Telecommunications in Romania

Hello dear Members,

Can you please list some of the main Internet Service providers in  Romania? You may also include the cost related to their Internet subscription.

Another issue related to the telecommunication topic, is mobile plans. Can you please share with us:
>With which operator are you subscribed to?
>How are you finding their services?
>What kind of facilities do they offer?

Lastly, what is the best option according to you to make long distance calls in  Romania?

Your views/suggestions will be highly valued.

Wish you all a great day & thanks you in advance for your participation.

We use RDS/RCS for landline ,TV and Internet like all these tings OK until something goes wrong as customer service is not up to much,Cosmote are our mobile providers and Vodaphone and Orange also here,all much of a muchness although signal coverage up in Transylvania a bit thin sometimes for all of em.

For long distance either Skype or get you friends to call you lol.

If RCS-RDS offers Fiberlink in your part of town, that might be your best bet as it also includes a gadget for mobile internet on your laptop. The rate is 29RON for transfer rates up to 50Mbps and 39RON for transfer rates up to 100Mbps. See here ->http://www.rcs-rds.ro/internet-digi-net/fiberlink.

Romtelecom is a good alternative. The rate depends on the transfer speed (4.3Euro for up to 2Mbps, 6.9 for up to 50Mbps and 9.3Euro for up to 100Mbps. See here->http://www.romtelecom.ro/personal/internet/

For long-distance calls Skype is the best option, unless you use gmail, in which case you could try their new Call phone service in gtalk (only if your language is set to US English), which has lower rates than skype.

Another issue related to the telecommunication topic, is mobile plans. Can you please share with us:
>With which operator are you subscribed to?
>How are you finding their services?
>What kind of facilities do they offer?

Well, I can say something about the mobile operators in Romania! I just sent in an Article by the way;)

There are three major carriers in Romania:
Orange
Difficult to get a contract, no english customer support, but in General good service if you speak Romanian offering different mixed speech / data post and pre paid options.
Vodafone
Pretty much like orange with the cherry of english customer support on top!
Cosmote
Mostly prepaid, hard to get a real post paid plan, but great prepaid offers for smartphones.

In general, sim cards expire after a certain time, if you don't top up. Keep it in mind, if you travel outside of Romania for more than a month. There are some services to top up online like Fonmoney.

All amounts are topped up excluding VAT, so if you top up 10,00€, you will get a response telling you that you topped up 7€  something.

Best,

Justin

You should check out the subscriptions at the different service providers. Cosmote seemed fine but they do not have plans for smses or calls outside the EU in their plans. Vodaphone is better that way
Hope this helps

Lindochka wrote:

You should check out the subscriptions at the different service providers. Cosmote seemed fine but they do not have plans for smses or calls outside the EU in their plans. Vodaphone is better that way
Hope this helps

That never worried me as much as the expiration if you don't top up!

Hey Justin

That isn't really a problem. I was away for almost 3 months and when I got back all I had to do was go to my nearest Vodafone and top up. I think you can keep the number for up to 6 months without using it.