Studying in Ecuador

Hello everyone,

Would you recommend studying abroad in Ecuador?

Every year, 4 million young people from all over the world choose to study abroad for one semester or a full academic year. Would you encourage them to come and study in Ecuador?

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Priscilla

Would you recommend studying abroad in Ecuador?

Absolutely, what could be better than spending a semester or two in a friendly country. The experience would probably be cherished for a lifetime.

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area?

The best universities in Quito according to people I know are Universidad San Francisco de Quito and Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador

Are these free of charge?

No they're not but both offer financial aid to smart students who need financial assistance.

If not, are tuition fees expensive?

For a developing country yes the fees are quite expensive especially if financial aid isn't awarded, but these are top universities.

Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities?

USFQ has a good amount of international students as they have exchange programs with foreign universities. The same is true for Católica, although I'm not sure if these are independent students or part of exchange programs.

What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Spanish

Nothing beats being exposed to new cultures for learning about life, but attending university in a foreign language is an issue. Even if your Spanish is strong you are likely to miss nuance unless it is your native language.

By all means spend a portion of your studies abroad, but make sure you do it appropriately and not as a way around a tougher ciriculum.

As far as particulars goes, I have no idea. Lots of students and schools here in Cuenca though.

Absolutely, I am a gringa and have taught at university level and graduate level in Quito.  It is a wonderful experience to learn in this lovely little country.  The experience is more than you can imagine from these remarks.

Contact me directly if you need specifics and I may be able to assist you.
sueb4bs