New members of the Malta forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi

Just moved to Gozo... trying to find out how and where to get gas and drinking water delivered also do I need to register with doctor or just show up?

Hi everyone!
I just moved to Gozo by myself a few days ago.
I am french, "self employed", and work as an independent video game developper on my own game (so working from home). As i'm therefore free to live anywhere i want, i decided to relocate in a sunny Mediterranean place -with good internet- and eventually settled for Gozo after visiting Malta first a few months ago.
I now rent an appartment in Victoria near Arkadia.
I don't know anyone here yet -and now all my friends are pretty far away- so i signed up here to see if i could meet other "digital nomads" or expats living in Gozo as well and around 30!
If there's anyone else there and also looking to meet new people, don't hesitate to send me a message!

Cheers,
Thibaud

jbolle wrote:

Hi

Just moved to Gozo... trying to find out how and where to get gas and drinking water delivered also do I need to register with doctor or just show up?

You do not gave to register with a doctor, if you should need one I can recommend Dr Joseph Farrugia his surgery is on the hill up to the Citadel in Victoria.   You have to pay €10 to see doctors here on every visit but if you wish not to pay the poly clinic in Victoria is free.
Water can be bought at the many shops or you can gave it delivered, we gave used H2 Only.  As regards gas I do not know when they deliver in Qala.

I recall Gas in Qala is Mondays. Doctor at St Josephs Pharmacy most evenings, cost €14 when I last went. Polyclinic in Victoria is free if you qualify, no need to make an appointment, just turn up and join the queue, early afternoons is best.
I think the shop just up from the Pharmacy delivers in  Qala, including bottled water.

Gozo mo,
Can i ask what removals you used to ship over small items. I requested a quote for about  137 cubic feet, all my odds and sods, too ship to gozo, the rest will flog. The price came back as £2295 + vat! I think expensive? I live in the west of uk.

Thanks

Sam

Marley7943 wrote:

Gozo mo,
Can i ask what removals you used to ship over small items. I requested a quote for about  137 cubic feet, all my odds and sods, too ship to gozo, the rest will flog. The price came back as £2295 + vat! I think expensive? I live in the west of uk.

Thanks

Sam

If you go onto category you will find moving and there should be some answers on there, good luck.
We sold just about everything on eBay and actually made a profit on some items, cannot remember what we paid for the rest as it was five years ago.

We shipped 16 x 64 litre containers on a pallet with shiplowcost for iirc £400.

Volcane,
That sounds good, i wanted to bring my settee and tv, but reluctantly decided against it to cut costs. Will look into it.
Thanks

Sam

Marley7943 wrote:

Volcane,
That sounds good, i wanted to bring my settee and tv, but reluctantly decided against it to cut costs. Will look into it.

Generally rental properties here are all furnished and people won't just take stuff out, so if you are looking to rent I'd consider carefully :)

Hi Volcane,
Thank you for the advice. I contacted the shiplowcost and they did reply, but didnt answer a question ii had,  how do my items get to the hub ? Does someone come and remove from my home to a hub in UK, then it gets shipped to Sicily,  and then collected and delivered to me?
Thank you

Sam

Good Afternoon
My name is Tony Macmillan and I am moving back to Malta next month in May . I did live in Malta in 2013/14 for a time but moved to the Caribbean for work.
I am presently looking for accommodation around Sliema /St Julians/Swieqi areas. I would also be interested in sharing a house as long as it is central.
I am very well travelled and normally join an expat group when I work in that particular country.

Regards
Tony

Hi, I am Dolores, a French woman living in the U.K. but planning on moving to Malta in September. I am actually planning on driving there with my vw van if possible as i'd Like to keep it. Any tips and advices will be much appreciated.  :cheers:

Hi Dolores
I drove to Malta from UK the last time I went to live there. My iPhone gps took me all the way there from Aberdeen Scotland. Including which ferries etc etc.
It takes two days and two ferries. Approximate cost was 700 euros including road tolls and ferries.
You can keep your be van for 6 months in Malta before you must register it. Better check that maybe it changed.

