Non EU wife work permit

Hello everybody,

I hope I am not posting something already asked. I searched the forum but I could not find something similar.

So here I go:

I am Greek currently employed in a greek company. I live in Greece. I want to relocate in Malta.
I got married with my non EU wife here in Malta. She is studying here in Malta and she currently has a student visa.

My question is:

Can she work here in Malta without me being employed in Malta?
As my wife, supposedly I am quiting my job in Greece, can she work here with me being unemployed in Malta?
Is there a way for me not to live with her here, her being employed in Malta and me being employed by greek company? (if there is another option than posted worker let me know)

either scenario would fit me but realistically i would like to keep my greek job

The page below and the FAQ related can help you with this question:

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/re … dex_en.htm

Thank you very much for your responce. I ve read it.
Something that they do not clarify though. My wife has already a job offer on the island. What happens in that case?

non-EU wives of Eu citizens have the same right as EU citizens. She can work and study freely, but she should apply for the residency card immediately I would imagine as she has already been here more than 90 days which is the normal time limit.

It only works if you are both in the same country though as she piggy-backs on your passport.

Thank you Dorieus.

She still has her student visa that expires in August. So I suppose she is OK until then. No?
Can I be unemployed for a period here in Malta while she works? Basically I want to clarify if her right to work in Malta derives from my obligation of being employed. This needs further clarification.

Your employment status doesn't effect her under freedom of movement, unless she hasn't registered with the Maltese for a residency card after she has been here three months which is the legal requirement.

I would suggest doing that right away for yourself, if you haven't already and her applying for one also based your marriage status. She would be entitled to study for free and have all the benefits of a Maltese citizen then.