Expats, do you speak Spanish?

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Spanish is essential for a successful integration in Spain. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Spanish? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Spain?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Spanish?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

No doubt....and all those in Costa del Sol, come to our football matches in the world`s ninth most scenic stadium, Victoria, in Gibraltar to watch #ASteppingStoneClub for #YoungReleasedPlayers ...many from English clubs

Because English is such an international language the fact is that English speakers can generally get away with English for the majority of the situations they encounter.

However, if you don't try to learn Spanish then every single transaction becomes more difficult from getting the extra milk in your coffee to dealing with your tax declaration. Many Britons living in Spain find that their whole life is conditioned by not being able to speak Spanish. For a start most Britons  don't go to most of Spain but stick with Alicante, Malaga, and the two sets of islands because that's where the majority of Britons are. They get their plumbing fixed by an expat because they speak English, they go to English bars, they use the English language speaking insurance firms and get their telephone from some strange setup because that's easier too. Most never integrate because they simply don't know much of what is going on around them though that doesn't mean that they won't have lots of Spanish pals.

Plenty people try to learn Spanish but the fact is that unless you are actually immersed in the language (for instance you marry a Spaniard and end up getting involved with their family) then most people only get to somewhere around B1/B2 level. The youngsters brought up from their early years by British parents in Spain usually end up being bilingual but even then not all of the second generation Britons are bilingual by any means.

Castilian is generally the language referred to as ‘Spanish' however several languages are also official  or co-official and are spoken  in various parts of Spain.

Clearly it is an advantage to be able to speak Castilian, however, many foreigners, Brits in particular, have lived in Spain for years and can barely order a coffee or a beer.  They seem to get by providing they live in an area where the local shops, cafes, banks etc. speak English.

Having been a voluntary interpreter with the Policía Nacional for 20 years I am very aware of  people's inability to speak Castilian or any other ‘Spanish language' .   I am of course referring to residents not tourists.

I speak reasonably fluent spanish. However I find where we live you ask in Spanish and reply comes back in English.
Can be frustrating for those who want to practice

Frans

To avoid being spoken to in English (I am clearly English by appearance) when I was first trying to practice my Spanish,  when I entered a shop  etc. and the attendant spoke to me in English I use to say ,     “¿No hablas español?  Soy de Rusia, de qué lengua estás hablando?"   

(You don't speak Spanish ?   I am from Russia what language are you speaking?)

I never had anyone actually then address me in Russian

I would usually explain as I left that I needed the practice.

HI.I THINK ITS IMPORTANT TO LEARN SPAINISH IF U WANT U LIVE HERE.THERE ARE MANY SCHOOLS FOR SPAINISH LANGUAGE

ZAIN NAZIR wrote:

HI.I THINK ITS IMPORTANT TO LEARN SPAINISH IF U WANT U LIVE HERE.THERE ARE MANY SCHOOLS FOR SPAINISH LANGUAGE

But the vast majority of foreigners do not speak the language and there are  thousands of such living happily in Spain.  So whilst desirable, not essential.

When in Rome, do as Romans do and language is a must! As stated in another post, you will need Spanish for everything, specially when it comes to bureaucracy-related matters. In Govt offices they hardly speak English and a simple operation, can become a "via crucis". I have helped a couple of outsiders in the past and is not easy, even for Latin Americans. You may speak the language but if you're not able to understand the culture w/o doubt you'll crash and burn.

Well, it's very important to learn and speak Spanish since you've decided to live in Spain  because almost 90% of them do not speak English well. There's a lot of places to take Spanish courses some of them are almost free around 20 euros supported by the Spanish government and the rest are not free but not that expensive around 250 to 400 euros depends on the place

Hi everyone!
I' m Italian and I' ve been living in Spain for 8 years. I think you can't find a job if you don' t speak Spanish. Few people speak English or another language fluently. Maybe, a English teacher don't need to learn Spanish to work. But on a daily basis, they need to communicate when they go to shopping, in a restaurant etc.
People like me need to be fluent in Spanish to find a job. It' a challenge for me everyday, even though I' fluent in Spanish.

