New members of the Philippines forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hello Ken,  I am from the US and have just arrived in Roxas City.  Currently am searching for a place to live and finding not much available.  I was hoping to find something decent for 10,000 but no such luck, looks like it is going to be 15,000.  I've been told by the locals housing is expensive here, Roxas is growing.  People are very friendly and helpful here but there is some crime.  Not many beggars, mainly downtown. 
Have not partaken of the fresh seafood yet, can't taste anything due to a cold.

Peter

When did you move from Melbourne to Cebu? My wife (a Filipina) moved to Bohol from there is 2010, but there's a story to tell, if you don't mind being bored.

Hi,

I am in Dumaguete right now. In my travels I have also encountered 2 expats besides myself come down with the flu, one having to go to the hospital.  Mine ran its course, about 10 days.

Good luck finding a place.

Welcome Brian and Global Challenge!

Welcome Tjasper!

Sorry to hear about your flu, moonunit, I get a flu shot every year and highly recommend it here.

Flu shots can give you the Flu.

Flu shots for seniors are only 30% effective.

They try to guess in advance what strain it will be, many times they guess wrong.

I have not had the flu in the last 50 years.

W9XR wrote:

Flu shots can give you the Flu.

No, they can't.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm

Flu shots prevent millions of individual cases of the flu per year, helping to prevent pandemics. Flu can kill people, vaccinations don't. All my docs have recommended it over the years and so does my health group, so I'll take their advice, thanks.

There are however a lot of old de-bunked rumors about vaccines causing health problems which is why there's currently a measles outbreak in the US Pacific Northwest - because a bunch of no-vaxxers decided it was a good idea not to get their kids vaccinated.

You're correct that there is some guesswork on the strains every year. Last year's formula wasn't too effective for that reason, but getting the shot still helps prevent many individual cases and/or make recovery faster for those who do catch the flu.

If you want to have any further discussions, please post a new topic - this thread is for introductions.

You are the one who brought up flu in the post previous mine, so I expressed my experience. That's ok, you keep getting your shots, but how do they know it prevents flu? If you get a shot & you don't get the flu, or you don't get a shot & you don't get the flu. What's the baseline?

Ok, but it's my last post on it here, to respond to your question. That's just how vaccines work. They are preventive.  They stop outbreaks and pandemics. There's a ton of research on it as vaccines have been around a long time, maybe 200 years. Typhoid, plague, rabies, cholera, measles, and yes, influenza - you name it, there are vaccines for it and many diseases have been eradicated. When vaccines are lacking, outbreaks get worse, like in the current measles outbreak in the Pac Northwest..

Haha, the last time I got the flu I swore I would get the shot and I do now, and haven't had it since. But I also wash my hands a lot, so that's anecdotal, just like your story. Personally, I don't need to prove it, I just prefer to trust the science and doctors. I'll take any edge I can get when it comes to getting sick.

Hi guys! My name is Tumen, I am from Russia. I know I know guys, I look asian...ahah
Currently I live in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. I am planning to make some changes in my life, Hopefully this month I will be going to Philippines, I would like to get a market research related job and want to stay permanently there, even though I've never been to Philippines before..Sounds crazy. Anyways if you own a company and are looking for someone proactive with unorthodox thinking or maybe you want to open a russian market than you can address me with this. I am open for any suggestions...Yes, it feels a little scary to come to Philippines without a job offer..Please be open to write me on any matters...

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=830263

Thanks!

Closed