Keeping in touch while living in Romania

Hello everyone,

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in Romania? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from Romania? What do you think of the cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Looking at it from the other way around, here.  My wife and son have been living in Romania for four years, while I was still in Texas.
Phone calls got ridiculously expensive, so we used Facebook messenger and Skype.  Even now we do that, since they're still in RO, and I'm in Germany.  (But at least the airfare is WAY better when I go down there.  $100-$300 versus $1300!)

I use facebook messenger and whatsapp for message and video calls its a great way to keep in contact back home and costs nothing then!

I got a local Romanian SIM card with orange for their data and they also have minutes for international calling. It's only 12 euro per month for almost unlimited 4G data with free roaming anywhere in Europe. I also have t mobile from the U.S and use their digits app to forward all calls and messages to my Romanian phone. So I just use my iPhone and have both a local and my old US phone numbers. It's working well.