New members of the Philippines forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hey all I'm coming to Philippines 🇵🇭 to take part in the ICC WT20 Qualifiers East Asia Pacific Region. I'll be in Tagaytay but traveling to Dasmarines from Friday each day till end of the Tournament. I'd like to explore this lovely country but most important meet new people while I'm there. I'll be in the Philippines on Tuesday,

Hear from you soon.

Hi, name's Doug.  New on this site, today.  Will be moving to the Philippines as soon as our house in the US sells, in the spring
Been to the Philippines 6 times and love it.  Married to a Filipina for almost 7 years.
Retirement will be busy as I have a large extended family that I want to know much better.

If you don't count relationships gone wrong, I have never had a bad experience there.
If you're considering a move or even a visit, just keep your eyes open, as you should  in every unfamiliar situation, anywhere.

I would like to learn a little Cebuano before I travel in January, but Google translator only has Tagolog, I think
Is there a website or app that may be a good place to learn?

All my electronics are 110vac. Are converters easy to buy in PH?

Hi
Plenty to see and do in Tagaytay area. Lots of great restaurants and street food! Traffic isn't to bad in the area but don't stray to far north or you might be hard pressed to get back in a timely manner! One great experience is to be had at Isdaan Park! The floating restaurant will blow your mind and the food is awesome! Check it out only me! Enjoy!!

There are a series of lessons on YouTube.  I think you just need to search, Cebuano.
Good luck with this one.

Hi,
Saw this forum while looking for other expats' experience.  I am starting to plan my retirement after living in Sydney for 30 years.  After seeing different places in the Philippines, I would like to have a place in Palawan.  Maybe buy 2-5 acres of land (yes I can own land) with beachfront and build a comfortable house with the basic ameneties.
Anyone who has lived in Palawan for some time (not on holidays), and can give some reality check what to expect would be great.   Also interested to know if there's anyone or a group willing to split/share in the cost of retiring living (e.g. buy large parcel of land and building costs, installing solar energy, sourcing water, etc.).  Thank you for your thoughts/ideas.

I am Octan from Taiwan.
I have business in Manila. Will go there every month, stay 4 ~ 7 days.
Hope to learn Tagalog from Filipinos.

moonunit0103

Voltage converters are easy to purchase here in the Philippines.  However, check the labels on your power supply/chargers for your laptops and cellphones.  Many, if not most will operate safely in a range of voltages of somewhere between 100 and 230 volts, so you may have no need for a voltage converter.   
Home stereos, TVs or even printers may however need a suitable voltage converter.

Hi, my name is Mia. I was born and raised in the island of Leyte, worked and lived in the US for 20 years, came back for 4 years for a humanitarian project but will be going back to the US again.

Do you have a specific question? I will try to answer as candidly as possible.

Hi everyone, new member here living in Mabalacat, Pampanga. First came here in 2005 but finally retired here in 2015 (from UK). Married with three children, 10, 12 and 20 years old. Recovering from a heart attack so taking things easy at the moment (so no change then). Anyone else live nearby?

Hi David,

What exactly is a mental coach?

Hi I'm new here and coming to the Philippines for the first time, next week. I'll be meeting up with my girlfriend at Cebu Airport and staying in a hotel until I get a feel for Cebu. Looking to rent a flat or maybe even buy an apartment?
All advice most welcome.

Hey,

I am arriving in Cebu on the 16th. I found a condo on Agoda.com for $27/night.

How long have you been chatting you woman?  I am hesitant to lock down until I have a chance to meet in person.

Known her a few weeks now with lots of video msgr contact.  But it's definitely meet to see how we get on together before going any further. Feel pretty sure of her bona fides but never can tell. Will know in the first three days (I hope). Maybe catch up sometime?

Hi Mia, I'm finding it hard to get accurate info on the airport at Cebu. I arrive international at 16.40, my girlfriend arrives domestic at 17.50. Where would be the best place to meet in the airport? (we have both never been to Cebu before)

Hi All, My name is George. I am an American, living in Asheville, NC. I am thinking about moving to Cebu, Philippines, somewhere outside the city, where it isn't as crowed and not as hot. I was in Cebu City in 2006, where I met my current wife. I am finding it financially difficult staying in the U.S., and want to live will less stress. I am 74 and already retired. My main reason for joining this forum is to get a prospective from an expat living in the Philippines.

Hello buddyr44
Welcome to the forum. I am in Cebu now, came over from Australia in February.  I think you will find a lot has changed since 2006. If your wife has family here, she will most likely want to live close by. Most of it boils down to how you want to live and the finances you have available.  Let me know if I can help.
regards  Bruce

Hello ausdavo
Welcome to the forum and Cebu. First the bad news, read on this site the many scams etc. that target foreigners. Filipinos see us as walking ATMs, even loved ones have that mentality. The good news, living can be cheap and most of the people are friendly. Let me know when you arrive.
regards  Bruce

Hello Everyone !

Hope all of you are well.

I just arrived in Manila a few days ago and I am planning to stay here for awhile but need to settle first...

Sooooo I am currently Job hunting  :)  I've just finished upper studies in Hospitality Management and do fluently speak French, would you guys have any recommandation ?