Tony

Tonymac4545 wrote:

You can keep your be van for 6 months in Malta before you must register it. Better check that maybe it changed.

Tony

not the case if you intend to settle here and become resident.  You have 3 months and the moment you get a ID card you have to register it.

Hi Volcane ,

I guessed I was wrong,but good info as I was thinking of driving down again with my Car.

Tony

Tonymac4545 wrote:

I guessed I was wrong,but good info as I was thinking of driving down again with my Car.

yeah its worth checking every aspect since if you get it wrong its a EUR20/day fine till you do eventually register the vehicle :)

Wow
ThanksTony

I am from South Africa. I have a mechanical engineering diploma and also a Project and Programme management higher diploma. I am a strong technical person, whom is not scared of getting my hands dirty. I have a 1 year Schengen visa. For the last 6 years i have been General manager for Italian multinational companies, in the building sector, cement sector, power production industries, oil and gas and Marine industries. I will be relocating to Malta in 2018. Looking for opportunities.

Hi
I'm a married man with a son(13) and a daughter(10). We as a family have decided to investigate the option of living abroad. I have a long time friend living on Gozo and recently met up with him in England and discussed Malta as an option. I have visited Malta many years and understand it has changed. We are planning a family holiday for me to show the family Malta, with a little help from my friend! I am currently self employed doing all aspects of property maintenance and landscaping and my wife owns a hair salon. I've previously worked as a graphic designer(15 years) and a qualified  female and male hairdresser.
Craig

100% agree I wouldn't bring anything, GOZO is best my blog crazybritblog.com gives a lot f info. :)

Have you changed your name. I thought you went by the name John Chalkley?

Hello Im from Slovakia but Im planning tomove in Malta this year, I would like to meet some new people. I will be in Malta in june so if someone would like to go for a coffee, text me :-)

Hi,
This site should have appropriate info in that regard.

https://identitymalta.com/citizenships/

Hi there, I'm from Hong Kong. I have always wanted to move outside and work abroad. Did a bit of research, it seems to me that as a non-EU resident, it's quite difficult to find a job in Malta, not even saying to obtain residence. Any non-EU people here can share their experience in finding jobs?

PS I'm working in IT field as a programmer / developer with a few years of experience

Good NOW to you, internet-traveller!

My family and I going to live and work in Malta. We are from Ukraine.
We are 4th. We now only collecting info and searching for apartments and school before sep 2018.
We were twice on the island before and feel happy to try to live here in near future.

Hi All,

We are a family of four who have recently relocated to Malta and we have managed to find a school place for both our kids....7 year old in school now and a 4 year old starting in October 2018.  We need advise on where best to get childcare for them once we (mum and dad) are both working.

What we need is someone to pick them up from school and bring them home and look after them for a few hours until we finish work.

Can anyone recommend a service and the cost please?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm from Portugal and I'm joining this community so I can find some help and help others.

At this time I'm thinking about opening a new company in Malta and acquire an ordinary residency.

I have been working remotely and I have been in Malta before. I liked the country very much and of course, the benefits for companies also attract my interest.

Hope to get the help I need and if possible help other members to achieve their goals.

WantToLeaveHK wrote:

Hi there, I'm from Hong Kong. I have always wanted to move outside and work abroad. Did a bit of research, it seems to me that as a non-EU resident, it's quite difficult to find a job in Malta, not even saying to obtain residence. Any non-EU people here can share their experience in finding jobs?

PS I'm working in IT field as a programmer / developer with a few years of experience

Hey! If you're a good developer some companies will be interested in your employment. But the searching will be easier if you're already here. 
I moved from Russia and I'm a developer as well.

Hey I'm from the uk recently moved to Malta was just wondering did u decided to do the move to Malta? :)

Kaydiane wrote:

Hi.

