Spanish language classes in Puerto Rico

Has anyone taken a Spanish language course here in Puerto Rico?  I am looking for a college course, or something similar.  I want something 'in person' and not online.

They do not seem to exist here... I have many clients who would like to take them. Seems to be only some expensive private language schools or private classes. Why not consider taking a cooking class or dance lessons?  You will learn Spanish and another skill as well and have some fun.

ISLA language. They offer group classes or private lessons. In hato rey

University of PR, Rio Piedras had classes in their extension program on Saturdays years ago. Not sure if they still do. Maybe other UPR campuses have classes as well.

We are also looking to take a course on conversational Spanish.   Any info is appreciated.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Proposing services not allowed on the forum! You may register your services in the business directory freely as well as drop adverts only in Classifieds section, found under HANDY TOOLS.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Where are you?

Sitka, I have seen several posts about Spanish lessons in Rincon.  Look back in the posts and it will have info.

I checked and UPR Rio Piedras still has Spanish classes in the DECEP program (Extension program). They are taught by University Professors and start at Basic Conversational all the way to Advanced Conversational. The semester already started in January but the classes are every semester. 

Link  to UPR Rio Piedras Spanish Classes, page 13:

http://decep.uprrp.edu/index.php/compon … #233;mica] UPR Continuing Education Catalog May Jan-May 2016[/url]

Since you are at Palms del Mar they also have the Spanish DECEP program at the UPR in Humacao. Here is the link to that campus:

http://www.uprh.edu/decep/idiomas.html

I took these classes in Rio Piedras and they were very good. There are University of Puerto Rico campuses all over the island including Arecibo and Mayaguez. Hope this helps someone out.

Gracias. I will look into this.  Maybe they have some spanish-speaking nuns who can drill me in grammar. I can learn to diagram a sentence en espanol.

i just checked UPR Humacao continuing education.  They have French, English, Italian and Portuguese. No espanol.  So my search continues.  If anyone wants to organize a class at a mutually acceptable location during daytime hours, with a trained Spanish teacher, keep me on your list.
For many years back in the states I was involved with English as a Second Language.  I find it ironic that I cannot find the equivalent service for espanol.

Did you look up isla language school that I mentioned above?

The ISLA website said that there are Saturday Classes at a location near Plaza Las Americas.  Or, they have total immersion sessions geared towards off-islanders. I am still looking for other options closer to home. I like the idea of a college-type course with measurable goals.

Oh ok. Bummer the UPR Humacao website says they have Spanish classes. Maybe there wasn't enough demand.

If anyone is in the Metro Area though I'm pretty sure the UPR Rio Piedras campus always offers Spanish classes...they are listed in the current 2016 semester catalog . When I took them they were always full.

Frogrock a nice local boyfriend will teach you Spanish, but you want a billionaire, not many of those are local.

ReyP wrote:

Frogrock a nice local boyfriend will teach you Spanish, but you want a billionaire, not many of those are local.

For that, I would be willing to travel.  Heck, I would be willing to move.

Muchas gracias para la information.  I checked the UPR Rio Piedras Continuing Education Catalog and they have a course that begins in February.  I am contacting them to sign up.

This is the deal. I am signing up for a UPR Rio Piedras continuing education course that runs  Saturday mornings from February through April.  They do this in conjunction with ISLA.  I will be tested for placement next week and then the classes start. A description of the courses can be found at https:// uprcafe.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/new-conversational-spanish-program.pdf. This is the page from the UPR continuing education catalog. The cost is $265 for 30 hours.

Plug for ISLA - I took a two-week course in Hato Rey to get re-aquainted with my Spanish.  They were great - staff extremely helpful, patient, and there were group trips throughout the course.

Cool Frogrock !!  :top:

People seem to rave about Spanish Immersion Rincon.

Yes, Spanish Immersion Rincon with Annie is terrific. We tried Spanish Immersion at Mama Mel's and it was terrible. We had Annie last year.

victorlglass wrote:

Yes, Spanish Immersion Rincon with Annie is terrific. We tried Spanish Immersion at Mama Mel's and it was terrible. We had Annie last year.

I definitely plan to sign up when I move down there in a year!

I'll have to check out UPR again. I looked all over when we moved here, including there. Seems many times the offerings were canceled for lack of interest. Por fin, aprendaba en la calle. But, of course, there are giant holes in my knowledge, and I could use disciplined remediation.

I meant, aprendía! See what I mean! :)

You should have seen me learning English when in the US. After all these years I still have problem with some words.