Tourist Roundup on the North Coast??? Is it safe to vacation?

Greetings all, it has been a while.  I have been hanging out down on the Eastern part of the Island these days, but I could not help hearing rumors of Tourist being rounded up by immigration last Thur on the North Coast, I figured it was just rumors until I saw it in the Diario Libre.  Here is the link for those who are interested in reading it and those who might try to tell me that I'm submitting a non credible source of news http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/mig … -GK6158383
      My Question is the following. Are the overstay fees no longer in effect? Are Tourist limited to just 30 days? And if you stay beyond the 30 days do you risk being caught up in one of these operations? I'm just asking for clarification since the Dominican Republic has a history of changing rules and regulations and simply say surprise! When you try to leave the country.  Any honest confirmation and clarification would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Hi again, we covered this in the other thread:

Overstay fines apply at the point of departure.

IF you are off resort or out of your hotel or apartment carry a copy of your passport main page and page showing entry stamp. Its that simple.

Nothing has changed expect a new guy  doing a job deciding to put his "stamp" on things.  There are no new rules in effect as of right now.  IF that changes we will update everyone, I promise.

Thanks Planner....Will share with concerned friends.

Awesome!  And I do promise to keep people updated. This is a huge concern for many of my friends too!

This might not have anything to do with the recent events, but Dominicans with U.S. residency are being asked to renounce their residency and go back home by signing a specific form.....Here is the report and please know what you are signing before you sign.

http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/en-aeropue … esidencia/

Prominent Dominican immigration lawyer Yadira Morel has also been warning Dominicans not to sign the form......I get the feeling with all that is going on with the new Prez and immigration; Americans will soon not be welcomed anywhere.

Guido Perdomo Attorney posted this on his FB page regarding the situation.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? … =606691745

Tourist Cards

Whenever we come to DR we purchase in advance from the consulate these cards.  It actually says on their web sites no Tourist Visa required if you are a  national from the following countries...................... only a Tourist Card and of course a passport.

It does not state how long a tourist card is valid for and every time we have stayed over 30 days we've just paid the overstay fine.

Regards

Ducketts

I pretty much do the same Duckets, but there are conflicting reports on some of the other forums saying that if you stay past the 30 days, you will have to get an extension on your original 30 day Tourist card. This sounds like the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. Word has it the raids are still taking place, so to be safe, just have some ID on you.

Thanks for that.

I have looked at several government web sites and there are no mention of time limits of a Tourist Card.  It does state however that depending on your nationality, you do not need a Tourist Visa.  Thanks

Regards

Ducketts

Tourist card is 30 days. Extensions can be done in Santiago and Santo Domingo currently.

There is currently NO issue with overstaying and paying at the airport.

If you stay over 30 days your license is NO longer valid for driving here without the extension.

Here is a English link from a government website specifying the 30 day limit of tourist cards.

http://www.dgii.gov.do/tarjetaTuristica … fault.aspx

Hi Planner

I confess I am confused.  On the DR government websites both in France and the UK it does not state only 30 days for Tourist Card, there are no time restrictions.  It does however state that a Tourist Visa is required for 3 months or more which therefore suggests that a Tourist Card is valid up to 3 months or I am misunderstanding this.  Thanks

Wecome to the third world.....arbitrary...ever changing...prone to shakedowns, etc. Thats just the short list.

I have oftentimes found consular websites with information that is not up-to-date. Yesterday, I saw the Dominican embassy's website in Qatar and it indicated that it's last update was in 2008. In contrast the UAE Dominican embassy's website had current info.

You will find up-to-date information regarding tourist cards and other related questions in the following links:

http://www.godominicanrepublic.com/abou … uirements/http://www.dgii.gov.do/tarjetaTuristica … fault.aspx

I've just been onto the DR consulate in Marseille.  They say exactly like Planner.  After 30 days you pay an overstay fine or get a tourist Visa.  However driving a car is ok even after 30 days providing you have a valid driving licence.

Ducketts

Lets ask the lawyer to confirm in regards to the Drivers license. I was told  30 days of tourist visa = 30 days of license.   Lets see if we can find out whats actually valid.

Here is some info from the Ministry of Tourism regarding driving with a foreign driver's license.

IS MY DRIVER'S LICENSE VALID IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC?
Yes it is valid, but only for the duration of your legal stay, i.e. your tourist card or visa term.

http://www.godominicanrepublic.com//abo … -republic/

Great, thanks so much.  Just rang London DR consulate and they said the same thing regarding driving licence i.e you can drive at anytime.  I've asked them to email me.  Thanks

Ducketts

It's unfortunate that the normal practices don't always reflect what the law states.

For example someone can purchase a car even though they are not a legal residents, but the insurance carrier will not cover any expenses relating to an accident because one is not a legal resident.

Car rental business usually rent to anyone irregardless of their legal status in the country but often time require the client to purchase additional insurance.

Thanks. This is great info and clarifies the law.

You are right it does not clarify common practice at all! It is all over the place!

If rental car agencies only rented to those legally able to drive they would go out of business!

Insurance companies will take your money then look for ways to deny paying out!

At the volunteer-run The Meeting Place (Puerto Plata's International Center) we have made inquiries and are having representatives of the tourism ministry and of the immigration dept at a Q&A session on Friday Feb 10 in Puerto Plata (see events section in the community section of epat.com). We will have a summation on our website after the meeting. But at this point it seems fairly clear that for the ordinary tourist who is here for anything between one month to six months nothing has changed --- the overstay-pay-at-airport procedure is still in place. We have received such understanding from the consular sections of both the US and Canadian embassies.

The embassies dont enforce, but the locals.......arbitrarily, just as we have seen.

Great, I am hoping to be at that meeting!

Does anyone have an update on what took place at the meeting? Very curious to know! And as far as anyone knows have the roundups of tourists continued?

no more "roundups" as you put it.  Things are pretty much back to  normal. However do carry at least a copy of your passport with you just to be safe.  And actually this is true no matter where you travel you should keep your passport with you

Bob K

True Bob!!!!

Hi, my name is Beth and I am new to this site. Thanks for all the info on the tourist card. I am moving to Sosua in June and would like to get residency asap to avoid any future changes with the 30 day tourist card other than fines at the airport! Was wondering if Bob could help with a 2 month rental while my cousin and I look for a property to buy. Thanks! Beth

We've rented cars from every company running out of the airports. Driving in DR is not recommended unless you have experience in other Latin American countries or Africa or Asia... Basically, anywhere where traffic's laws are 'suggestions'  We like interrent for car rentals...The price you get quoted is the price you pay...Double the quoted price for all other rental companies for mandatory 'gringo' insurance. There are private local rental companies but we haven't gone that route, because I've heard you should use local to negotiate and I have no idea what would happen it something happened to the car, accident or just a breakdown...Do we have to buy them a new car? Our Spanish is not good enough...Yet. There is the Facebook site Everything Cabarete where people sell used cars, maybe you can try to rent from them, but depending on where you live you may not need a car the whole time...Others here can give you more specific advice.

Brodies - I love your posts. Please.open your own thread to post your thoughts and experiences. That way we keep them in one place! Thanks!

Beth send me a PM with specifically you are looking for.
I just got back home to the DR this afternoon

Bob K