Going up to Tagatay

I am thinking of going up to Tagatay, but dont know the way.
Then up north somewhere, maybe subic freeport.

Anyone care to be a tour guide?

Don

dhnindc wrote:

I am thinking of going up to Tagatay, but dont know the way.
Then up north somewhere, maybe subic freeport.

Anyone care to be a tour guide?

Don

Hi fellas,
Sorry Owenlck, I'll hijack your thread a bit to help out dhnindc.  Tagaytay weather is so nice this time of year but can also be a bit nippy. I actually had to wear a fleece jacket  when I was there in Feb. I can suggest directions if you don't have any by now and a few notable places to just chill and eat or play golf. 
The easiest to follow but the longest drive distance wise and to me the most boring route but less traffic and stop lights along the way.
1.    You can take the “SLEX” 
2.    Exit at Santa Rosa-Tagaytay Rd exit and turn right onto the road.
3.    Santa Rosa-Tagaytay Rd. is a long ass road so might get bored here
4.    Right turn at Tagaytay-Calamba Rd.
5.    Drive 1.5-2 miles ( from here you should be able to see Taal Lake and Volcano  to your left) and you'll encounter a circle. Go through the circle and  drive another œ mile now you are in the touristy part of Tagaytay eg. Starbucks, ect.
6.    I you are staying overnight, there are a few bed and breakfast places but I checked them out and I found them to be over priced for what you get. So, I found Taal Vista to be a decent place to stay and you have an awesome view as well of  Taal Volcano.

Here's the othe route but could be a bit more complicated if you're not patient or adventurous but I found it to be the most direct and interesting but also the most heavily traffic route, so if you take this route, I suggest you leave before 5am to avoid the traffic along the way. If you leave late, traffic will be bumper to bumper on “coastal highway” and Emilio Aguinaldo highway in Bacoor rand Imus. It can get frustrating, specially if it starts to rain. This route has more gas stations along the way and places to eat such as KFC, Micky D's etc  specially at the halfway point in Dasmarinas,Cavite.
1.    From  Roxas Blvd. take Manila-Cavite Expway or “Coastal Highway” as the taxi drivers or locals call it
2.    Exit at Emilio Aguinaldo highway and turn right.  You are now in Bacoor. If you made it here with no traffic, you will make good time. You will pass an SM here.
3.    Continue on  E.Aguinaldo highway and you will pass Imus (another  possible traffic bottle neck)
4.    Continue on this road and you will also pass Dasmarinas. You will pass an SM here, so be patient if traffic starts to slow down a bit but once you pass this SM, you are home free from traffic and can drive as fast as you want but I wouldn't recommend it .
5.    Continue on this road and you will enter Silang (this place is interesting if you have the time to explore it)
6.    You will pass by SANTIS DELICATESSEN  on the right side while driving through Silang. I highly recommend this place if you want good European products eg cold cuts, cheese ect. I love the food here. I was told the owner is Swiss but I can't confirmed that.
7.    Continue on this road until you encounter the same circle as in the direction above and turn right to the restaurant rows of Tagaytay. If you turn left in the circle, it will take you to Picnic Grove.

I don't know what you're into but whenever I go here, I look for nice places to just chill out or a nice place to eat. You can search these places if you want more info.

Places to eat (Avoid the Starbucks area)
1.    Fire Lake Grill- this is one of my favorite places to eat in the Tagaytay. It has a beautiful view of Taal Lake and is very private and secluded unlike the Starbucks area.  Great steaks and seared tuna salad here.
2.    Antonios- great restaurant, probably one of the best in the Philippines but has no view and is a bit pricey
3.    Amoroma- great Italian rest. I've been a big fan of this place since they were in Alabang but now the Italian owner built a bed and breakfast rest in Tagaytay. I met the owner and is married to a Filipina, his wife is the chef. I love this place. This place is near Picnic Grove.
4.    Sonias Garden- I think the actual address is Alfonso but very close to Tagaytay. This place is definitely different. It feels like you're dining amongst flowers and vegetables. You can get a nice couples massage here also
Places to Play golf
1.    The Highlands of Tagaytay- this place is awesome. You have to be a member to get in. It's a different world once inside. It feels like you're in the Swiss Alps once inside this private club. It even has a zoo.
2.    Splendido- can get in without membership to dine but to play golf I believe membership is needed here.

Places to stay (these are the places I checked out, there's more
1. Taal Vista- very nice place
2. Verbana- bed and breakfast but a bit over price for  what they offer plus it's too noisy, it's near the road

Beaches
Batangas beaches are another 45-1hr or so.   That's another thread.

Thanks for the write-up. Should put a sticky on it.

For option 1, how long does it take to drive up? Do we still need to leave at 5am?

Also, I have a motoycle as well. Is it ok to ride it up?

Don

dhnindc wrote:

Thanks for the write-up. Should put a sticky on it.

For option 1, how long does it take to drive up? Do we still need to leave at 5am?

Also, I have a motoycle as well. Is it ok to ride it up?

Don

For option 1

I guess you're coming from Makati and if you leave during the weekdays, there is traffic but it's not as bad unless you go there when it's raining. Most of the commuters are going the opposite way to Makati. You don't need to leave that early and you should make it within 2.5 to 3hrs depending on how many stops you make.
If you travel there during the weekend, you should be fine and there won't be much traffic.

Motorcycle
I too, love riding the bike but I wasn't daring enough to try it out because I saw how aggressive the bus drivers and truckers drive their vehicles along the highway. Another thing I noticed while driving down there, a lot of the jeepney drivers ignore the red light once you get down to the provincial areas because there  are not many traffic cops patrolling, so that was sort of a wake up call.
You might be more of a biker than I am and have more experience so, I think you should be fine riding the bike there. Just make sure you head back in daylight because the roads are not well lit and  a lot of the jeepneys around this area seem to like driving with only 1 head light and sometimes no tail light at all.
But, once you get to Tagaytay, riding the motorcycle would be an awesome experience indeed. In fact, there are even cycling clubs here as well, as in ten speed bikes riding along Tagaytay road.

Tagaytay is indeed nice, I hope you enjoy it.