Arriving quito 1/24. safe taxis?

we are arriving at night and have a hotel reservation..however, the hotel has not responded to my email asking them if they can arrange for someone to pick us up at the airport.  I have read that Taxi's can be problematic.  is this so?  anyone have any advise as to the best way to get to our hotel?

I think our Hotel  is in New town and we may want to go out for drinks/dinner.  Any recommendations would be welcomed.

We have been looking forward to our vacation for a while,and it is almost here.  Finally! 

Thanks,

Hi jcmcfred,

Welcome to the Quito forum! :)

Enjoy well your stay in Quito.
Christine

I don't live in Quito, I live in Cuenca but I have some ideas.

I think is safe if you use one of the yellow taxis in the airport.Just try to get a map from the airport to your hotel to make sure the taxi driver goes in the right direction.

About night live in Quito, there's many places to go at night, some ones are safer than others. Ask in the hotel for the safest ones, closest to your hotel. Don't walk at night unless there's a lot of people around.
Ask for safety tips brochures at the hotel, too.

Vinny

This is about entering Quito via plane from Canada via US.

Sorry - I couldn't find an exact blog to use so am trying this one. 

I just read that Quito is one of the few airports which DOES NOT ACCEPT EXCESS BAGGAGE, either incoming or outgoing.   This is serious - I have planned on bringing several suitcases, not just the two permitted as cargo, plus the in-cabin stuff.  Does anyone know about this restriction?

I saw pictures of Bryan and Dana Hayes (sorry, probably the wrong spelling) in preparation for leaving Ecuador and they had maybe 10 bags.

Thank you for any response.

HelenPivoine

It's a good idea to check with your airline or prospective airline to find out how much they will charge for excess baggage and how many excess bags they can accommodate.  These fees vary.

Folks, don't believe any unsourced reports that a major new airport such as Quito Mariscal Sucre International (opened 2013) strictly forbids any excess baggage. 

Lots of folks moving to Ecuador, myself included, have come through the new Quito airport with excess baggage without a problem.

If you post here again, Helen, cite your source, please.

Quito Airport Suites near the new airport has been promoting its baggage storage service at $1 a day per bag.  Tel. 09 888 99774

cccmedia in Quito

Hi ccmedia,

I got this information when surfing the Air Canada and United Airlines checked baggage policies, but find that I did not print this out.  Will try to find it and let you know.

Thanks!

HelenPivoine

I was surprised - but I see that Delta has restrictions on excess baggage for some periods:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/ … xcess.html

Most of the way down the page, or search the page for Ecuador.

Here's a cut'n'paste:

June 3
through
August 31

No extra pieces above the maximum embargo allowance. No bag over 50 lbs or 62 linear inches will be accepted for travel to/from/connecting via the following destinations:

Guadalajara, Mexico (GDL)
    Quito, Ecuador (UIO)
    San Salvador, El Salvador (SAL)
    Tegucigalpa, Honduras (TGU)

November
16 through
January 16

No excess baggage (extra piece) allowed. Checked baggage weighing 51–70 lbs. is subject to excess baggage charges. No baggage over 70 lbs. or 62 linear inches will be accepted for travel to/from the following destinations:

Bogotá, Colombia (BOG)
    Caracas, Venezuela (CCS)
    Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ)
    Manila, Philippines (MNL)
    Quito, Ecuador (UIO)
    San Pedro Sula, Honduras (SAP)
    Tegucigalpa, Honduras (TGU)
    Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA)

No extra piece allowed during this period. No bag over 50lbs. or 62 linear inches will be accepted for travel to/from the following points in Mexico:

Mexico City, Mexico (MEX)

=======================================

Also near the end of this page Quito is mentioned for United, a summer excess baggage embargo June 1, 2015 thru August 31, 2015:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content … bargo.aspx

Customers traveling to, from or through the following cities are not permitted any excess checked baggage:

Monterrey, Mexico (MTY)
    Quito, Ecuador (UIO)

Note: Information is subject to change without notice.

=======================================

I don't know why this is, but fortunately I've never run into this while traveling to Colombia - we normally take a LOT of stuff!

