Any Free English Speaking Schools in PR?

I'm very worried about my kids education when we get there, they don't speak english
I suppose to start school on Aug 25.

Unless you are willing to pay for private school, all public schools are in spanish. Kids are resourceful, they will lean the language before we do

Hi Leyito,

I know for a fact that there are public school in PR that WILL work with you if you do not speak spanish. It's just a matter of finding a school to do this. I have family that went to public school in Barceloneta (Embery section) that had a good experience. They really worked with my Puerto Rican born nephews that had moved to the states then back to PR loosing their spanish along the way and had to relearn it again in PR's public school. It was a tough process and one they fought hard against but they were bilingual in literally a year at 10 & 11 years old. We (parents and me their titi) were very involved in this process with the teachers. Whatever you decide I wish you the best with everything.

I would not count on schools being willing to work with you. The economic crisis here is such that schools are closing and consolidating. Many teachers do not speak English. Hopefully your kids are young and you are speaking spanish to them at home? They can't only learn in school.

That said, I have teens and they have learned quickly even in an English speaking school, and would have learned faster were there more immersion at home. Good luck!

Hello again Leyito,

My husband and I are Boricuas with a soon to be schooled child so we also had to do our homework with this, as well. Here are a few schools in northwestern PR if you will be living in or nearby the following towns: Antonio Gonzalez Suarez Bilingual School in Añasco is a public (FREE) elementary school; Maria L Jimenez Lopez Bilingual School in Aguada is another public (FREE) elementary school; Alcides Figueroa Bilingual School (formerly Escuela Regional Bilingue Ramirez Hostos) is a public (FREE) middle and high school in Añasco. It has been my and our family's experience that there are many teachers in PR who are bilingual. As a matter of fact it's been in the news how the states has been trying to recruit them. There are 100 plus public schools closing so I am hoping for you that you find a bilingual public school close enough that can accommodate your children or you'll need to consider private school instead. Hope this is of some help!

http://public-schools.startclass.com/d/ … o/San-Juan

Check out this site
livinginpuertorico.com/best-private-schools/

When we visited last summer we were told all public schools are spanish-speaking with one hour of English taught. Many islanders we encountered spoke little English and admitted they didn't feel fluent enough; much like my spanish. When I researched the private schools, I liked Baldwin and Palmas Academy but you'll have to check depending on location and other factors.

Not available here in the island!!

My kids are homeschooled but there's great private schools in PR.

Dorado- Tasis Dorado Academy
Condado - Robinson and St Johns (clients recommend)

Here's a list of Private Schools in PR
http://livinginpuertorico.com/best-private-schools/

Amkonline19 wrote:

Not available here in the island!!

My kids are homeschooled but there's great private schools in PR.

Dorado- Tasis Dorado Academy
Condado - Robinson and St Johns (clients recommend)

Here's a list of Private Schools in PR
http://livinginpuertorico.com/best-private-schools/

There actually are a few free public bilingual schools in northwestern Puerto Rico. I mentioned them a few posts up from this one. My aunt (my family is from Puerto Rico) said there was also one in or near Ponce but not sure if that particular one is still open with the mass school closings and all. So they do exist on the island. It's just a matter of being lucky enough to live nearby them and there being available slots open for new students to enroll.

Thank you, ravenmickey. I am planning a move to PR with my 6 year old daughter.
I was having a hard time finding information about bilingual elementary schools. This is a great place for me to start.

ravenmickey wrote:

Hello again Leyito,

My husband and I are Boricuas with a soon to be schooled child so we also had to do our homework with this, as well. Here are a few schools in northwestern PR if you will be living in or nearby the following towns: Antonio Gonzalez Suarez Bilingual School in Añasco is a public (FREE) elementary school; Maria L Jimenez Lopez Bilingual School in Aguada is another public (FREE) elementary school; Alcides Figueroa Bilingual School (formerly Escuela Regional Bilingue Ramirez Hostos) is a public (FREE) middle and high school in Añasco. It has been my and our family's experience that there are many teachers in PR who are bilingual. As a matter of fact it's been in the news how the states has been trying to recruit them. There are 100 plus public schools closing so I am hoping for you that you find a bilingual public school close enough that can accommodate your children or you'll need to consider private school instead. Hope this is of some help!

