Schools in Uruguay

Hello!
I have two children; a 15 year old daughter and a 5 year old son.
I therefore have a question about schools. I want my children to go an English-speaking school; whether it's American, British or Australian, I don't care. As long as the main language spoken in the school is English.
What would you suggest? Do you have any children going to those schools as well? What is their opinion about the schools they go to, and what are yours?
How much do you have to pay every month for the school?

Thank you in advance for answering!

Regards,
Lucy

Hello Lucy,

Although most private schools in Uruguay teach English or are bilingual (half day in Spanish and half day in English).
There are two private schools that have English as their main language: The Uruguayan American School and The British School.

The Uruguayan American School is the most expensive in Uruguay. I am not sure exaclty how much the tuition is. I remember an expat commenting it was close to 15k per year. Here is a link to their website: uas.edu.uy/:UAS
Here is a link to british.edu.uy:The British School

I hope this helps!

If you are interested in finding more about this, please let me know.

Hello Caldeyrovictorica,
thank you for answering; I thought I'd never get a reply.
Unfortunately, I never managed to find out the price for the British School; I managed to do so for the American School though.

Would you perhaps know something about German schools in Montevideo? (My children speak German as well).

As I've interpreted it, you apparently work for Real Estate company?
Could you please send me a link to your blog?
I'm coming on the 17th of April, merely to see what houses I could buy there. May I contact you?

Regards,
Lucy

Hello Liu,

Yes, the German School is quite good too. Their website is dsm.edu.uy/

[Moderated: No free ads- Use private message instead]

If you have any more questions please let me know :)

Take care!

Eduardo

Hello ~ I just returned to Uruguay after being away for close to four decades and am interested in the schools mentioned earlier that teach both Spanish and English. 

I am also interested in knowing what the job market is like and rental properties (prices, location, etc.) but, that would be after I've located a school.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Lucy

Yes, there are schools at the level of your children that use English. There is the English-Uruguayan high school and there is an British school.  These are private and expensive. We looked into the High School and the tuition  was $12,000 per year. The students were  either Uruguayans or the children of diplomats or business people who would only be here for a year or two. To attend a college or University here you must speak Spanish. My wife(Swedish) and I(American) have an 18 year old son who does not speak Spanish so he will have to learn it or go somewhere else to college.

Regards,

Roy and Ann-Christine

I went to the old Uruguayan-American School on Calle Dublin, and had many friends at the British School of Montevideo. The important thing to remember is that these schools are not just about the language, but the cultures. From dress codes, to holidays, the music, arts, etc., you must consider what the kids will adapt to the best. As an American, UAS was a great fit for me, but with the size of the expat communities, you end up socializing with most of the other expat groups. I ended up dating girls from the UK, Italy and Germany. I found myself in a kilt dancing reels, jigs and waltzes. Uruguay is a WONDERFUL country full of amazing people, and anyone who is open to it will have a life-changing experience. I'm trying to retire to Uruguay in the future.

Cheers!

Hi Lucy,

My son goes to elbio Fernandez in Montevideo downtown...it's a billingual school i.e. both Spanish and English but most of the subjects are in spanish.  The school timings are 8 am to 5.30 pm. School fee is 600 usd including sports like swimming, football, basket ball etc.

Thanks
Ash

@Ashwani gupta is it 600usd a month, a semester, or a year?

Hello Kat Rivera,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

I doubt that Ashwani gupta will reply to you as her last visit was 3 years ago.

You should start your own thread on the Uruguay forum to ask your questions.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Closed