Hi folks,

I need to address a burning question, the elephant in the room - I am moving to Ecuador extremely soon and do not know what to say to Customs and Immigration in Quito upon arrival, if they ask what is the purpose of my visit.  They might find my residency visa documents, which I intend to carry with me on the plane.  Should I tell them the truth?  I have a Loja lawyer and documents which will be, by that time, legalized by the Consulate in Canada.

Also, how do you recommend that I carry this document envelope, for security, on the plane?  IN a handbag, or in my carry-aboard luggage?

HelenPivoine.

HelenPivoine wrote:

They might find my residency visa documents, which I intend to carry with me on the plane.  Should I tell them the truth?

Also, how do you recommend that I carry this document envelope, for security, on the plane?

Tell the truth and use common sense.  You'll be fine.

cccmedia in Quito

HP,

You definitely do not want to lie about your situation, once you have said it you can't take it back. They will not let you off due to ignorance of the law etc. So don't test the system.

Having said that, in my experience the customs people have been pretty easy to deal with. I had my things (8) military duffle bags, checked once, and they barley looked at the contents. On every trip back to EC I have brought four to six bags, each under 50 lbs. The restrictions I think are mainly during "peak" holiday travel times, but always check with your carrier first.

Anything of significant value or importance should always be carried on your person or with you in the main cabin. If customs has a question you will know, if you have to pay extra for your items, that is your decision to make at the time. If you search this site you will find many posts about others who made it through customs and what they did.

There are many little tips and even tricks you can employ to make things easier, but be smart about it. Not just for your trip but for the future trips of all Expats coming and going from EC. They are as of now, not overly strict you may even call it complacent. But if a trend of Expats trying to beat the system evolves, things could change and affect all of us, both present and future Expats.

Hi!  I am arriving in Quito Nov 4th 2015.  I was wondering if any one knew of any baggage restriction during that time?   I will leave EC Dec 11th 2015 but thru Guayaquil.  Both are direct flight to/ from Fort Lauderdale.  Also For my extra stuff,  should I do bags or will a box do?  Does any one know a van/taxi service from Quito to Cuenca?  are there Tourist coach  buses?  Thank you in advance.  Martha

MGLuke wrote:

I am arriving in Quito Nov 4th 2015.  I was wondering if anyone knew of any baggage restriction during that time?... For my extra stuff,  should I do bags or will a box do?  Does anyone know a van/taxi service from Quito to Cuenca?

Check with your airline for any baggage restrictions, Martha.

Bags or a box should be fine, your choice.

Send a PM message to member JourneymanJack for your question about Quito to Cuenca travel.

cccmedia in Quito

If you have a great deal of large stuff especially, you may want to contact JourneymanJack. You can send him an IM from here and he may be able to help. He assists Expats in transportation and moving things all over Ecuador.

cccmedia,
Sorry about that, I pretty much repeated what you had already said... Duh.

GMC(SW) wrote:

If customs has a question you will know....

There are many little tips and tricks you can employ to make things easier, but be smart about it.

Tips and tricks? 

We love tips and tricks! :top:

Spill the beans, GMC. :)

cccmedia in Quito

GMC(SW) wrote:

cccmedia,
Sorry about that, I pretty much repeated what you had already said... Duh.

Don't sweat that.  'Great minds' and all....

Now, back to tips and tricks.... ;)

cccmedia in Quito

The "Beans" according to me...  :cool:

This is by no means a complete list and I am sure other travelers can jump in and add their tips..

If you have read other posts I have made, it will be fairly clear that I am a detail oriented kinda guy. From observing customs in Ecuador, I have found certain things that may make the ordeal easier.

I have found that having more than the normal number of baggage will automatically flag you for a check. This is I feel due to the fact that there are a number of people that will travel to Florida, and other places buying goods for resale hear in Ec. Even though it will all get scanned they seem to pay little attention, knowing they will call for a check. This can actually work in your favor.

I rarely have seen the "checker" hand check every bag. They seem to be pretty casual and let the owner pull the items. They do ask questions here and there, I watched as a man made a pile of electronic items from various bags, and could almost see the $$ signs in the "Checkers" eyes. From this I would think it more feasible to spread out like items throughout the bags and if it is up to you, don't pile them all together. Especially if you know you have more than the allowed items for personal use.