In my experience, the enjoyment of living in Spain 🇪🇸 is so much more by making an effort to speak Spanish.
To begin with I was laughed at for my mistakes, ( some howlers ) now I'm laughed with for my mistakes.
We live in the Campo and all our Spanish friends speak ONLY Spanish!!!
They are among the most warm, caring and helpful folk I've ever met.
We only use Spanish tradespeople and bank at a branch without any English speakers.
Love ❤️ our life in Spain and don't wish to speak English except to each other.
I started with a couple of terms of one hour per week provided by the government, but mostly just reading the dictionary and plucking up courage to speak with someone.
Be brace, learn and enjoy 😊

Hola Piciler

Como Usted? Bien yo espera !

How are you? I hope Good!

I am learning thanks.  I am really tied up with my beautiful Hija ( Daughter)

I live in England now.

Yes, you are right.
I want to learn spanish.
I started to learn now. I know the counting and am try to learn everyday.
Can you help me.

when, at the beginning, on regular daily-basis, speaking the local-language wherever-worldwide-you-go abroad is not necessarly essential per-se (you always end-up  finding someone  -the laziest-way for most people- who can help you in your own-language -mainly in English- but some exceptions)...

making an effort and learn some basic-local-language-vocabulary will not only help you to improve your language-skills a lot but also to interact with local-people plus you will always be rewarded  with a cheerful-glady-smile back in return because people will react and see that you really made that personal-effort and they always shall appreciate that..

speaking the language, moreover if you finally made the big-plunge and deciced  to live in that-place-city or country, because among some other reasons, you really like the people there, enjoy the life-style' and you love the sound' of the language-spoken there.. otherwise..

"Because English is such an international language the fact is that English speakers can generally get away with English for the majority of the situations they encounter. "

...not in Valencia - ha ha! I would estimate that 1 in 20 people cannot or will not engage in English here. It is absolutely essential to learn Spanish in Valencia or you will suffer a fate of feeling like the "eternally non-expressive tourist." It's a terrible feeling, I assure you.

Can anyone recommend any resources for studying in Valencia? I am looking for something affordable in a group setting where I can get lots of supported speaking and listening practice, but I don't have much money to spend at the moment.

Any advice is appreciated.

I came to Spain on a work assignment from the US and then returned to get my PhD at the UPC in Barcelona.  When I arrived I could speak Mexican Spanish fluently, but as time went on I made the effort to switch to castilian whch I now speak. I married a lady from Alicante, from a Valencian speaking family and passed the oral exam in Valencian  (first level) at the Alicante language school, but I have not made as much an effort over the past few years to speak Valencian. I retired here 5 years ago, and only speak Spanish, with the occasional exception of English with kids in the US and my son and occasionally Valencian. It is very difficult to obtain fluency in a language as an adult, but in my opinion very important, for the reasons stated by Culebron below.

Since moving to the town, we've found a great way to learn Spanish. Through Spanish friends we've now set up a language exchange class twice a week. It's free, anyone can join and so far, so good. I'm desperate to improve my Spanish and I find this way works well because we go at our own pace and it fits in with all our work schedules.

Matty, there's a local bar that does language exchange on Monday and Tuesday evenings.  It's called the Portland Ale House, on Salamanca just south of the Rio Turia in the Gran Via neighborhood.

I haven't yet been myself but plan on going.  I'll have to hold my nose a little bit as I'm from Seattle and my football club is clearly superior to our hated enemies, the Timbers, and the bar has a Timbers scarf hanging over the front door!

But the point is that they have locals that want to learn English and expats that want to learn Spanish.  Plus, beer.

Olla!

where is this pub?  sounds like a place for me to visit

karen, m8, it's Hola , not olla  luv.......;)....oh-la!

