Registering a birth in Switzerland

Hello everyone,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in Switzerland? What was the experience like?

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

What documents are usually required in Switzerland?

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Birth registration is usually made by the hospital. The hospital can inform you in advance on the documents that need to be brought. Non-married couples beware: take care that the father officially acknowledges being the father of the child. This can be done already before the birth and will simplify matters considerably. It can also be done after the birth but I would recommend

Swiss citizenship is inherited through birth: the child will be Swiss whenever either the father or the mother (or both) is (are) Swiss. Swiss law does not put any limitations to double citizenship, but it may be the case that the "other" nationality puts limitations, like, requiring to have only one citizenship and the need to give up the other.

Hello Priscilla,
Twina's answer is right. As for me, having got married to a swiss in Uganda, I automatically became Swiss at that time my children too,though they were born here. This was at a time that Uganda didn't allow dual citizenship and the best solution was to drop the ugandan citizenship to facilatate my entry into switzerland. Today if you are married to a swiss you will have to wait for over 5/7 years to get the nationality status.
  I liked her information which is right to the point.
Take care and good luck,
Jane