Management couple

Hi guys,
My husband and I are planning a move to Bali (possibly.. more on that in another thread at another time..), with our daughter. My husband is Sumatran, and I am British. We have lived together on Sumatra for the past three years and I hold a KITAP VISA. We run a small home stay business that is very popular and highly rated, despite being opened less than a year ago.
We both have extensive hospitality experience and speak both English and Bahasa fluently.
Is it at all likely that we might be able to find a bar/hotel management couple job on Bali? As I'm typing I'm feeling more and more doubtful..
I look forward to any replies,
Thanks all,
Jen

Your KITAP helps a lot because you can engage in part time, informal work legally WITHOUT a work permit.
No contracts and no full time work, and check in with immigration to make sure  they don't have any objections.
Manpower can take a running jump as they have nothing to do with KITAP holders doing informal work.
There's very little stopping you doing one off visits to local schools if that's your cup of tea.
If possible, your best bet is to try the homestay business as no one should bother you at all if you're working in your husband's place.

Hi Fred, thanks for taking the time to reply. I am aware of my legal rights with the KITAP, my question was more aimed at whether those types of jobs (couple management positions) are ones that come up on the Bali job market or not.
Unfortunately, the home stay business is unsustainable. We operate out of my in laws home, and as such the lions share of our income immediately goes to my husbands family. What is left gives us enough to buy basic necessities for our 10 month old (read: milk), and not much more. We can't up our rates because of the facilities, and we can't improve our facilities because we have no money. We have looked into other options (ie renting our own property and building up slowly) but have hit hurdles (no suitable properties locally, husbands family doesn't want us to take away their passive income..). Also, looking further ahead, schools locally are frankly crap. -not that we could actually afford to send her to one anyway at the moment. And there are so few expats living locally that she is already being singled out and treated differently, by everyone.
We are at a point of having to make changes for our little family, and I'm tentatively trying to figure out the right thing to do..
Any advice gratefully received,
Jen

Money can he earned legally by visiting local schools, that should net around Rp500,000 a day in poor areas. You should get a lot of work once you're known in the area, more so if there are hardly any white, English bule speaking around.
You'll need an outgoing personality and loads of confidence but not much more at first.
If a place asks you go go weekly, read the text books and work out how to teach the spoken word based on what's in them.
I can offer you  bunch of tips and practical stuff that'll help you out if you take that path.
It won't produce a regular income but it can get you out of a hole.

Hi Fred, sorry for taking so long to reply.
Yes, that sounds like a pretty good option, and I would be very grateful for any advice on how to go about it.
We won't be making the move for a few months what with getting everything sorted for the family to take over the business here, and all of the general organizational stuff that seems suddenly so much more important with a baby..!
In a way it's a blessing being able to take our time and plan, but we are both developing a pretty bad case of itchy feet..

Send me a private message with an email address and I'll send you a bunch of handy stuff.
If you're concerned about giving an email to a stranger, just create a new one and use that.
I keep an old address I use for forums and stuff I know will spam me (insurance companies and that sort of stuff) in the hope of keeping my real email address clear of all the rubbish.

A note worth mentioning again - Make sure you keep immigration informed of whatever you intend to do.

They tend to be strict on Bali because it's very popular and a lot abuse their immigration status.
If you keep immigration informed and they don't express any objections, you're safe.

https://coconuts.co/bali/news/expats-de … k-permits/

Singaraja Immigration in North Bali has deported two foreigners for moonlighting as dive instructors, outside the capacity of their work permits.

The foreigners, identified as a 43-year-old Canadian man and a 29-year-old Danish woman, had Indonesian KITAS work permits, but for different jobs, which didn't exactly involve teaching scuba. The Canadian had a KITAS in his role as president director of a tourist attraction, while the Danish woman had her permit to work as a sales marketing manager, according to head of Singaraja Class II Immigration office, Victor Manurung.