Best of luck. When they say bilingual,  that means they teach English.   If your child spekas Spanish they learn English.  If your child speaks english asbtheir firsr language, you are screwed.   We home school,  due ti this issue.  I will not pay for private schools

Got ya. Thanks for the response. It'll be more beneficial to get my daughter fluent in Spanish before we move anyway.

If anyone needs a school in the Arecibo/Hatillo area we found a great bilingual private school for my 8th grade son. I was going to home school him as I was a teacher years ago. But didn't want him to miss out on the social experience and the opportunity to learn Spanish. He is in the ACE program and is taught in English because he speaks no Spanish. His teacher speaks English and he learns Spanish in and outside of the classroom . The cost is not bad either around $170/mth ($8 a day). No huge enrollement fees . Yes some private schools are expensive and say bilingual and they are not. I called one with a $1200/mth payment which didn't include books and the instruction/lesson was in Spanish ( so not bilingual) obviously that is insane you don't want to know the registration cost was ,so I ended that call quickly as I am not rich. I will keep everyone posted as the school year rolls on.

You lucked out, that is not the norm here. The eptosn inquiring about this is asking about free schools.  Also as of today the governor signed docs about having free Montessori schools here, but that wont be for several years anyways

This sounds great.  I'm hoping to move out this summer and am trying to find a school for my son. Need to have instruction in English at least for the first year.  If you don't mind me asking. What is the name of the school your son is attending ?
Anything is greatly appreciated

Great info LatanyaB, thank you.   Do you have any info on High Schools as far as English, Private vs. Public.

Just looking into the possibility of the family moving to PR in the next few months, although it may not matter if we continue with remote learning.

@LatanyaB, can you email me with the school's name and information? Or reply with the information in this post. My email address is ***.  We are moving to PR soon and my children are rising 9th and 10th graders. I am considering homeschooling, but I don't want them to feel isolated in a new place because they are not able to socialize and make new connections.  Thank you for any advice that you feel comfortable to share!

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, do not post your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi there! May I have the name of the school? Thanks!

Don't do it. Education is horrible here,  there might be a few schools that claim bilingual,  but this means you need ro speak Spanish and they teach English
I have lived here 7 yrs. We pulled our child out of the school after 6 weeks. I worked in Education in the states, so I have an idea of Education.  This island is horrible.  Schools don't have substitute teachers , so expect every week your child to not have school for 1 or 2 days a week.  The playground have no supervision and the schools don't have a nurse, each town will have a traveling nurse.  Also unless you are living in San juan for get about an emergency situation with your child.  We are finally moved from the island in less the 2 months. Unless you are forced to move here,  it's a mistake

Hello. My family moved to PR last month. My partner is spanish but me and my children are not. Anyone can give me info they know about homeschooling in PR. They all seem to be spanish only as well.

https://escuelabilinguepadrerufo.weebly.com/

What was the name of the school your child is enrolled in?

@condreda827

Did you find schooling for your kids? We are looking to spend just one semester in PR with our two sons who will be a sophomore and a junior. They only need Elective credit - no core classes during our stay. We are looking for schools that are open to have visiting students for just one semester. I have tried all of the bigger private schools in San Juan and no one will take them for just one semester. They both speak fairly good Spanish (finished AP Spanish and Spanish 3).fairly.
@sandrarduncan very interesting view.  Total opposite experience. While the Island is not for everyone.  Your opinions seem very personal.  Probably best you moved on. Stateside . .is sounds like it has what you need. Best of luck.
How much research did you do before moving here?
To move here for a couple months. Doesn't seem sensible?
Wasted Cost to relocate.  Without knowing what it was like?