Doha Metro

Are there any expat Brits on here working on the Doha Metro for Mitsubishi Heavy Industries?

What are their T&C's like? Hours required, etc.

With an offer of 23k QAR a month, and with the high cost of living and accommodation, is it possible to make it pay?

Thank you for any advice,

Chris.

A great salary. Accommodation should be around 7k for expat family, 2k for entertainment, 2k for transport and 3k for general living. So yes, it will pay off.

...thank you kindly for your comments!

I'll be coming as "single status" so that might reduce accommodation costs a little but until I know where the site is transports a bit of an unknown!

Well, I won't be in Doha myself till August for work. Living somewhere is different as opposed to visiting for holidays. It does seem that a car is necessary and a social life is just as important.

I assume you may be working in more than one site. If you need a car then PM me and I might be able to direct you. (I don't take commission).

...that's excellent! The contract is initially for two years so my aim is to get sorted asap. First challenge will be accommodation. There are some fantastic places right on the marina but, when all said and done, I'm a migrant worker and not a tourist. Clean and functional without a view would suit me. Thank you again for your advice. It is much appreciated.

Stokie,

It depends on where your office will be located. If within Lusail, check Fox Hills as I've seen nice newly-built apartments there for less than 5K with balcony. If within Doha, you can find lots of Western expats seeking for housemates in their nice hotel apartment, a room would cost 4,000 - 5,000 per month. Alternatively, you can get a nice 1-bedroom flat for around 6,000. Or, check Qatar Living and see a studio apartment for 2,000 - 3,000 mostly are located in Al Thumama area, normally within a big villa and you have neighboring units which you won't probably meet.

....I thank you very much for this information! Initially, if my job application is successful, the Company will place me in a hotel for a short period. It'll be up to me to use that time wisely to find alternate accommodation. Very Best Wishes, Stokie.