Speaking Arabic in Qatar

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Arabic is essential for a successful integration in Qatar. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Arabic? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Qatar?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Qataris?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

No sorry
I am Fluent in English but don't know Arabic

Yes, if you need to sustain in higher management, you need arabic language skills.

I have an story regarding learning Arabic.

I bought an Arabic course on CD's. I studied it for 4 weeks. When I thought I was ready, I tried it out on one of my Arabic friends.

He said: "I dont understand half of what you are saying. Cant you please just speak English?"   :/

It turns out my course on CD's  was for Egyptian Arabic, fairly different from what my friends speak here. 

Moral of story: do your homework before you do your homework.

Hi Learning or Speaking Arabic in these Countries is an added advantage since we deal with majority of  Arabic and it'll also help in communication especially in office, and can even help you to express your views especially when you deal with typical ones who cannot speak a single english word...However it may not help you once you're out of these regions since it's never been an Int'l language like english...

hello everybody,
Yes i speak arabic and it's my mother tongue because i'm from Egypt.
I think to learn arabic is through music , movies , chatting with ppl who speak arabic and also practice what u learned all the time.
thank you

hi every one
there are arabic classes at finar center in the souq

Actually my language is not Arabic, But the way that anyone in the Arab countries saying to me my Arabic is fluent. I learn it in back my country also i was reading some Arabic books and English books, also in any subtitle movies like bollywood movies. In Qatar if you speak Arabic it's wonderful, if you don't now wories most of expact in this country don't speak Arabic, and most the Qataries know English. So there is no proplem in Qatar as long as you speak English fluently.
Hope i give you an Answer to what you want.
💗

Also AlJazeera training center has classes

NO,I don't speak Arabic and learning Arabic is so challenging becouse of different Arabic vocabularies used here by different arab nationalities.

yes I speak arabic - I have been learning it for four years - I have a private tutor

its hard to practise because most of the cafes are workers from english speaking countries

I also speak french, russian and some spanish and arabic is by far the hardest to learn which is why so many expats only last six months and then give up

but its worth keeping at it - but you have to enjoy it

so far it hasn't made any difference for employability - but its fun to speak with the locals who are shocked that a foreigner speaks arabic

Arabic is interesting if u have African origin especially east African. It is abit difficult for me to speak but I can understand most of what they speak especially for those who speak at moderate speak. My language Swahili came from Arabic because of slave trade era,thus making Arabic kind of similar in a way to us. The difference ain't that big. But speaking for me is only basic level.

Mr. Mike1m that's very nice,
I'd love to meet you and speak arabic with you , also i'm trying to learn spanish i only know few words like how to introduce myself only .
you doing a good job

Yes I do speak Arabic, it's my native language since I'm from Lebanon. I have to say it's not a necessity to know Arabic but it does give an great advantage to know the countries native language. First and foremost, knowing Arabic in Qatar allows for broader social integration and relieves limitation of segregated social interaction based on language, because even thou you can achieve minimum objective communication relative to your work environment, subjective matter communication will be stressful, hence, unfavorable, and diminishes significance in character presentation that could otherwise bring forth the politically motivated opportunities in a personal or a professional area. With that being said, fortunately the expat community is very diverse and rely mostly on English as a universal language, so while knowing Arabic can give an edge, it is not a necessity for success by any means. I've dealt with Asian and western CEOs who don't associate in Arabic at all, just keep in mind language is not the only means of communication, and knowing the language doesn't sufficiently make you  effective at communicating a clear message.

Well, I lived in Qatar for six years and didn't know much Arabic and survived.

However, I was trying to learn Arabic and even hired a teacher but my main issue was...... what type of Arabic dialect should I be learning?

I decided that it would be wise to learn modern standard Arabic (Fusha Arabic), because then, where ever I am in the Arabic-speaking world, I can simply use these basics and people will probably understand me.

If you want to do well in Qatar and be more employable then learning Arabic will certainly be of benefit to you.

Dear Priscilla

Ana l'adrussa al arabia.

Arabic is very important learn it.

Best regards
Pascale

Hi

Im here from 2008 and I don't know how to speak Arabic yet and its not mandatory at all dear...

I think The difficulty is in not speaking Hindi or Urdu because most handimen and labors or blue collars neither speak arabic nor english

Hi
Hope you are doing good

i do not think that we all should know arabic to survive in this country, there are many people here living without knowing arabic and they are not facing any issues, i know arabic... not very well but still i know some. And i studied it from my country and its India.

Here there are many language centers in doha where u can study basic things in arabic language  mainly the primary communication things...

Its easy to learn but lot to learn n understand if u wana know thevlanguage very deep

Thanks

Agree that it certainly helps. I will learn if I can get a job there soonest :)

Dear

It is ok if you say it's not mandataroy but in respect of the country you work and life you should make a little effort of learning the language so far that you can understand the simple way of lifing and the culture.

To think it's not mandatory is a poor life setting and shows how you ignore a beautiful culture.

TIIF language Institute at Education City is good to start brushing up your speaking skills in a short period of time. The emphasis is only on spoken Arabic and not other aspects such as grammar or writing, reading and listening etc. The best way however would obviously be to regularly speak to a native speaker.