Speeding ticket and the points system

So I just received a speeding ticket traveling on PR-66 from Fajardo to SJ. The officer said he clocked me going 79 mph in a 65. I am trying to figure out how to pay it. Doing to little research it seems I have to go to a "Colecture"  or "CESCO" or directly to the DTOP license center. Not really sure what the differences are and where I should go.  Can I mail it in or better pay it online? I've been told I need to make sure I get the receipt.  Does anyone have any insight?

More importantly, I am concerned about points. I don't seem to find much information. There is a section on my ticket called "PUNTOS" but the officer left it blank. He said sometimes he put points there but he didn't but that the DTOP decides the points. Does anyone have any resources explaining the point system here.
In particular: Will I get any, if so so how many? What is the maximum when they suspend your license? When do they expire? Will the insurance company know about it, will it increase my premium?
I know from the states that speeding tickets can end up costing you 5-10x the fine over the next years in increased insurance premiums.

This brings me to my 3rd concern. If there are points and I want to fight this ticket, does anyone have experience going through the process? Is an attorney recommended?

Thanks everyone for time reading this!
Marc

Sorry to hear... Using WAZE app will usually advise if a police is in area... may help in future.

I have fought tickets many times..

It is a process and you do not need a lawyer. 

I went to the Court house that applied to area and ticket... then I requested a court date to dispute.  I also requested a translator, which at the time they said they would have... Once I got the date I went and hoped my cop would not show... which he did.  But, they did not have the translator at that time and the judge let it go and I did not have to pay.  I recieced the paper in the mail and then had to go and get stamps at the Collectoria.
If you have a friend that speaks Spanish you should bring.
I would ask if the cop is there where is the evidence from a machine or gun that you were going that fast... If he cannot produce this... Well it is his word I would assume against yours.. Is that legal?
I have always had good luck with going to court and then you must get the stamp and I think return it.. Keep copies of everything.. Be nice and polite and they generally will help you at the court if you need.  Good luck.

Thank you so very much for your reply.  That is very helpful. I think I will try that.

Does anyone have any insight on the points and how they work here?

I got a ticket, for not having boots on my motorcycle.  When I went to court, the officer did not show, so the case was dismissed.  I have heard, in light of the government's financial crisis, this is no longer happening... but that's according to rumor control.

It's kinda like bait & switch.  You request a court date, in the meantime request a change in the court date prior to the scheduled hearing.  You should have a credible reason for the change eg work obligations or medical apt   

If approved by the court, You are hoping the changes in the schedule will cause a conflict with the officer ability to appear.  No guarantee on this tactic, but it worked for me in the past.    If the officer fails to appear, you should get a dismissal.   Good luck.  :cheers:

Thanks everyone. I think I will try to appeal it.  Is "Tribunal de Primera Instancia" the right type of court? I will go there tomorrow just want to make sure I am going to the right place.

cram1 wrote:

Thanks everyone. I think I will try to appeal it.  Is "Tribunal de Primera Instancia" the right type of court? I will go there tomorrow just want to make sure I am going to the right place.

Yes, that's "Trial Court" in English.

Pay in person at a colecturia if you can find one.  And make a photocopy of the receipt!!!!! The receipts they issue fade like disappearing ink.

I only got one, and I do not recall any points or any increase in my insurance.  If your vehicle is not worth too much you might consider just getting the mandatory insurance.  I had my own, but every time I was hit (four times) it was by someone who had the mandatory insurance.  There is a limit on payout, so having your own with U/I would be advisable if your damages could exceed $3,000 or so.

My brother in law has disputed several, and always seemed to get off, but he has a good lawyer. 

Good luck.

I got a speeding ticket last week outside of Isabela.
They said I was going 65 in 50 zone, but the speed limit on hwy 2 is confusing since there is no speed limit postings, and parts of it have stop light intersections.
Anyways how do I take care of the ticket from here in the USA?
I was in a rental car.

So I wanted to give you guys an update on my case/experience. This may also be helpful for anyone who will have the figure out the same.
I ended up going to Tribunal de Primera Instancia in Carolina the municipality where I got the ticket.

Although, I know a little Spanish I could not figure out what the clerk was telling me and she had to find me someone who knew English. She was helpful and helped me fill out the required form (https://mega.nz/#!TqhzyKxI!2oyB8vcJjHj2 … DVPfvzVOe8).
She also handed me some instructions. See here: https://mega.nz/#!OyA21QpK!odNcOu7qHvb6 … YwEECAy_5M
Unfortunately, I need to buy a tax stamp for $6 that I needed to be submit with my appeal.

So I had to go to local tax office stand in line for an hour to be able to hand someone $6 so they can give me a sticker. I think that the inefficiency here is the single most important factor why PR is lagging economically and why we are broke. Enough ranting for now, I went back to court and I was able to file the appeal and I received the date and time right then. (I also requested for a translator and it was written on my form)

On the court date, I showed up and the  court room opened about 30min after the scheduled time, the clerks check on everyone and organized the papers. There was about 40 people in the room and probably 30 cases. It turned out about half maybe less of the cases had the officer show up and those were taken first.  I was one of the lucky ones where the officer did not show.  The ones where the officer did not show were called all at once into the front. I didn't quite follow everything and there was no translator for me and the judge did not really speak English. Anyway, they made me verify my address and she told me to take the paper I get into the mail to the DMV to get my record cleared.

I got this in the mail https://mega.nz/#!W3RBnIQD!rEgt-I0VGAS8 … oM3HWJ1fCM
I took it to the CESCO, again standing in line to be told in which line line to stand next. When I handed the woman my papers she looked up my case and told me that my ticket isn't in their system yet and I should come back in 3 to 4 month.

That's where I am now.  So I will go back in like 4 month. I did ask if I can check online and she did say there is a iPhone App where you can check if the ticket has made it into their system.

I just got my first ever in my driving history a speeding ticket for going 59 in a 45 mph zone down a mountain highway. He asked me how long I have been here? I gave him my drivers liscence and he then asked me for my passport. He asked if I owned the car and then asked if I saw the radar. I did not know what seeing the radar meant. I thought it was referring to the device they hold and point at the car. He checked the box for speeding and he checked the box for radar.  So my ticket is for $240 and 6 points. From my research a Puerto Rican speeding ticket is a base $50 plus $5 for every mph over the speed limit. Any comments on this situation? I will most likely take it to court as it seems unfair for a first time offense and lack of fluent understanding of this type of questioning.

How much was your ticket?

Marc, how much was your ticket? Mine is 240 and 6 points. Seems mine is excessive.

Several months back fines were doubled. Parking in a yellow zone now is around 250 for example. Given that the goberment is hungry for income, I do not think the judge will give you a break.

Mrkpytn, I believe my ticket was $270 and maybe 0 points. I asked the officer about the points, and there is a field on the tickets indicating the points. The cop aid he didn't put any points but sometimes he does and I would need to ask because when I pay it they may add point. At least that's how I understood it. He was actually fairly nice all things considered.

Do you have a PR drivers license? If so did you show that one? I am curious as you said you had to show your passport? Not really sure if points would even matter if you don't have a PR licence.

I do not have a Puerto Rican liscence. He did ask how long I was here. I arrived on January and will be here the whole year to decide if I want to stay full time. I guess I will go ahead and pay it. On the back of the ticket it says, if my interpretation is correct that if I pay within 15 days there is a 30 percent discount and if paid before 30 days there is a 15 percent discount

If you have a states license, they say they have a reciprical system but I'm pretty sure that PR sends nothing to the states.