English Speaking Schools

I am wondering what English speaking schools you all could recommended besides the ones that are most popular (& expensive) I know about Baldwin, St Johns, Tasis, Caribbean School & Robinson. I am wondering if there are any not as popular but still good schools. And If not English Speaking what are the best Private non English speaking? I am also having a hard time finding any in Rincon.

BTW - This is for a possible move to PR. My son will most likely be Kindergarten. Just gathering general info about schools for now.

Thanks!

Academia Perpetuo Socorro in Miramar is a good school. They teach in Spanish until Grade 3, I believe, and primarily in English after that (it runs through High School). It's about 7.5k per year for tuition for elementary.

Cupey has an English-speaking private school called Cupeyville School as well that is cheaper than most of the other "elite" schools. It's about 5.5 - 6k per year for elementary.

There's also Commonwealth High School (in Hato Rey) and Commonwealth-Parkville School (for elementary school) in the San Juan area. They are affiliated and excellent schools that cost about 10,000 per year if memory serves correct.
http://www.cpspr.org/home

Thanks so much!!

OMG, I can not get over how much more expensive the private schools are in PR compared to Orlando, FL...

So we really like the Dorado area so far. But the Dorado Academy has an admittance fee of over $4000 JUST TO ENROLL. ouch. SO the search continues.

We can't afford private school either :(  no worries, will try to home school and also I heard there maybe some affordable Catholic private schools--way less than the ones listed. We are moving next week so I will check them out--its too hard long distance for me--no one returns emails or phone calls anyways.  There are charter schools there but from what I understand you have to 'know someone' to get in--that it isn't a fair way to actually get accepted--but hey, worth a try and those are free.

There are cheaper schools that bill themselves as English schools, but based on what I've seen and heard, they are not very good and they have many students who have failed to learn English even though they've been enrolled in these "English" schools for years. They also do not have a particularly good reputation, which is important when it comes to getting your kids into a good English speaking high school (which will be very expensive).

Putting aside kids who can be successfully home-schooled (which is a movement I strongly support), if you fail to get your kids into a high school in PR with a solid reputation, your kids' chances of getting into a good college will be seriously diminished (as will their preparedness for college-level work). And if your kids ever decide to live in PR when they are of working age, having gone to a high school with a solid reputation will be crucial to them having the needed connections to get good white-collar jobs (of which there are very, very few and 99% of the time only the best connected get them).

If you have school-age children but do not make/have enough money to pay for the private schools I and others on this site have mentioned, then in my opinion you should not move to PR. If you cannot afford the private schools, it is an indication that you do not have the resources to make a successful move and have a solidly decent, North American-like lifestyle once in PR. It is also an indication that it will be very hard for you to have the resources to make a successful relocation out of PR should my warnings prove prescient.

I know that is a bit harsh of me to write but I do so because I hope to save your families from disappointment, heartbreak and financial ruin. As a bankruptcy lawyer in PR, I've seen it happen. Keep in mind that PR has LOST population over the last decade because people cannot get by on modest incomes due to the high cost of living and they have no prospects for advancement in that economy. It's easy for the well-off Puerto Ricans and North Americans to stay in PR because they make enough money to cover the very high cost of living and actually enjoy the place. Why would you move to a place that has a lower standard of living then where you are if only to go through the same financial difficulties as the natives?

steph120765 - I will be very interested to hear when you find out when you actually start searching in person. Good Luck!

NomadLawyer - Yes maybe a bit harsh, but no worries. Rest assured that when and if we move there my kids WILL go to private schools. I was just stating the fact that they are VERY pricey and I was surprised at how much more then the schools around here. Thanks though!

Hi, LACruz. I should have clarified that I was not addressing my post to you and Steph120765 but to whoever may read this topic. My apologies.

The Palmas Academy is an all English school in Humacao and it's about $5,000 for high school so I imagine its less for elemental. My daughter attended the 10th grade there and she loved it. We had to move, but if we have to move back to PR I will send my daughter there again.

