My 3 kids & I want to Move to Puerto Rico but the situation worries me

Any advice if this is a good move for me? I'm going to start school
Aug. 25th, I'm going for Audio Engineering and Cinematography. My kids
are 15, 13 & 11 YO. They don't speak english but I do, I was born and raised
in the Island...

I don't understand the concern, if they speak Spanish it will be smooth, you did say they don't speak English or was that a typo?

I meant to say they don't speak spanish Lol

Not aware of any public English schools other than those for the military. 3 kids in private schools would be a big drain. Must be prepared for that

Some schools are moving towards teaching bilingual classes in the island. You may want to check into that. Most schools will accommodate and help the kids adapt. My suggestion will be to be involve, speak with the teachers, most likely they will find friends that will help them adapt. Specially since you know the language and can help them.
Other solution will be homeschooling, some members with kids had gone that route.

Please read this article. Articles like this are coming out on a near daily basis. Why send your kids to a place where the public schools are going to face even greater budget crisis? And it's not like they were well funded to begin with.

And what economic opportunities will you have there? What economic opportunities will your kids have there when they become 18? I would not move there unless you are guaranteed a job that will pay you enough to afford the best private schools for all three of your kids.

I fully agree with NomadLawyer.
It beats me why anybody who isn't sure of a reasonable income would want to move to the island these days.
As for education, the public school system is of a low standard and you're really lucky if you find a school where part of the lessons are being taught in English.

We do not know his finances, you guys may be making an assumption.

True, you got a point there.

Still the advice is generally good. I wouldn't recommend anyone to move here these days unless they have an income secured one way or another.
Also the public school system is not the best and right now with schools closing all over, programs being cancelled etc. I wouldn't recommend to send kids there, especially if they don't speak Spanish..

Gary wrote:

True, you got a point there.

Still the advice is generally good. I wouldn't recommend anyone to move here these days unless they have an income secured one way or another.
Also the public school system is not the best and right now with schools closing all over, programs being cancelled etc. I wouldn't recommend to send kids there, especially if they don't speak Spanish..

I have to diss agree, maybe because I study in the island and have family that have kids in school there I see it a bit different. Yes, schools are in bad shape, needing resources and more oversight. Not all schools are bad and still good teachers doing their best with the little they have. But look at the professionals that other states come to the island to reclute. Parents are more involved in the kids education and watching that they get an education. You see bad apples and issues everywhere, look at schools in major US cities with metal detectors in the doors and major gang issues.
Don't get me wrong, my advice will be the same as yours, to come here without a secure income is a major gamble I will not take. If I was a expat with school kids the education system in the island will be a major culture shock I would not expose my kids to.

adlin20 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, my advice will be the same as yours, to come here without a secure income is a major gamble I will not take. If I was a expat with school kids the education system in the island will be a major culture shock I would not expose my kids to.

That's the point I am trying to make, nothing more, nothing less. :)

I had a discussion with some of the other forum experts and their point of view in general was to provide the facts and only give targeted opinions when asked. Their sites are a lot quieter with no members fighting as to who is right or wrong.

I am very guilty of providing advice even if not asked and very guilty of attempting to dissuade people that I think may be making a possible suicidal financial mistake. I am trying real hard to be a little like the other experts but it is hard not to advice like I been doing in the past.

Back on the subject: my point was that nobody I know can easily afford to send 3 kids to private schools but even if they could "it would be a heavy toll or financial drain regardless of income". This presumes little.

Yes PR is currently in a financial problem and about 167 public schools will be closed in the remainder of this year alone. Who knows how many the year after. Quality I been told (i am not in the island) that is going down, In my opinion part of the quality issue is the schools, a lot is the student and the rest is the parents. I never did good in school, I was bored, I could learn more from a book than from listening in a classroom and my favorite activity was experimenting with the ideas and things I learned. While my parents did not pushed me or looked over my shoulder, they knew I was curious and self driven. I was A in maths and all sciences, and F in Spanish for not wanting to read Don Quijote, I would much prefer a science fiction book for my report. I was and continue to be a GEEK.

Me and you both Rey! Sad to say, English and Spanish weren't my favorite subjects in school.

I believe good and respectful discussions are helpful to the folks in the forum. We may have different opinions based on our experiences, it doesn't mean you're wrong and I am right (unless I am arguing with the wife, then I am always wrong lol).

adlin20 wrote:

(unless I am arguing with the wife, then I am always wrong lol).

Ain't that the truth! :D

I think everyone is giving accurate info here...just figured I'd pipe in with our experience...and to forewarn you I am biased...I love living here!
Moving from the Denver area a year ago...sure there are jobs, but ....we left behind skyrocketing rents (try to find a 1 bedroom under $1300!!)and home sales are approaching the unaffordable.....horrific traffic.."great" schools with pervasive drug problems...increasing crime and drug activity everywhere...the once hip downtown walking mall of Denver is now lined with Heroin dealers and their lookouts...with the traveling bands of homeless teens aggressively panhandling....
Compare to our peaceful condo 10 min to beach or rainforest...Friendly locals, lively and beautiful culture, delicious local food and produce...lovely weather...Our oldest 2 are doing an online high school we are happy with...my youngest is homeschooling for now but I would consider a local school in the future. (We speak English...trying to learn Spanish ....)
I have actually heard good things about the schools from Rio Grande to Ceiba. Granted, job-wise we rely on a telecommuting position based in the states, so I can only speak from that point of view.
I think in this world, in this day and age, nowhere is perfect- you have to pick your poison/the lesser of the evils.  We did thoroughly check it out before we moved here, so there were few surprises when we did. These forums and folks like ReyP helped immensely.

Wow I never heard of online HS! Can you tell me more about it?

It's with Penn Foster out of Pennsylvania. It's about $1000 for the entire high school program if you pay up front -or you can make monthly payments as low as $50.
It was the most affordable option I found that was both accredited and flexible/can be done at the students pace...

Hi Leyito,

Here's an online school http://www.internationalconnectionsacademy.com that I often see commercials for. I live in NYC where most schools including elementary have metal detectors and police and/or security guards on site. It is assumed that education is better in the states than in PR when most major cities in the states face the same security, overcrowding, poor education and low funding here, as well. In NYC some schools have serious violence issues, too. It's not a PR vs. states thing and more about location location location.

I live in the Riverdale section of the Bronx where public schools are highly rated. However, with schools closing down Riverdale will soon be facing overcrowding, too. Not to mention, possibly more cuts in funding. From my research so far Aguada has some really good public and private schools. Also, I believe Isabella and Rincon, too. I have family that went to public school in Barceloneta (Embery section) that had a good experience. They really worked with my Puerto Rican born family that moved to the states then back to PR loosing their spanish and had to relearn it again in public school. Whatever you decide I wish you the best with everything.