Another good idea is remove all items from the "New" packaging, It will be just as new but you will be able to spread things around as described. Obviously big items; t.v.'s, stereo equipment, desk top computers etc. will not be as easy to assimilate.

It makes things even easier if you are traveling with more than one person, more people equals more baggage etc. The arrival time may or may not have an impact on customs. Logic would dictate that people at the beginning of a shift would be more motivated, and towards the end less. I have arrived at 2350 (11:50PM)   :sleep  as well as late afternoon. Neither time seemed to be overly motivated, as far as inspections go.

Trying to hide items makes little sense. If they are looking they will see it on the scanner, and if inspected it will be found, then you may have to explain why you have a new camera wrapped in women's panties etc. Obviously things of value need to be protected; totes, boxes, crates etc. Remember, the more protection it gets the more value is implied. This can lead to an inspection, but it needs to be done.

The "Gray" area.  :whistle: I do not recommend an outright lie. Trying to manipulate the truth can work but has its dangers. If you have a ton of camera equipment, and just happen to have a press pass. You could pass as a journalist. Believe it or not you can get a real press pass online for a fee.... It will not be CNN or FOX, but a press pass none the less. There are many tricks and ways to obscure and even hide items, I have decided to take an honest tack on this subject and will not go into specific details.

If you were to Google it, you can find all manner of tricks, but you must remember, if you are reading it so are the customs people....  :dumbom: 

After you have received your residency, you are allowed to bring "House Hold Goods" one time only, and not get wacked by customs. I believe the time limit is 6 months.

Another obvious way to have a good experience is "Smile", and be friendly. You would be surprised how easy people can be to deal with. Now, don't go overboard either you may draw more unwanted attention. One trick I have used with local police is to keep handing them cards and papers until they simply give up and tell me to move on. I also try to be as polite, nice and apologetic as I can stand.

You have to remember they are performing a pretty boring job, if you can make it as easy as possible for them they will naturally relax and not go "Terminator" on you. Documentation can be your friend, they seem to love documentation, and it is required ten fold in almost anything you do here. It can be used against them also.

Okay you have a ton of stuff that you think or know may draw attention. Build up a file of papers, receipts, requisitions, bills of lading, anything you can connect to your things. Yes, a paper showing a high value may not be best but quantity is the key here. I typed up a three page paper explaining what my tools were for and why I needed them, "in English" of course. He looked at the hand full of papers, looked at the tools, and waved us away. Score   :top:

Think magic, the magician wants you to focus on his hot assistant while he pulls the rube on you. Take the focus off the items in question. We once started an interesting conversation about "Hot Sauce", with the "Checker". I had brought a bottle of Texas hot sauce and asked if he had ever tried it? I popped it open and handed it to him, game over. Five minutes later we were on our way and only opened one (1) of eight (8) bags.....

This all may sound silly or even illogical. But if you have a plan and work it, you may be surprised. We have had no issues, to date. So I think there is something to it. Gaming the system is kind of a given in this neck of the woods. On the other hand, flat out lies will get you into trouble and could cause problems for other Expats in the future.   

I want to hear other Expats experiences with customs, the good and especially the bad...

Good beans, GMC. :top:

I personally would not seek online press credentials if bringing in cameras.   Could make it look like the gear is for income-producing professional use, and I'd rather look like a Gringo with a hobby.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia,

I agree, that could be an issue. I heard of it being tried. Not something I would do for sure.

CCCMedia
Just wanted to say thank you.  I will contact Journeyman Jack.  I will keep you posted.

Thank you both for the info and help.  You are really helping us first timers/ new comers.  I think what I have going for me is I speak fluent Spanish.  I Will give starting a conversation a go.  I have tried that before (not in customs) and it does work.

MGLuke wrote:

what I have going for me is I speak fluent Spanish.  I Will give starting a conversation a go.  I have tried that before (not in customs) and it does work.

The less you say around the dogs of SENAE, the better.

Saying less tends to reduce the likelihood of them asking additional questions.

The usual SOP is to keep quiet, don't stand out, keep the line moving.

cccmedia in Quito

MG,

I concur with cccmedia,

You want to use your "Gringoness" to your advantage. Showing fluency, to them will mean you should know what is going on and they may be less likely to cut you a break. Don't take this the wrong way, but you really want to come off as a typical ignorant "Gringo". Ignorance by no means implies, stupid. Just un initiated. In the Latin culture women can be considered lower than men. This means you can clearly get away with more than a man can.

