Home Security systems

We have just purchased a fully furnished house in a neighborhood in Ensenada Guanica.  The neighborhood is ok,  a couple of dumpy places, but no one has concertina wire or any extreme security measures.  The property is fenced, but anyone who really wants in would not have a problem.

Crime overall is low in the southwest, however, I worry that as newcomers (and gringos) we might be targets. Also, we will only be there 3 to 6 months in winter. We have a local caretaker who will come weekly.
Should we also add a security system?  Is there anything else we might do to keep the property safe?

Thanks for any insights you might have into this.

Ann

There are security systems that will alert you or you can put cameras in the place. All of those will only inform you after the deed is done.
It is best not to show you got money, no large tv visible from outside, no Ferraro in the driveway. 

Likely if you are targeted it will not be somebody in the neighborhood, it will just be your turn.
Many more are in front of you relax maybe put some cameras, little else you can do when you are not there. Put some lights on a timer to make it look live in.

Why not heavy security?
Because you are outside of PR, if somebody breaks in you may be informed and then you need to call the police, and they may show a few hours later. If you are going to use security, you need them to come the moment the alarm is tripped, if they are going to show up a half hour later, the place will be stripped before they get there. Either-way, the damaged window or door used to enter the premise needs to be repaired fast otherwise there is nothing preventing them or others to comeback and this time they don't need to trip an alarm.

So best is not cause anyone to want to target you. In the event of a breaking you will need the maintenance guy or somebody else to make a repair.

However it is not very likely that your place will be specially targeted.

We have cameras installed inside and outside of our property. I monitor them remotely. The inside cameras have motion detectors so if anyone enters the house we will be notified. As a note, you must have sigs on your property to tell anyone that there are cameras in your property in order to be able to use the recording in court. It is a deterrent, most vandals do not like to target houses that have cameras. You can have a local company set up a security system and monitoring for about $45/month.
We don't have any valuables outside, all our doors and windows are security grade. We have a local guy that take care of the property. Keeping the yard clean will show that the property is not abandoned, minimizing break ins. Get to know your neighbors and befriend them. They will be your best watch dogs.
Our house is in Sabana Grande, we will be back in the island next month. Let us know when you back and we can meet.

We stayed at a few airbnb places in Guanica and they didn't have security at all. We never felt unsafe.  I think you will be fine, as well.

I have a system installed by Alpha one. Think they are the largest on the island.

Thanks, Rey.  We definitely don't fit the rich tourist profile, lol!  In fact, I was thinking we should look for car with a lot of dents and dings :)

The southwest seems to be much quieter than the northeast, but I've seen nicer, unoccupied houses in Guanica with alarm systems.

Thanks, Adlin?  Do you have any thoughts on the best security companies in the area?  We will be back in about a month to close.  At that point, we will have 10 days or so to get everything in order.  How do you like Sabana Grande?

What part of the island are you on?  Do they monitor in real time?

Annabfalter,

I don't use a monitoring company for my system, I did my own installation and set up remote monitoring.  I heard AlphaOne is pretty good. We love Sabana Grande, the area is very quiet and safe. We live off the main road, on route 126 that goes from sabana grande to Yauco. Never had any issues with crimes around our place.

With my set up, we have several cameras that can be viewed via internet as well as recorded on media.
Still, nothing beats beats boots on the ground.

Agreed, I am all pro security systems and cameras, however being home to deal with it is more my cup of tea as long as I have a nice weapon to greed them with. :o .
Why?
1) Cameras can be foiled by a mask, if they know you have cameras they will wear a mask and cover any tattoos and other identifiable marks.
2) License plate of the bad guy car could be capture in camera, but most smart guys steal or carjack a car before they go do their deed and they can switch plates also.
3) They can cut electricity and Internet before they do their break in, so that leaves batteries and a T-mobile device to get to the internet if your other Internet service is down.
4) If not recording to the Internet, they can remove the data and you got nothing to show the police. Some are stupid but not all.
5) Police is slow to react, most times the guys are in and out. As a matter of facts some bad guys have rob the police stations from time to time including vehicles and motorcycles.

Being away and receiving a notice that somebody is around your house or that they broke in still requires you to inform the police and for them to react in time to catch the crooks.

However these measures can serve a purpose, just don't count on them too much, that is all I am saying. A well hidden camera like inside of what looks like a book or in a pile of something that just look like clutter, may get you the pictures you can use.

Rey,
You are giving too much credit to the criminals. Most are opportunistic, if they see signs and cameras in your property, they will most likely look for an easier target. Not to say it doesn't happens.
Gun laws are very strict in the island , it is not easy to obtain a gun permit and expensive. Not only that, but if you defend yourself, be prepare to a justice system that favors the criminals. Don't get me wrong, I am a truly believer in "rather judge by 12 than carried by 8" philosophy.

While most crime is opportunistic, not all is. I am just saying, these measures are not 100%.
Many a crime occurring using masks.

Rey,
You are correct, my point is of prevention and detergent. The less you make yourself and your property an easy target, the less chances you have to become a victim. Having an alarm system will not prevent it 100%, but it will make the criminal think twice.

Yes, it's a deterrent- hopefully the burglar will look for an easier target and skip your place.

The cameras and signage let them know it's wired and they could be on film.  The alarm should call the cops ( will they come?) 

We have a friend that stays in the house as a caretaker when we are away. That is my main security blanket. 

That being said - s**t happens.   Keep your doors locked

Sitka wrote:

Yes, it's a deterrent- hopefully the burglar will look for an easier target and skip your place.

The cameras and signage let them know it's wired and they could be on film.  The alarm should call the cops ( will they come?) 

We have a friend that stays in the house as a caretaker when we are away. That is my main security blanket. 

That being said - s**t happens.   Keep your doors locked

That's why I installed security doors and windows. It will be very hard to get inside the house without a key.  Base on the installation process, you will have to be able to rip 10" screws from the concrete and a 6" metal plate on the doors. Hopefully this will make enough noise for the neighbors to alert the police, not counting the video feed.

@annabfalter We live up at Base Ramey in Aguadilla.  I lived here in HS and love it. Crime is always concern anywhere but my street hasn't had a problem in years. For me, good locks and gates and a big Rhodesian Ridgeback take care of security.
The was a NYT article about how people have discovered the west coast of PR. Where else can you get a house that is a ten minute walk to the beach for less than $200k. Locals in Rincon have described how a buyer will come to them with an offer over asking price and as is. One local reported buying a $200k condo in 2019 and last year sold it for more than $400k. Finding a house on Ramey is extremely difficult. There is concern of locals being priced out of the housing market. Frequently we have people asking if we are selling our house or know any for sale. As if... I walk ten minutes and I'm looking down at my HS surf spot. Hmmm, think I walk over in a bit...