How to make friends in Dublin

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Dublin :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Dublin??

Thanks in advance for your participation

How can I make friends in Bublin on the internet?

Hi

I ll soon be moving in Dublin. Do you know any means to make friends other there (social clubs, internet, church communities...)

Thanks! :)

Hello, my name is Casi. I'm from Almería, Andalucía in Spain, and I'll be in Dublin in the 2nd of August to 8th , and I'll be interested in meeting some people to take a beer, to visit Dublin and other places  and to have fun there.

Hi! I am a an pair.I am a new in dublin .I would like meet people.
See you

Dublin can be like lots of other big cities - it just seems small in the begining!

This group is pretty big and has lots of casual nights out: Meetup

Seems like it's mostly expats but there are some Irish people too so you get the best of both worlds :)

hey there!
my man lives in dublin and i'll be there next month.we can meet up for some drinks ;-)
my mobilenr 0032475807700 and my facebook is sylvie gallez.
see ya there? :-)

Am thinking about spending a month or somewhere in a SMALL town near the water, in a private home or guest house (peferably), I Am on disability, anything but rich, so I can't do the hotel/motel scene and that's why I am seeking a less expensive accomodations. I am only 1/4th Irish but Ireland is the only place abroad that I've wanted to visit at least once before I die - I have promised this to myself.
So, I am asking for some help in finding such a place - or is there one ?!?

BTW - I am a 54 year old female, VERY Quiet, a reader and a walker. I do not drink to excess - social only, really. Am a smoker (I KNOW!!!!!!!!) but will not smoke indoors. I pick up after myself and would be more than happy to help with any or all chores on day 3 till departure. Can produce a lengthy band of names for recommendations. Please email me at york051955 @ yahoo.com if you know of any and all possibilities of your findings. Your aide is greatful and I thank you in advance

BTW - please give rental cost in American as I am HORRIBLE at attempting to convert! Please put Ireland in the subject line of any email.

I also moved to Dublin about 2 weeks ago.
Im Dutch/French speaking. The city is nice, but i wonder if there are lot of Dutch speaking people in here?

Hi everybody,

the Dublin expat network may help :)

exchange languages

hey, I am a German native speaker and looking for some English speaking people  who want to exchange languages: German and English.

Linosaur wrote:

I also moved to Dublin about 2 weeks ago.
Im Dutch/French speaking. The city is nice, but i wonder if there are lot of Dutch speaking people in here?

Hi, I am a Flemish speaking Belgian and have been living in Dublin for almost two years - and I can say no, there are not many Dutch speakers around beside the odd tourist or erasmus student. As a result, people do think of you as quite 'exotic' when you say you speak Dutch :). Enjoy Dublin!

I been moving to dublin in the begining of january. Im from Brazil but living in england for almost 18 years. I really appreciate if there is anyone can help me find accomodaton (cheap) and maybe a job. ]
Thank you so much
eddie
[email protected]

i been moving to dublin at the begining of january. I really appreciate if there is anyone can help me find a accomodation (cheap) and maybe a job. I live almost 18 yares in england long time ago and speak fluente english. Please be free to contact me  at
[email protected]

Hiya, I would like to know if there're any other expat that find it hard to make friends here in Dublin or am I the only one???

It is quite difficult to be honest.  The Irish people are very protective of themselves.  They are fun to have a drink with and a bit of craic, but they don't really want to get to know you.  They are very secretive and suspicious of everyone, including themselves (other Irish).  This may stem from the recent history of hiding everything from the government.  Keeping it all secret.  You can't trust your neighbor for fear they will turn you in or get a leg up on you.  I am from the USA and this is quite difficult for me to deal with.  I've been here for 3+ years and the closest friends that I have are other Americans.  I do have Irish "friends", but they are more just social acquaintances.  It's basically up to you.  You have to approach people and begin conversations, because no-one else is going to do it.  Good Luck!

Does anyone know a good place to meet younger people? I am 18 and going to Dublin for the summer for work alone. I am very nervous that I won't be able to make any friends and will spend the whole summer walking around by myself, hahaha. I have been to Dublin for the past two summers in a row but with friends, and only for a couple weeks at a time. I will be there for about three months this time around, and I'd hate to spend it alone!

I've had someone I met online help me with my travel plans. So I figured I'd return the favour, and help some people that are moving or travelling to Ireland. And hopefully make some friends too. I am 23 years old, I live in Dublin, and have lived here my whole life.

Hello all,
I am looking for friends to share some activities like cinema, jogging, nights out...anyone interested, give me a shout

(moderated: you are not on a dating website)

New here look for friends...

Hi Terrencesean,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you get lots of new contacts on the site.

Hello everyone,

As you can see in my profile, I'm from Madrid.
I'm going to travel alone to Dublin next month of November for just four days. I'm looking a place to live and study English and everybody here in Spain have a very good opinion of the Irish people. If my next travel is nice I'll move to Dublin at least for four months.
I would like to find a room and share a flat with more people...  and of course I'll be delighted to find friend to have some drinks and find out the country.

Thanks you,
Jaime.

Hello Jaime, concerning the accommodation, I invite you to post an advert in Dublin classifieds > flat share section.

Thanks,
Harmonie.:)

iam simptsop how you to day

Hi, when will you move to Dublin?

Best,
Bojan.