I had gone through the same thing as you last summer, looking for a reasonable Bilingual school for my grandson who is not a Spanish speaker and unfortunately when I was looking, they were already full.

To make a long story short, I put him in the local school and he still has not fully learned Spanish. I had called a Bilingual school in Aguadilla called the 1st Bilingual Prep and the rates were very reasonable but since we did not have a car then, we couldn't put him in there but we recently called, since now we are mobile and went to see the school and was amazed at hoe nice it is. It is a small school with only about 12-15 students in each class and they begin in Kindergarten until grade 12. So we are considering putting him in for his last year.

I suggest that you look up the web site- 1stbilingualprep.com and make a trip there and you might be pleasantly surprised at this diamond in the rough. All the classes are in English except Spanish and they have activities and a very nice computer lab with an American teacher.  We are planning on taking our grandson there for a visit and hopefully get him in there next August .Good luck.

hi,
I am Indian and planning to shift to PR, what is the ideal salary for family of 2+2 to survive and save some money for future.
Pvt. School fees is very high it seems to be, what are the chances of admission for people coming from other country? my kids studying in IGCSE board here back in India, what are the scope of copping with PR curriculum?
it would be great help if some one can guide me with above queries.
regards

Hi,

Not sure where you will be located, but in Aguadilla there is a great bilingual private school.  firstbilingualprep.com/

The fees are approximately $150/month per kid, so it is relatively inexpensive.  I live in Rincon in a 3 bedroom house.  My rent is $600/month. Utilities about $150.  I would say for a family of 4 it is good to make about $40000 per year.  Not sure where you work or how you get your income.  I work from home.

Good luck :)

Oh, if you live in San Juan it's more expensive, but I have a friend who was hired at the mall to open the new Pottery Barn store.  They are paying employees $30 - $60,000 per year.  Pretty good.  But it is more expensive and a big city.  Not my kind of place.

Liz

Without Walls Academy, opened this year, adjacent to the Church without Walls, in Puntas, Rincón; (the school has walls!). I believe that they have a few slots open... look them up on fb,

Nomad Lawyer is right...just because a school is private does not mean it is a good school. I have heard that many are not much better than public schools.  Dorado Academy is a great school with a great reputation...the $4000 admission fee is a one time fee that lasts until Senior year. Then every year you just pay a small fee. So the admissions "matricula" actually ends up being less than some other private schools.

I was wondering how you like the school and how your children like it my family and I are considering moving to p.r and would love more insight about schools and work.

Hi Mes.Thang,

The last post on this topic is from 2015.

Please particpate on the recently created ones or a create a new topic if you want further assistance. :)

Regards,

Sarvesh
expat.com

Sarvesh,
    Interesting comment. If you want someone to start a new thread, then WHY haven't you taken down the "OLD" one?  This from a MODERATOR??????  Interesting

gls2163 wrote:

Sarvesh,
    Interesting comment. If you want someone to start a new thread, then WHY haven't you taken down the "OLD" one?  This from a MODERATOR??????  Interesting

Most threads are created by the people not the administration of the forum. It is not their job to get rid of the old one, the old ones are there for the purpose of keeping the information available for those that want to do research and avoid asking the same questions over and over again.

Threads are never deleted unless they violate the rules of the forum.

Sarvesh was trying to point out that the people having the conversation 2-3 years ago, probably already had their answer and are no longer active in the forum, so directing a question at them may result in silence.

Sorry ReyP, That is NOT how she came across!! Her tone was very  admonishing, (in my opinion). Like a parent talking to a child.  Not  the way that you phrased it. As far as them not taking down the thread, I agree.  But to admonish someone for talking on that thread is socially unacceptable. whether as a Moderator or as an Expert.  Just my thoughts

I understand your point, but there are hundreds of countries that they have to monitor and they are not always going to take the time to explain or be pleasant about it.

I am not here all the time so they jumped in.

:)

There are many home schooling groups on facebook for Puerto Rico