Things to do around Sosua, Cabarete and Puerto Plata?

Greetings Friends!

We have some relatives coming to visit from England, just looking for ideas of places to go and show them around.  Also if anyone can recommend some good restaurants  that would be great.  Also a good tour company  should we decide to do the outback!    Thanks very much.    Diana

OK for tour company I would use Mel's tours in Sosua and Freddy's in Cabarete (next to Iguana Mama's).

Tours to do:
Monkey Jungle
Outback safari
Puerto Plata tour with the fort, cable car, amber museum, independence square, rum factory

Restaurants:
Sosua:
Orchidee, Baileys, Britannia Pub, el choco restaurant, mid town, la Costera .  For nicer dining casa valaria, Mio's, Tuscany, viente uno,

Cabarete our favorites are Bliss ($$$), Bisherhof,  Ali's surf camp, casita Papi's, los gringos, lazy dog.

There are lots more restaurants around.

Bob K

Thanks Bob   That should keep us busy!  Merry Christmas to you!
Cheers
Diana

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.  I am sure they will have a great time.

Bob K

Maybe I am a bit late, your guests may have come and gone, but I am available with my older van to drive people around.  I recommend the 27 waterfalls. If one is young enuff to be comfortable climbing up waterfalls. If not there is the teleferico which is the cable car which goes up to the top of our mountain here in Puerto Plata.  Fifty bucks a day including me as driver plus diesel fuel which is as low as it has been in 20 years I am told.  Or a day trip to Santiago to visit the Monument to the restoration.  Most anything.

Hi DingoElGringo, I am arriving in Sosua in a week and staying for several.  I was wondering if I do plan to go on a day trip, how do I contact you?   Thanks.

One other thing I would like to find out about is doing some volunteer work a few hours a week either in a school or maybe in tourism or touristy store etc.  I will be staying in Sosua for almost 11 weeks.  If someone could give me some tips on how to go about to do this.

If you are going to be here for 11 weeks check with Monkey Jungle about volunteering in there Dental/medical clinic on Saturdays

Bob K

Thanks Bob.  What about volunteering in school i.e. teach an hour of French or English a couple of times a week for example.  I would really like to do some volunteer work with kids.

When you get to Sosua ask any gringo where to find Lindsey Kaufman. She has a constant need for volunteers in her programs Strength for the Journey.  A very nice mature lady and a very worthy program. If you have trouble finding her write to me here and I will get you her phone number.
Dingo El Gringo

I agree with Lindsey.  We work with her all the time.

Bob K

Thank you both of you.  Dingo, can I get your contact # and also Lindsey as I don't know if I am bringing my laptop with me.  Also, can you tell me about the program "Strength for the Journey".  What is it etc.   Thanks so much.

Please share personal contact info via private message, not on an open forum. Thanks.

Here is the facebook page for Strength for the Journey
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strength … 5168904812

Also sent you a PM

Bob K

Thanks Bob but I am not on Facebook.  I did google it and it seems great.  I will look into it when I am there.  Thanks so much.

As far as sight seeing in Puerto Plata area about a five or six hour tour includes the fort that was built in the fifteen hundreds and the Brugal rum factory and the cable car up to the top of the local mountain and lunch at one of Maimon's seafood restaurants

How does one do a PM here?

Let me know if you have any problems getting ahold of them

Bob K

Hi DingoElGringo,

How do I contact you if I want to hire you for the day to do some sight seeing.  Note that I am not on facebook.   Thanks.

The best bar in Sousa, at least three years ago, is "Rancho Tipico", same road as the hooker strip, about half a km out.  A grand was 100, and you could Danny e with the waitresses.

Dingo - click on the person who you want to message,   their profile will pop up  and you can then click on Message to reach them.  They only have Private Messaging  after some time and a quantity of posts.

planner wrote:

Please share personal contact info via private message, not on an open forum. Thanks.

Please help me to figure out how to do a Private message here on this site. Thanks
Dingo El Gringo

I did above ..... click on the person's name you want to.message. their profile page will come up. Click on message and then write that person a message.