Moving to Ecuador, city unsure

Hi Everyone, I am a single parent with 2 young children. I am looking to move to Ecuador. I don't mind which city as my main focus would be to find work and comfortable accommodation. I am quite nervous about move as I don't know anyone in the country but have been there twice before and liked it very much and would love to bring up my children here. I would love to get a job as translator in a bank or government office, or even work as English Teacher. I have done TEFL course and currently work in housing management here in England. English is my native tongue but I do speak Spanish fluently too.

I have considered moving to Cuenca but I am aware that due to the amount of expat resident there things such as accommodation and general expenses are higher than other cities.  that aside and if I could possibly find work in Cuenca this would be my city of choice. the other options would be coastal cities.

any advise would be much appreciated

niarey wrote:

I have considered moving to Cuenca but I am aware that due to the amount of expat residents there, things such as accommodation and general expenses are higher than other cities.  that aside and if I could possibly find work in Cuenca, this would be my city of choice. the other options would be coastal cities.

Dear Niarey,

Welcome to the Ecuador forum.

Employment possibilities are probably better for you in Quito -- big city population, various corporate headquarters, international capital, many locals wanting to learn English -- than on the coast.

It's also seismically safer in Quito than living along the Ring of Fire.

cccmedia

cccmedia wrote:

It's also seismically safer in Quito than living along the Ring of Fire.
cccmedia

But Quito has had devastating earthquakes, just not any real bad ones lately:
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist … to-ecuador

When I lived there for several years, I only experienced 2 very mild quakes that did no damage except it's the strangest feeling, everything is in motion.  And we had one hail storm I remember with pea-sized hail that coated flat surfaces in white for almost a half-hour before melting!

There is a young population out here in the Montañita, Olon, Manglaralto area. This is low season now but high season, Temporado has many language schools and while pay is low, living is easy and it's a great, fun, bohemian lifestyle.

Something to consider!

Susan

niarey wrote:

Hi Everyone, I am a single parent with 2 young children. I am looking to move to Ecuador. I don't mind which city as my main focus would be to find work and comfortable accommodation. I am quite nervous about move as I don't know anyone in the country but have been there twice before and liked it very much and would love to bring up my children here. I would love to get a job as translator in a bank or government office, or even work as English Teacher. I have done TEFL course and currently work in housing management here in England. English is my native tongue but I do speak Spanish fluently too.

I have considered moving to Cuenca but I am aware that due to the amount of expat resident there things such as accommodation and general expenses are higher than other cities.  that aside and if I could possibly find work in Cuenca this would be my city of choice. the other options would be coastal cities.

any advise would be much appreciated

You more or less answered your own question as to which city. Move to your first choice, Cuenca, and take it from there. In any scenario, make sure to have enough reserve money to sustain your life while searching for employment.

There's also the issue of schooling for your young ones, so give that some consideration as well. Good luck.