going on, things are unpredictable, people and even scientists are mainly guessing about the changes to the weather patterns. Melting of the poles is to raise worse case sea levels by about 4 feet but that is hundreds of years from now.

At 1,000 feet about sea level I am not too worried about the sea raising by 4.

Congress looking into AEE employees asking for money from clients to repair electricity.
http://caribbeanbusiness.com/us-house-c … r-utility/

So they sent a letter to the PREPA interim director. Now, that's going to help!
NOT!

:lol:

Not like he will be very cooperative anyway. But it may work since treasury is not releasing money until they are confortable, so the governor may force him to cooperate. They can always come up with a fall guy.

What starts with a letter can end with criminal indictments.