Massage + Italian Store

Hello all,

I've been in Quito a month now and missing a few things from home, anyone think they can help me out?

1. I'm looking for a good place to get a massage, preferably near Plaza Las Americas because I live around that area. Not a place that will cost me a fortune either.

2. Espresso has been hard to find, anyone know where I can find good quality espresso for home? or an Italian foods store/foodstore that carries Italian products?

Thanks!

Luca

LucaGiuseppe wrote:

Hello all,

I've been in Quito a month now and missing a few things from home, anyone think they can help me out?

2. Espresso has been hard to find, anyone know where I can find good quality espresso for home? or an Italian foods store/foodstore that carries Italian products?

Thanks!

Luca

http://www.cafegalletti.com/

Galletti coffee is good (relatively), I'm drinking the mountain brew but they also have espresso. The owner is Italian-American and his brand supposedly uses European methods. So maybe it's worth a try.

There's three branches in Quito, the info is on their website. Some supermarkets also stock his brand but often in limited variety.

As for massage, most of the places I know are in Mariscal sector, not in your neighborhood.

There are half a dozen peluquerias or hair salons .. within a couple of blocks of the intersection of Wilson and Amazonas, at least half of them right on Amazonas.  Typically, a sign in the window lists services including 'masaje' .. and the bodywork is done in small 'cuartitos' in the back.

For years, the going price was 20 dollars for a full hour.  Prices seem to be creeping up lately.

Try a massage with Gatubelita at Dodied hair salon on Wilson between Amazonas and Mera.

cccmedia

Thanks for the reply, I'll have to check it out. I wanted to avoid La Mariscal for other types of massages offered, and since all the advertising seems to look more or less them same, I didn't want to end up in a awkward situation.

LucaGiuseppe wrote:

I wanted to avoid La Mariscal for other types of massages offered, and since all the advertising seems to look more or less them same, I didn't want to end up in a awkward situation.

If you avoid the Dominican places in the area I described, you should be fine everywhere else.  You should probably just walk the area along Amazonas looking for storefronts with 'masaje' .. or find Dodied .. rather than seek out places that advertise in newspapers.

cccmedia