New members of the Portugal forum, introduce yourself here – 2017

Hi Everyone

I'm looking to buy a property in Lisbon and I'm looking for someone who can manage and clean it when I'm not there.

Thanks

Gilly

hello Gilly
if you are planning to buy it a bit further north, Caldas da Rainha or nearby, I can get that done for you.
Best regards,
Luis

Thank you but definitely Lisbon for me.

Thank you but definitely Lisbon for me.

Thank you for your fast reply.
If you know anyone interested in costa de prata area, I will be pleased to help.
Good Luck

'ello ms myers(dang! short term memory...myers vs Meyers), you must be very excited just about now for your impending trip- bon voyage!   as I am just beginning my research into the possibility of moving to Portugal, I would be most interested in your impressions/thoughts in regards your visit at  some time in the future. have a wonderful time!

Hi everyone- my name is Leann and I am looking to relocate to Lisbon in January 2018 for 6 months with husband and 6 month old daughter- she will be 1 year by then.

I grew up in New York, USA and currently live in Virginia.  I was educated in Speech Language Pathology here- and have worked as a speech therapist with children and adults.  I am also a certified yoga instructor.

I joined the group to make my move to Lisbon a reality.  I want to learn about housing, neighborhoods,  jobs, education for my daughter, healthcare access, and any other tips the group can offer.  I love languages and speak English, Spanish, some Russian, and want to learn Portuguese but have not started.  Please contact me by forums or messaging about any experiences and practical advice about relocation with family. 
Thank you!
Leann

Hello, everyone!  My name is Najla but everyone mangles it so they just call me 'Z' (lol).  I've been sailing the ocean blue for the last 2 or 3 years as I search for my forever retiree location but alas, I shall never sail again.  Woe!  Woe!  My girlfriend in Porto was very convincing in her argument that I should come to Porto and use that as my base for further exploration of the world, Albeit on foot, and not by boat.  She continually pelts me with pictures of her neighborhood and the surrounding area and her quick trips to Spain, Italy, France, London... blah blah blah! and I've finally given in to the peer pressure. Or, maybe it's a form of Stockholm Syndrome!?  OMG.. (laughs)

Anyway, I'll be making my first visit to Porto hopefully in the Spring of 2018 and I will stay until I decide not to.  I'm strangely flexible like that. I've been using Duolingo in order to get the basics of Portuguese down. It's working out pretty good and it's free, unlike the evil Rosetta Stone program.  Hmm, what else?  Well, I would love to meet loads of expats who are into exploring every corner of Portugal and its surrounding area.  I'm a retiree, but I'm younger than the norm and I love to see what is around the next corner while my knee's don't creak.  (grin) 

Double hmm.  What else should I toss on this thing?  I am horrible at introductions!  I guess I should toss this on here since I'm hoping for hang out buddies.  I'm ex-military, I'm a tetraplegic (hands, arms, neck). But! It doesn't slow me down, I don't need a keeper to wipe my nose or anything like that. I do walk a bit carefully since it's a boner for balance when you can't move your head properly, but otherwise, you won't notice it much at all when/if you meet me.   

Ok, no more babbling from me.

Hello Z,
I don´t know if anyone told you before, but Portuguese is one of the hardest languages to learn. I believe you have felt that  if you have started to learn it on your own. If you need a hand in order to take some steps before coming to Porto  I can help you with that. We can work through Skype, my contact is lcosta72. If you want a 30 minutes free trial, just let me know.
PS.: once I was told "the best way to spend your money and become richer is by traveling" So, my friend, don´t stop.
best regards,
Luis

Hello Leann,
I am happy to hear that you have decided to live in this beautiful and warm country. I believe  you are going to enjoy it very much.
I Live in a small town about 100km North of Lisbon. I have some contacts here and in case you decide to rent or buy a house in the surroundings of Caldas da Rainha, I will be glad to help you on that.
I am a also teacher myself. I teach English to primary children and Portuguese to foreign people, mainly adults. As you probably know already, Portuguese is a quite complex language. In case you want to start right away with some classes in order to make your integration smoother, I can teach you through Skype, my contact is lcosta72.
Why not give a 30 minutes free lesson a try?
Best regards,
Luis

Thank you for the welcome and the offer, however, I have a BFF  who lives in Porto and she's been helping me with pronunciation.  I mangled Ele and Ela, but I have the hang of it now.  :) Go me!

