Buying house in Puerto Rico

Hello, I would like to look at a few places / houses on the East Coast of the Island.  No kids, just husband and wife, looking for house.

Thank you

Tons of houses for sale: https://www.zillow.com/pr/

Also read this thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=678431

I asume you will be renting. Are you familiar wit clasificados?

ReyP wrote:

I asume you will be renting. Are you familiar wit clasificados?

http://clasificadospr.com/

Rey, what would be the one thing I should know ( don't do that) about purchasing a home in Puerto Rico?

Hi Eda,
The thing to do is to become familiar with the island and the way you like to live. The island has 78 towns each has its own unique flavor or twist. Think also on the type of housing you want and if you need it by the beach, in a city a suburb or the foothill or right on the mountains.

Get that out of the way first then you will be able to hone in on a particular town or two or community.

The more you visit and explore the more likely you will be comfortable making a choice.

You have told us very little about your likes or dislikes so all I can give you is general information. As we hear more information we can hone it and advise on your particular needs. We know you are a couple with no kids, from California and that you like the East Coast. I like the East coast too and my property is in the town of Ceiba.

This was in Sept. of this year...Puerto Rico was a great experience...people are friendly, always say " Buenos, Buenos Díaz, Buen Provecho, the road side food Kiosks stands will satisfy your tummy with, arroz con gandules, Perne, relleno de Papa,  bacalaito, Yuca, etc, etc...( I think you get it) of course the beer; Medalla
...  beautiful beaches...our travel from  Fajardo, El Yunque,  Cayey, old San Juan, Arecibo, Aguadilla,  San Sebastian, Rincon,  Mayaguez, Cabo Rojo, Yauco, Ponce, and everything in between. WE WILL BE BACK.

Rey,  We will be flying in tomorrow for 10 days to look around the East coast.  We have so many questions and  we were thinking if you had time to meet and answer a few. We would like to invite you for lunch?  We will be staying in Humacao.   

Curtis and Eda

EDA RAM wrote:

Rey,  We will be flying in tomorrow for 10 days to look around the East coast.  We have so many questions and  we were thinking if you had time to meet and answer a few. We would like to invite you for lunch?  We will be staying in Humacao.   

Curtis and Eda

I have not moved back to Puerto Rico due to some operations my wife has been going thru, so I am still in Massachusetts, but I am available in the open forum and via private message during the day. Had I been there I would have taken you on the offer.

However we have some Expat members (friends of mine) living in the area for several years that maybe have time to meet you.
Frogrock - lives in Palmas Del Mar in Humacao - Private Message her. She and her brother Mike, hang around with SugarBird that lives in Fajardo so contacting Frogrock may get you both or all 3.
BearNVa lives in Fajardo contact him
Johnnyhulk lives in Luquillo
Melendezki (Kim and Hector) they live in Rio Grande and have an Airbnb place

I have meet all of them and they are great people, they are not always active in the forum but send them all a message maybe some will be available.

for private messages click on the envelope icon

Hope you have a great time, let me know how I can help.
Rey

PS. Keep checking the site, some may jump in and take you on your offer.

By the way you have private messages disabled, I tried sending you one. You need it enabled so people can send you contact information. It is not allowed to send contact info in the open forum.

Shoot, we're flying out tomorrow for a week in Michigan and both houses are full.

My advice to you is take your time! Don't rush buying. There are many many adjustments in the transition between the States and the island and how things are done down here, health care, etc. Vacation versus everyday living are two completely different experiences. Some days I have to remember what it was like to vacation here just to tolerate the dysfunction of the government. The property laws are different down here and because of forced heir divisions of property following death, many properties don't have clear title. Don't rush into something, don't buy a pile of headaches. I've been coming here for over 20 years because my husband is from the island.  We moved here 2 years ago...it has taken me about that long to adjust and lower my expectations. There's nothing to complain about with the weather and beaches and food and good hearted people ... but there's a lot to be desired in the efficiency of conducting any kind of transaction on the island. One step forward and two or three back is normal.

We had a long term tenant in our house in 2014 from California.  One year lease turned into a three month and bail it back to the mainland.

We know of several houses that may be available for rent on the East Coast in the Rio Grande area.  Let us know what you are looking for and maybe we can help.

I am in Humacao in Palmas del Mar. Where are you staying?

Hi,
You can email me at *** or text me at ***.  I am in Palmas del Mar.
Carroll (frogrock)

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Im staying with you at Palmer Del Mar. Hope to see my next door neighbor.

How do I enable to receive messages?  New to site. Lol...

EDA RAM wrote:

How do I enable to receive messages?  New to site. Lol...

Your icon at the top right of the web page, click on that and select privacy, there will be a setting in there for private messages, set it to public and save, after that the members will be able to communicate privately with you and give you their contact info.
As you can see FrogRock wants to meet you and JohnnyHulk also told me he wants to meet you. Not sure about others.

The private message system gets activated after a new user made at least 10 (normal, useful) posts on the forums. 4 posts to go - shouldn't be a big deal, right? :)

She still has to allow incoming messages. But posting will enable her to get the envelope and send out private messages.
I think she turned it off not knowing what it was.

Lol...thanks Gary.

Ok Frogrock, and JhonnieHulk you can send private messages to EDA RAM now

EDA RAM wrote:

Lol...thanks Gary.

Are you all set?
Where you able to make arrangements to meet some of the Expats on the east?

Yea. classificados are great start. But maybe find a reliable real estate agent who has better inventory. I now one out of condado. Angie MoK  at Mok Properties.
k