Look at it as, just another tool in your tool box.

Good luck.

There is another way to get to Quito besides a Taxi who will charge upward of $30.00 to get you there.
Depending on the amount of passengers and luggage, there is a luxury bus with good WiFi, that goes direct from the airport to the "OLD" airport in Quito. I think the fee is only about $7 P/P one-way. At the old airport there are always taxi's at hand and to get to any hotel in the central area is about $3 to $4.

DCM,

The service you are speaking of is "Aeroservicios". There are associates at the "New" Airport, who are supposed to advise passengers of the service, but many still don't get the word.

So here is the deal, If you arrive in Quito no matter the time, after baggage pickup/customs. If you keep right and head for the restaurant you will see a kiosk by the exit doors that will sell you a ticket for the bus.

Tickets are $8.00, the buses were bought in 2013 and have free Wi-Fi, good seats, A/C etc. They will take you straight into Quito to the "Old" Airport. From there it is easy to take several forms of transportation to other parts of the city. They also have Taxis and shuttles for passenger use standing by.

I have consulted with this company, and have found that they are doing what they can to make their service a good experience. They are in the process of expanding the service to the South part of the city as well. The downside is that they do not make any stops. It is direct between the airports and takes on average 35-45 minutes. The service can be used both ways, and for the price is a great alternative to a taxi.   :top:

THAN YOU.  I had not thought it like that.  I can certainly be a dim American woman.  My Spanish friends tell me I look like a Gringa.  I have never used/heard  the word Gringa/o like I have since reserching EC!

It actually sounds more comfortable any way.  I think we will do just that.  Thank you both for the input.

No problem glad to help.

It is strange having been raised in the U.S. and the term Gringo being deraogatory. Not the case here which is good.

Given that this is the "safe taxis" thread, it is worth mentioning that there has been exponential growth -- in my experience -- in the use of Easy Taxi this year.  This is not just a phenomenon here in Quito and EC cities, but worldwide.

With the Easy Taxi app installed on your iPhone or hand-held device, you can order a taxi and monitor its progress toward you -- usually arriving in about five minutes in Gringo-travelled areas.

The big advantage with Easy Taxi is that the taxistas are vetted beforehand and their driving is monitored -- producing a safety factor not normally available with regular taxis.

MegaMaxi 6 de Diciembre and some of the SuperMaxi stores in Quito are now offering to call Easy Taxi for customers ... and typically provide the name and license number of the taxista who is on the way, even the number of minutes estimated before his arrival.  I personally have been taking full advantage of this service even though I do not carry a phone or device capable of installing the www.easytaxi.com app.

cccmedia in Quito

Cccmedia,

Are they from a taxi company or is it like the Uber taxi deal?

Okay, update,

I was just told that our oldest son uses this service. From what he says the taxi drivers sign up to be a part of the service. When you need a taxi you open the app and it starts a search in your area for available taxis. An exchange of phone numbers is completed and they call when they arrive at your location.

He says there is an additional charge of 25 to 50 cents for the service, especially at night. So far he says it has worked pretty well with no issues.

Thanks cccmedia, great information for taxi users.

Not derogatory just not heard it use so much.  I guess  I spend more time in Spain and Americanos are Norte Americanos.  Gringo is not so used.  In America I guess I did not noticed since I was then married to a Gringo.

GMC(SW) wrote:

When you need a taxi you open the (Easy Taxi) app and it starts a search in your area for available taxis. An exchange of phone numbers is completed and they call when they arrive at your location.

He says there is an additional charge of 25 to 50 cents for the service, especially at night....

Thanks cccmedia, great information for taxi users.

In Quito, the extra charge is 50 cents per ride at whatever hour -- well worth it IMO.

Also here, I wouldn't depend on the driver phoning you when he arrives.  Just be in the right place when he gets there, and the meet-up typically takes place without a problem.

cccmedia in Quito

When I was on a bus in Nicaragua, sitting next to this dear old lady, she started raving about the Contra war and accused me of being American, which I denied, being Canadian.  She spit on me and imitated the bombs dropping.

Americans have, as we all know, had an effect on many Latin American countries.