I found my soulmate in the UK...Visa problems!!

So I came to England in September 2009 on a Youth Mobility Scheme 2 yr visa, arrived in a hostel in London in December 2009 and met my beautiful boyfriend in the first few days. We have been together (and more importantly - living together) ever since.

We have had some anxious conversations about our future and it seems like a very scary trying task. We have even resorted to talking about just going ahead and getting married. This isn't the worst option - BUT to do this in time would mean my family couldn't make it here to be involved :-(

So I have been researching different visa option:

Fiancee Visa - Not really suitable, to switch to this means we would have to get married within the 6 months visa - and I wouldn't be able to work (NOT AN OPTION IN LONDON)

Unmarried/Partner Defacto Visa - Probably the more desiraable option - BUT it looks like we would have needed to live together for 2 years AND that isn't a fact until December. I might have to arrange a tourist Visa for the months in between - which again means I am not allowed to work...a tough feat if you want to live in London!

This is a very tough thing as I have made a life here without realising the dificulty of the consequences, and for the life of me - DO NOT want to lose it.

My partner cannot obtain a working visa for australia as he is now too old and also we may have some trouble as he has a criminal record from years ago.

If anybody else has been in the same or similar situation, i could use some advice and would love to hear of any horror or success stories!!

Hi PonyM! :)

Welcome to Expat.com!
Indeed it is a rather tough situation but we hope that members who have gone through the same problems will share their experience with you soon.

Wishing you good luck
Armand

Sorry, but there are no other options.  My advice would be if you are sure your BF is "the one for you", to get legally married (you may have to obtain an COA) and then have a ceremony later so your family can attend.  Sometimes practicality has to come before the fun stuff.

Also, you need to be aware that you cannot simply "switch" visa categories from within the UK.  You will need to return to Oz to apply for another visa.

Blog: beyondthequeen.blogspot.com