Hi,

I'm from Sunny South Africa :) I'm now living in the Algarve, South of Portugal.  It's a beautiful place with amazing weather, food, wine etc. Only problem is I don't have many friends here and would like to meet expats living in Algarve too. Have a great day everybody! 🌞

Go you!!!
;)

My wife and I retired a few years ago to the Cayman Islands and have enjoyed the time but its not an ideal fit. Its been great in many ways but is crazy expensive and never cools down. We love the heat but when its 28 at night and feels like 32 for months on end, its a bit too much. Its also a ver small island with limited things to do. We are originally Canadian and in our early 50's. We have visited a variety of European cities over the last decade and although we haven't been there it appears The Algarve may well be just about exactly what we are looking for. Golf, tennis, ocean views and great weather. I am now researching what locations we should really consider and then probably look to find a place to rent for 6-12 months and come and live there and if all goes as planned, then find a place to live. We are trying to get a grasp of the lifestyle and locations and any help or suggestions would be great. We only speak English at this point and have no issues making the effort to do our best to learn a new language.

Hello Rob,
As you have never lived in Algarve, it is a good idea to rent a house for a while just to make sure that is what you really want. In my opinion it has two things you might not like very much: overcrowded and extremely hot in the summer.
In case you look for a warmer climate and a peaceful place, give Costa de Prata a chance, it is 100km north of Lisbon, near 2 highways, near the beach, several average cities with everything you need without much hassle. In case you need some help to settle, I live near a great city in costa de prata - Caldas da Rainha- I am also a Portuguese and English teacher. I have taught many foreigners who want to settle or just know more about our culture - language, traditions, History -
In case you need my help with the language, no matter where you settle,  we can work via Skype or any other platform you feel comfortable with. If you plan to learn some more about "our way" feel free to contact me so we can start before you get here.
Welcome to Portugal!!

Hello all on the forum. I am a newbie to Portugal and I am a qualified English Teacher with a BA and PGCE. Could anyone please forward details of language schools looking for teachers. Thanks.

Dear Members,

I am Charles from Paris. My wife and I plan to retire in Portugal after a summer holiday we passed in Algarve three years ago. We have been pleasantly surprised by the courtesy of Portuguese in a very touristic area, where usually foreigners are being taken advantage of. Delicious grilled fish, wonderful beaches and the highly oxygenated Ocean (compared to the bidet bowl the Mediterranée has become .....)
We just hope housiong prices do not soar before we acquireour new home :)

Hello, I have been without food for 2 days and the future looks to become worse.
I came to Portugal to live and work in January.
The company stopped paying me in March and I have survived until now.
I am on a camping site in Avis and now owe 2 months rent because there is no income.
I have run out of savings and other means of support.
Please can you help or suggest help.
I am of course willing to work, volunteer, help in exchange for food and accommodation/camping pitch.
I also have a car that I can sell, best offer has been 300 euro scrap value... (not going to do that)

Michael Banks

Hello all. I am Darren, 27 years old, Scottish and living in the UK.

I have work experience in retail and construction, I hold a CSCS card which allows me to work on building sites as a manual laborer.

I've been wanting to move and work abroad, the UK does not click with me, I am meant to live elsewhere.

My current job status is unemployed, I've been in and out of jobs, moving places. My whole life path has been an indecisive one probably due to my unhappiness in the UK, I feel like I should have been born and raised in another country.

I understand the economy is rough in Portugal, job crisis and whatnot. But that is where I want to go. It's not a pipedream, I'm being realistic. I also have a couple of contacts there but it's absolutely my responsibility to stay on my two feet if I live there.

Currently I'm looking at job vacancies there, primarily in the construction industry.

Hello, I currently live in Saint Petersburg FL,  I am interested in semi-retirement in the Algarve.  What do I need to know the most?  Is English spoken in most establishments?  What is life like there?  Do expats get together often; is there an active expat community?

I've just landed in paradise, again.

After a year of hopping back and forth between the UK and Portugal—humming and hawing about whether to make a permanent move to Lisbon—I finally took the plunge and moved to this enchanting city at the end of September. 

I'm a freelance writer who relishes travel and spending time in new environments, but must admit it feels strange and ever so slightly disconcerting to be here as a non-tourist. I guess it will take some time to bed down properly. In the meantime, I'll immerse myself in language learning and searching for long-term accommodation.

Canadian man in Felgueiras in Porto region.

Hello, I'm from Vancouver Canada.
I just recently moved to Felgueiras.  I'm here to do some work with the
Portugese Ministry of a Education.
I'd like to meet people both Portugese and expats.
Colin

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : Please avoid sharing your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi there, it sounds as though you've really been through the PT paperwork mill. Would love to hear more about your experience so let's do coffee.

