Speaking Finnish in Finland

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Finnish is essential for a successful integration in Finland. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Finnish? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Finland?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Finns?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi!

I speak and learn Finnish by myself because I don't like the courses a lot enought I went a courses in different Adult centre that was really cheaper.

I'm agree, in Finland without Finnish, the life is so hard because if you want search a good job, really need Finnish language but in Helsinki you have differents courses for learn enought when you go far away from the capital, the courses are minor and only for the beginners.

I try to go a differents activities with Finns because is a good way for learn and speak a lot.

Hi,

if you live in Helsinki area you can well cope without Finnish, perhaps also in other larger cities, but e.g. at country-side you must speak Finnish or you will have very little communication and as already said, you will have difficulties to find a job.

You can learn the language by the book and take a friend to practice the pronunciation. That's how I learn it. It is a difficult language, but if you just don't give up, you will eventually get it. You can take courses  - there are plenty available from different places, but you have to learn also on your own as much as possible. Google with "learn Finnish" and you will find plenty of results.

Good luck!
Jackie

If you are planning in living here all your life then learning Finnish would be a good idea. It will take a lot of time..  If not then restrain from learning it because the time you will invest in it will not  worth it. Investing into Swedish which is a national language here and also common in all Scandinavian countries is far more rewarding.
Swedish , however is not very productive in Finland.
Let me know what is the reason for speaking Finnish and i will be more specific in my answer.