We maybe moving to Malta with out 7 year old from the UK.
Any help or advice about the move, schools, life, costs, housing etc would be welcomed :-)

Work would be located in the Luqa area but being near to a good English teaching school with vacancies would be our priority.

All seems very daunting and scary right now!

Thank you

K

Welcome to the Forum, please read all previous posts on the subjects you want to know about as they have been mentioned many times, just use search.  If you cannot find the answers hopefully someone can help you.  I would have thought there were better areas then Luqa to live, it's advisable to come over here first and have a good look around.

Hi everyone,

I'm Franzi, 26 and moving to sunny Malta in the end of July with my French Bulldog puppy Finley.
Currently looking for a room in a shared flat. I love Malta, but this is quite annoying. :D
Have been to Malta couple times last year and this year already, met some really cool people from all over the world and fell in love with this island. I was traveling a lot the last two years, but Malta is different from all the places I've been so far..
So I just quit my job as a refugee counsellor in Germany and decided to study my Master in Malta. Not sure yet whether I will get a place at the university, but we will see what happens. :D

Franzi

@Franzi Ri

With reference to your remark that seeking a room in a shared flat is quite annoying, it will, at least, afford you a direct personal insight into the traumatic ordeal that refugees have to endure in Malta in the same predicament - multiplied by 100.

Hello there,

I am non-EU and i believe i can give you some info. The hardest part is not to find a job i think. You need to find a company willing to come down to the immigration with you and explain why they need you more than they need an EU or maltese citizen.
Beside that,people are lovely here, low crime and sunny. Just humidity and the heat can be or not a problem. Depending on where you come from

Hi all,

My family and I are Moving to Gozo on Wednesday ( Eeeek ), We are really looking forward to the change of lifestlye that we have wanted for so long.
We have visited the Islands many times so are familiar with the areas and everything and I have done my research on the cost of living etc.
The only thing that is confusing me slightly is the different tarrifs for bills and which one is best to be on, and the process for the residency as there seems to be many types of this too.
If anyone could help with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Lara

lara7950 wrote:

Hi all,

My family and I are Moving to Gozo on Wednesday ( Eeeek ), We are really looking forward to the change of lifestlye that we have wanted for so long.
We have visited the Islands many times so are familiar with the areas and everything and I have done my research on the cost of living etc.
The only thing that is confusing me slightly is the different tarrifs for bills and which one is best to be on, and the process for the residency as there seems to be many types of this too.
If anyone could help with this it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Lara

Welcome to the Forum, have you got somewhere lined up to live?  If you are renting irs advisable to agree with your landlords to make sure you are on the cheaper tariff, although now you can get it changed without their authority.
There is only one residency card which you can apply for in Victoria, what you have to prove is if you are not working you are self sufficient I.e. pension etc, if you are intending working you need to show work contracts etc and if not retired may need health insurance.
Good luck, it's very hot here now so hope all goes well.

Yes we have a place lined up so will speak to the landlord about the tarriffs. We will be working so do we get the residency card first or wait till we have the work contracts? We have enough to support ourselves at first but not to prove self sufficiency.

lara7950 wrote:

Yes we have a place lined up so will speak to the landlord about the tarriffs. We will be working so do we get the residency card first or wait till we have the work contracts? We have enough to support ourselves at first but not to prove self sufficiency.

You have upto three months before you have to apply for your cards.

@lara7950

In response to your question about the differing water and electricity consumption tariffs for households, please see: 

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 11#3410702

Greetings everyone!
My name is Francesco and I just moved here from Italy to work as a designer.
After a couple of pretty depressing "lone wanderer" weekends and understanding that Maltese colleagues are friendly until 6pm I decided to look into the expat community!
Enough with the drama though, I'm 25, at the moment residing in marsaskala (looking to move away) I love being around people but I don't prefer packed places where it gets hard to have a conversation, I'm a big geek and love most of the geeky stuffs. That said I'm getting off the bus now. Hope to get to know some of you!

Welcome to the Forum, there is a topic on here about meeting people and making friends which may be of interest to you, good luck.

Closed