Women sanitary products in the Philippines: THE STRUGGLE

As a woman, growing up in Europe I had many choices when it came to sanitary products. From super absorbent pads to the tiniest silky smooth tampons. Coming to the Philippines and realizing that tampons are so rare that most of the citizens don't even know what they are, I've experienced somewhat of a culture shock.

I didn't expect a country that's surrounded by water and tropical weather to not have tampons. Pads can be very uncomfortable when the temperature rises. Moisture will collect, it will become damp and starts to smell and become itchy: the horror. And what am i supposed to use if I would like to swim on my period?

After days of searching I've finally found some. One of them was kotex, I used one pack of this because I'm really not a fan of tampons like those. It looked like a badly sewn up napkin once you took it out of the applicator, same as tampax and playtex. It also left material residues inside the body when it opens because they use this very fuzzy material for their products.

I continued with my journey to find some decent tampons. Then I found this brand Ladouce tampons at the Bohol quality mall, which looks (and feels) exactly like my go to tampon brand in the Netherlands. I truly felt so happy that I've at least found one decent tampon brand in the Philippines. Now I can't go to Bohol every time I have my period, or I will have to order them online at Lazada, but what if I need them immediately?

So my question is: Where can I purchase some Ladouce tampons or tampons that are similar to it? No kotex, tampax, playtex etc. and only non-applicator ones please, had some terrible experiences with applicators.

Not really a solution but maybe this can be a good startup since there is an obvious gap in the market.

Thanks Markad, there's definitely a market for it. But most Filipino citizens  don't even know what a tampon is and thinks its super scary once you explain what it is. So it would difficult to sell them to locals.

You don't have to sell it to everybody.

Here is an angle: The Philippines culture actually encourages empowerment of a woman. We have more women in a managerial position than most countries, I think we rank 4th. A lot of women are more active today. (The need)

However, Filipina is also very shy with anything that is sexual in nature or goes near the private parts. Filipinas are generally uninformed about anything regarding reproductive health and the likes. (it is not because they don't want it, they just don't know about it)

Target only women that desperately need it first. That is how it is with any startup. Target the niche. Maybe the active woman or athletes. The advantage of targeting the niche of active women is that they are also the influencers of woman community. Once the influencer accepted it, the chance of it being accepted by most is higher.

Hmm.. I think I'm way off the topic already. For now, I think you have no choice but to keep some on a storage or you have to buy from Lazada regularly. Other option, maybe you can do something with the problem and be able to help Filipinas be informed.

Cheers,

Mark

Wow, thanks for the clear explanation! I wasn't aware of this. If i ever have the funds to start a business, i will definitely consider your advice.

And yes, for now it's probably the best to keep ordering from Lazada.