I spend most of my days in coffees for now lol (Wifi needs obviously)

I look forward to hear from you and maybe catch up.

Cheers,

Hi and welcome to this forum Lafatra. I and I am sure others hope you find what you are looking for.
Getting a job in hospitality is easy in PH as long as you speak Tagalog, know a lot of Spanish and are prepared to work for peanuts, PHP 2 to 4K per week depending on how good you are, like the locals, providing you can secure a work permit.

Good luck and prosper.

Cheers, Steve.

Bonjour Lafatra

The salaries in the hospitality sector in the Philippines are still much higher than than in Madagascar. The problem is that most jobs in the hospitality sector are for the Filipinos. Only the luxury hotels could recruit in specific jobs some foreigners. So maybe ask first for on the job training for a first experience. So you should contact the French-Filipino chamber of Commerce and the European chamber of commerce.
Good luck

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your answer !

That is a thing I noticed in each country I traveled to, so I am prepared to it and can understand.

I am not necessarily looking for a job in the Hospitality Industry though and I am open to anything that is under my competences.

Kind regards,

Lafatra.

geolefrench wrote:

Bonjour Lafatra

The salaries in the hospitality sector in the Philippines are still much higher than than in Madagascar. The problem is that most jobs in the hospitality sector are for the Filipinos. Only the luxury hotels could recruit in specific jobs some foreigners. So maybe ask first for on the job training for a first experience. So you should contact the French-Filipino chamber of Commerce and the European chamber of commerce.
Good luck

Bonjour Geo (?),

Merci pour votre réponse.

I already applied in several hotels but still wait for them to answer, it seems that HR offices are still closed.

Thanks for the advice, but I am not French nor EU resident would they help ?

Kind regards.

Les call centers recherchent des agents qui parlent parfaitement francais. Difficult to find in the Philippines

geolefrench wrote:

Les call centers recherchent des agents qui parlent parfaitement francais. Difficult to find in the Philippines

Ce qui est une bonne chose pour moi :)) Je tenterai ma chance, merci !

*** Which is a good thing for me :) I will try my luck, thank you!

👍

HI Everyone. me and my fiance are planning to get married in the Philippines this March.

We're having a hard time to obtain the Legal Capacity to Marry from his end since there is no Embassy of Poland in the Philippines,. Can you help us if you knew any alternative documents thta can substitute this document, or if you know any agency than can help us processing this problem. Thank you!

Hi, just joined today and will be moving to Cebu in July.

Hello Terry
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you have done plenty of research and this forum can offer some good comments.  I am in Cebu right now.
regards  Bruce

Hi,

We are moving to Manila in few months and eager to absorb any information about living, entertainment, social activities and cultural tips. Following my husband's work and turning into a full time student while there.

Happy to meet new friends and creating new social circle.

Cheers,
Ferny

angelguanzon wrote:

HI Everyone. me and my fiance are planning to get married in the Philippines this March.

We're having a hard time to obtain the Legal Capacity to Marry from his end since there is no Embassy of Poland in the Philippines,. Can you help us if you knew any alternative documents thta can substitute this document, or if you know any agency than can help us processing this problem. Thank you!

Hello Angel,
That is a matter for the Polish Embassy unfortunately. Your fiance will probably have to call the embassy in Poland directly.

Welcome Ferny! Thank you for joining the forum and feel free to ask questions.

It

It might be easier if you bring your 120-220 regulated transformer.
By the way, most appliances today are auto-ranging. Check the label of your appliances.

Hello All
I'm  from the US and planning to retire to Roxas City with my fiancee.... She was born and raised  not far away and has family in the area too..Her family is fairly well off so I don't expect to be the ATM that some have talked about on these forums... What I'm hoping to get is some feedback on what people think of the area.... I was there in Dec. and liked the city, it had everything without the overcrowding of real big cities like Manila..... Any input would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks All
Ken

GoDees wrote:

Hello Terry
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you have done plenty of research and this forum can offer some good comments.  I am in Cebu right now.
regards  Bruce

Thanks Bruce. Perhaps we can meet up for coffee when I get settled in July. I am still doing a bunch of research, etc...
I do want to work a little bit. My Pinay owns a business and is expanding so she will keep me busy. But teaching is in my blood and I hope I can do a little bit. Even it its under the table.
Salud

Hi All
Currently in Novaliches, Q.C.
Looking for local Ex-Pat Community, wanting to learn the ropes on how to live here.

Hello all my name is Brian and I am thinking about moving to the Philippines i would say with in the next year or 2.
I currently live in Kansas.

If you want to live like an American bring a boatload of cash. Prescription medicine very expensive, forget hot water, like air conditioning? be sitting down when you get the electric bill. Internet is very very slow, be prepared  to time out on some sites, be blocked on other sites, watching movies on Netflix be prepared for constant buffering, your Amazon Prime movies are blocked here. Your favorite TV & Cable shows in the states are non existent here.

Pull your hair out when trying to do normal banking, things that take 15 minutes to get done in the states may take you all day here. You need a Doctors prescription for aspirins.

Need anymore good news?

Hi, new here and love to share many more experiences in the future.

Closed