My wife and I intend to buy a property within the next 4 years in or around the Mar Menor.
We our to retire there at the age of 60. I have just started learning Spanish and finding it difficult. I think you need to be around Spanish speakers to learn and string frazes and sentences together but I will keep on trying . ADIOS

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : rude message

Thank you for your reply..Having suffered dyslexia all my life I sincerely hope I never meet a small minded ex pat like you..friendly people are very welcome in our lives.
As for my Spanish I only want to speak and converse rather than write.

I tried learning Spanish using the Berlitz tapes and books and found it pretty easy to pick up, but unfortunately just as easy to forget not being able to use it often!  If I get to relocate to Spain I'd certainly be looking into language classes.

We will definitely be moving in 4 years. .And next start our property search .. I think I may invest in some Learn Spanish cd's so I can learn whilst driving. .We already have our annual holiday booked for August to Skiathos. Next year we plan to fly into Alicante hire a car a tour around and look for our ideal location..At present it's the Mar Menor but weay Chang our minds.
Best of luck with your Spanish though

I think that it is essential to speak Spanish beyond the rudimentary level. The dinosaurs who think otherwise do so much harm. Learning Catalan, Basque, Gallician etc depend on your local circumstances. I do wish that programmes such as "A Place In The Sun" would reflect more of the non-Brits Abroad aspects of this beautiful country as I'm sure that many people, especially older folks wanting to retire, have a very skewed idea of life in Spain.

Hi!, yes for me learning Spanish was very helpfull since It helped me to socialize more and move around places much easier. I recommend you study at this place where I studied and helped me to raise my Spanish level in no time. It is called SpanishZomm.com and since itŽs online the classes adapt to your schedule and no the other way round.

I have just started learning Spanish from scratch on my own. The pronunciation seems to be ridiculously hard for me, I'm under the impression that Spanish speakers talk ten times faster than everybody else.

My plan is to move to A Coruña in two months where I have already secured an interesting job. Indeed, the job led me to A Coruña.

Hopefully I will be able to hold intermediate conversations after a year or two.

We've been here 4 years and the kids are fluent, us adults are a little slower off the mark.  We can hold conversations and certainly know our way around the shops and driections.  We are now focusing on going to a deeper level of Spanish and just published more about our journey today.  http://wagonersabroad.com/learning-span … idi-speak/The adults are speaking Spanish

I wish you all the very best in you new venture..my Spanish is still hlvery poor but not moving for another 4 years so plenty of time

GoodHombre wrote:

I have just started learning Spanish from scratch on my own. The pronunciation seems to be ridiculously hard for me, I'm under the impression that Spanish speakers talk ten times faster than everybody else.

After living here for several months, and living with my wife (native Spanish speaker) for several years, I can testify that Spaniards speak Spanish pretty dang fast.  Not as fast as many Argentines (though whether they actually speak Spanish is in doubt- some people say they just speak Italian and pretend that they're speaking Spanish!) or Cubans, but Spaniards certainly sound faster than Mexicans or many South Americans.

But the pronunciation, once you start working on it, is actually easier in my opinion.  The vowels don't have two sounds, only one, and thus they're always the same.  The other letters and sounds are generally pretty straight forward.

The real key is just lots of listening and exposure.  After a while, you start being able to pick out words from that machine-gun-fire sound of someone talking, and suddenly it starts making more sense.

@Priscilla

Hi Priscilla

I think it's nearly impossible to truly to integrate without good command of the language. Knowing the language allows you to understand the culture and values.

Get a one on one Spanish teacher ( someone you like and have things in common with) or use Verbling. If possible I would try to do an immersion by moving ( even for a month) to an area where few people speak English. Volunteer with Spanish children- they speak slowly and simply and can teach you tons. Hope that helps

I am from France and currently practicing my Spanish. Do you guys have any recommendations?

At work every time  i have to ask my collegue to talk to them on behalf of me because some clients speaks only Spanish. Such a nice language and nice to hear.