Moving back to Austria after 30 years abroad

Good day to everybody,
I am a native Austrian and moved abroad 1986.
Studied in Paris, Rome & Munich, worked in Vienna for 2 years and then moved to Tokyo, where we lived for several years. In 2005 we moved to Singapore, where we are still living at this point.
We are Permanent Residents to Singapore, but have to move back to Austria this summer.
We have always lived as Expats and consider Austria as a new posting, next chapter in our life.

My husband and me are now both looking for a job in Salzburg.
Well I am, since our two daughters will have to attend school in September. My husband is still considering to stay in Asia at this point. Not having lived in Austria for almost 30 years doesn't make things easier, since all our contacts and friends live in this part of the world.

We have two children, who will attend school in Austria from September and would also like to find out, whether there are any expats in the Salzburg area with small children (7&9). Our girls are very active and love sport (tennis, expressive dance, art, etc.) Any networking groups, English, French, Italian speaking ladies, families.

A bit overwhelmed with the whole situation, worried about moving back to a small city, I'm reaching out to all different platforms. Any advise from people, who have experienced a similar situation.

In case you organise any events in Salzburg, let me know.
I'll there from March 27th-April 10th and planning our move back for this summer.

Thank you in advance for any advise, information.

best regards,
MC

Hey mckossich

Welcome to Expat.com :)

You are free to create an event here.

Sadly we are down by Vienna, so too far to meet up.

Thank you for your answer.
Guess I might have to create an event in Salzburg when I'm there.
Really keen in meeting some expats, foreigners in AT.
Take care!

We have been to Salzburg once in 8 years, so it's long overdue for another visit, ;) In fact still need to do a lot more traveling around Austria.

Really, you should visit Salzburg.
It's beautiful.
Let me know, when you are in town and we'll meet up for a coffee.

I'll be back in AT from July onwards and hope, that this forum can help.

We have a similar platform here in Singapore called RSEW and it's incredible how active people are on there.

Seems like not too many expats in Salzburg seem to use this platform. Sadly!

Keep in touch.

best regards,
MC

Dear MC,

I am originally from Vienna where I grew up and went to university but then lived abroad for almost 20 years, the last 8 years in Hong Kong. In September 2015 I moved to Klosterneuburg just outside of Vienna with 4 kids and my husband, he is Canadian and did not speak any German!

So my situation was a bit similar like yours and while I cannot help you with any contacts in Salzburg I want to try give you a little moral support for your new life because it will be a huge change and not easy!
Your children are the same age as my two younger ones were when we moved and they dealt with the change much easier than my two older ones who were 11 and 13 at the time, so fingers crossed, your biggest worry (will the kids be happy, find friends, like the new teachers, etc) will not be too bad!

I found it much harder for myself, especially during the first year. Moving from a huge city like HK or Singapore back to provincial Austria is a challenge, some people were very nice, others typically grumpy, the level of bureaucracy is mind-blowing, I still haven't found a good yoga studio or gym I like but that comes with the much smaller offer in a much smaller city! I miss the level of service, the friendly people, how well organised things were in HK. But then you cannot really tell people what you miss, because they do not understand, they have never lived abroad, they all say 'oh you must be so happy to be back in Austria' and you think 'no, actually I am not'! I also miss my friends, people were way more sociable in HK, the school was better organised, it was very easy to meet people! And then the weather! I really struggled through the first winter, when it is cold and rainy outside you just don't feel like going out and seeing people, I just wanted to have dinner at home and go to bed! I had no energy all winter to call all friends or so, I just wanted to hibernate and wake up again when the sun came out in April!

But then, there is the good stuff: weekend trips that do not require to get on a plane, we did a lot of weekends on farms in different parts of Austria so that my husband and kids see the country, that's really fun, helping milking the cows etc, going for hikes in the mountains, skiing. Also my children do much more normal stuff here, like riding their bikes to afternoon sports, my daughters are both into horseback-riding, much easier to be organised here than in HK, my sons play ice hockey, and after they have seen a lot of Asia we now take them to city breaks in Europe, again super easy, sometimes we fly, sometimes we take an overnight train which the children love. Food is so much cheaper here, especially organics, Spargel season has just started, all so fresh and nice!
So one has to try and see the positive stuff, my husband was a huge support for me though, he is so positive and was super helpful. What also saved my life in the early days was to get away for a weekend with a girlfriend 6 weeks after we had arrived when I was totally exhausted from unpacking boxes, dealing with authorities, translating endless paperwork for my husband, making sure the kids were happy, trips to ikea etc.
So not knowing you I still wish you all the best, knowing how hard it is to  move back after such a long time, much harder then moving somewhere new! Good luck! There will always be light at the end of the tunnel!
All the best,
Betty

Dear Betty!
What a lovely message to wake up to.
Nice e-meeting you.

It is really interesting to read, what you just wrote. I exactly feel the same way.
Have to admit, that I am very worried about our move back here and somehow in shock!

The last 10 days in Salzburg have been very busy. I managed to organise a lot of things.
Have to admit, that my biggest concern was the school, but I managed to enrol both girls at a lovely local primary school, not too far from our house. We visited the school last week. The Head of school and class teachers were very welcoming. Turns out, that they are expecting several expat kids, who are all coming back to Salzburg this summer. One child is even coming back from Singapore this summer, another child from Canada and from Ireland.

Lots has changed since I went to Primary school. Gladly this school offers afternoon program and the girls can stay at school all day until 5PM. As you know school fees are horribly expensive at International Schools and I have blown away by the fact, that we will only have to pay Euro 140 per child per month for the daily afternoon schooling. They also offer a lot of sports and outdoor programs.

Administration hasn't been too bad yet. Went to several Government agencies and offices and they were very helpful. Gladly some of the service providers have also changed and lots of things can be checked and paid online, like electricity, internet etc. This was not possible a couple of years ago.

Housing seems to be real problem in Salzburg and most of the places we went to first enquired on whether we had a place to stay. We are happy to have a beautiful apartment, which is located in a beautiful part of Salzburg, but it will still be a big change for us. We are moving from the typical 6000m2 house with garden to a 1000m2 roof top apartment. I have been looking at storage facilities, where I can store furniture, which we will bring back to Asia. You might have also experienced the same problem. We are trying to get rid of a lot of stuff, but I can't let go of some items, which we have purchased over the years in Asia. Of course these large pieces of furniture won't fit into our humble home here in Salzburg.

Kids enjoy being here and are looking very much forward to moving. They actually wouldn't mind staying here now. They love riding their bikes, the nature and the fact, that some of their friends have moved back to Europe over the last two years. I promised them, that we would visit them in Germany, France and Italy.
Somehow, I have the feeling, that they will adjust must faster than me.

I don't even want to get started on missing my friends and the beautiful tropical climate, weekends on Bali, Phuket and other wonderful countries in South East Asia.
I have always hated this cold, wet and dry climate. Going through tons of hand cream. Not mentioning my lips. Just looking at the weather today (first  wet day in 10 days), I just want to go back to bed, put the duvet over my head and stay in bed all day.

And all the clothes...for the kids.
In Singapore they wear the school uniform during the week, followed by swim suits and shorts and t-shirts on the weekend. Shoes....???? OMG, don't get me started.

Well, well, well...
There's no way around it and I have to face this big move in summer.

Thank you once again for your kind words.
Let's keep in touch and maybe we'll have the chance to meet one day.

God Bless you!

Best regards,
Marie-Christine