Suggestions for Vieques

I have not been to Vieques since 2003.

A friend is coming to PR to visit and we wan to take the Ferry there on April 10th and stay for one night.

Anybody with suggestions on where to stay that is not too pricey yet not a dump?  Also what to do there?

Thanks for any help...
Lynn

Check in clasificadosonline some nice B&B post in there. Also try in FB I believe there is a group for vieques.

Several AirBNB places there also and there is a hotel but don't know the name.

With kids: Playa Media Luna is perfect, safe, shallow, weak current, great sand, and incredibly beautiful.

Without kids: Blue Beach: Amazing nature, almost always deserted, beautiful, quick drop-off in depth and some waves but nothing rough usually. You feel like you at the end of the Caribbean when you're there - tremendous. But, you should have a car that can take a bit of mud on the drive in to the beach.

Good suggestions... No kids... just a couple of adults looking for fun, and beauty of Vieques... Also, good restaurants.

You should take a bio bay tour, but you have to check the lunar calendar first. El Blok is a trendy adults only hotel that is very nice and unique. The majority of hotels on Vieques are adults only and most of them are nice. I have stayed at The W Retreat and Spa because we needed a place that was kid friendly. That resort is gorgeous but it can be very pricey. I have also stayed in a AirBNB there that was beautiful. Look at tripadvisor and search AirBNB and Homeaway.
If you can I would suggest staying for more than one day. The beaches in the National Wildlife Refuge are stunning. I also highly suggest renting a car and reserving  the rental before you get there. There are AirBNB rentals that also offer a car for an extra fee. The fort on Vieques is pretty neat too. Isabel 2 and Esperanza are both towns in Vieques with places to eat. Esperanza has a row of cute restaurants that face the beach.

You may want to check how much will it be to bring your car in the ferry versus rental. Also, I heard there are golf cart rentals as well.

Thanks for the info... will do :)

I think it is around 15 each way but I could be wrong. Also only some of the feries carry vehicles so need to check which.

If the ferry service hasn't been drastically improved, then don't try bringing your car. It's a nightmare. Residents have priority for spots on the car ferry, and often one or two residents will put 10 cars onboard for their friends and neighbors, meaning you will be bumped every time even though the resident didn't accompany the vehicle.

I once was stranded on Vieques at the port for 12 hours (until the 4am ferry) because the spots for my vehicle kept getting taken by cars that supposedly belonged to residents, although it was the same lady who loaded them on all afternoon and evening.

The purely passenger ferry is easier but still difficult. You have to queue at the port in Fajardo early in the morning in order to make sure you get a ticket, then there is a great surge of people to get in the ferry, with no real queue, just a mass of line-cutters, and the ferry reaches capacity before all the ticket holders have boarded.

It's much better to fly.

Just my experience...we went back in November to Vieques and brought our minivan. The key was we bought our tickets a few days in advance so there was no problem.  There is an office for advance tickets across the street from the ferry entrance.
Also, I think you need a vehicle for Vieques...I did not see people driving golf carts on Vieques... that I believe is Culebra:)

love tips!  Thank you... still not sure what we are going to do yet.  Planning on going Monday, April 10 and staying one night and returning next day...  I am looking into the AirnB place but have no clue as to what area is best for walking to things, etc.... keep the help coming :)

I would recommend renting a car on Vieques, as most of the places that people like to visit (such as beaches, etc.) are best accessed by car.

The town of Esperanza on the south side of the island is the best to walk around. There are also many small hotels & house rentals in Esperanza. It is the 'tourist/gringo' town, although the majority of residents are still Viequenses. Most house rentals probably do not permit a one night rental. In Esperanza there many restaurants are a few 'colmados' (small grocery/convenience stores). The main grocery stores, and, in fact, stores of any kind are in the main town, Isabel II.

If you're more interested in going some place where you can just relax & stay on site, I highly recommend the 'Inn on the Blue Horizon.' It is Puerto Rican owned (from the main island), has a terrific restaurant on site, has beautiful grounds & rooms, and great views.

This is the Airbnb we stayed in for the weekend last year. Walking distance to Esperanza. Definitely rent a car, and depending on the beaches, they will always suggest a 4X4. Flying out of Ceiba is about $30 each way.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4467011

Esperanza is a great town. There are a few little guest houses there. My favorite is flamboyan guest house. There is also a great place called casa lalanchita in isabela segunda that has an amazing view and pool

Hello,

Thanks for the information.  I checked the place out and it looks great.  I am going with a girl "friend" and looking for a place that has 2 beds maybe two bedrooms.  Also, walking distance to most things and ideas where to go.

A/C to drown out the night noise good too!

Great tip on the ferry!!  I believe we will just get some kind of rental when there?  Golf car or jeep recommended?

Definitely a Jeep. Island is too big for a golf cart. Have fun!