Hi there!  I'm in the states, but traveling to PT in less than a month for 8 nights.  I'm looking at land and buying a plot for a future container home, ideally.  I'm investigating land 35 minutes South of Coimbra and also some due East.  Although, I'm concerned about weather, as I like it warm (not windy, as I have chronic dry eyes).  I don't like winter, so would only want the most mild if any.  I'd love to meet when we visit the area, if you are interested.  I'll be traveling with my mom, fair warning!  We are staying in Lisbon and then Albufeira with a rental car the whole time.  Open to other areas, but don't have much to spend ($30-35,000 max) for land.

Hi!  This is Wes.  Thank you for the warm welcome.  First time joining a forum, this is all new to me.  I joined the Portugal forum because my wife and I plan to move there in June 2018.  My father was born in Portugal and moved here when he was young and married an American woman, my mother.  After he took me to Portugal to visit family in 2006, when I was 17.  I fell in love with the people and the country.  I have been three times since 2013 and want to make the move permanent with my wife.  I hope this forum can help us with questions we simply can't get here in the USA by using Google.   Thanks again for the warm welcome.  I look forward to hearing from you all!!

Great, next week and Cais do Sodre area both fine, and as I'm flexible will leave the time and place up to you. Look forward to it.

Hello
Strange as it may seam, now there is lack of people to work in the construction.
the pay is poor and learning Portuguese is a must.....
the country is fantastic, nice weather, sunshine almost all year round, the people are warming welcoming I think you will like it. If you plan to live in a small, cosy  and by the sea city such as Caldas da Rainha or the surroundings I will be pleased to help you with the language and accommodations.
Best regards

Moderated by Christine 6 years ago
Reason : please share your contact via your private message system. Thank you.

Hello SW
which part of the country have you visited?
where do you plan to stay in?
have you considered to learn the language?
I am a teacher and I can help you with some bureaucratic stuff, apart from the language lessons, of course.
best regards,

Hi lcosta.  I have visited a lot in Portugal, from Algarve to Porto, Braga, Guimaraes, Coimbra, Tomar, Obidos, Peniche, and of course Lisboa.  My wife and I are hoping to find a place close to Lisbon, if not in Lisbon shortly outside.  I have some family that live in Lisbon.  Most of my family is from Viseu, but we wanted to live in Lisbon at first. We both want to learn the language, unfortunately my father never taught me, so I have been trying to learn on my own by going and visiting family and reading sport newspapers such as Abola and Record daily.  I am an avid fan of the Seleccao and follow them trhoug the newspapers.  My wife is a teacher as well, we have been looking into American International Schools or just International schools in Lisbon, however they want people who are already living in Lisbon.  So we are hoping when we go there and apply we can attend an interview as she is highly qualified for these schools. As a teacher yourself, do you have any recommendations?

Its good country for staying here, thre has lots of job opportunities in agriculture. Its very peaceful place that's why m willing to stay here.

a

Hello SW.
Cambridge School has Portuguese courses for foreigners.
Meanwhile if you are interested in taking a few steps while you are in the USA, you can send me a private message and we can work through Skype or Facebook.

Hi Guys, i am deepak from india, i recently came in portugal & i want to stay at Portugal/ lisbon. I am looking for job here right now. So kindly help me find out some work for fulfil my needs. You can contact me on facebook, LinkedIn skype also. 
dk004447@gmail.com.

Regards.
Deepak Kumar

Hello Sir, i am looking job. Can you help me to findout some good opportunity??

Regards.
Deepak Kumar

Hello SW.
Cambridge School has Portuguese courses for foreigners.
Meanwhile if you are interested in taking a few steps while you are in the USA, you can send me a private message and we can work through Skype or Facebook.

Hello, friends:

My name is Shanna, and I live in San Diego, CA. I am planning my first visit to Pt. in Feb-March 2018 and if all goes as planned, attempt to move shortly after that.

In all honesty, I am daunted by the logistics, paperwork, and timing everything just right.

I have a small condo and a vehicle to sell, and then there's the matter of my little dog and getting him ready, finding a place to live, getting the tax number, banks account, and so on. All this thinking, planning, and positing different scenarios is exhausting! And doing it alone has made it difficult for me to maintain the momentum--I've been feeling disheartened of late (but that's okay--it ebbs and flows).

A bit more about me: I'm a writer & creative strategist. I've had my own business for nearly 13 years. I'm location-independent; I can work from anywhere with a decent internet connection. I'm a native San Diegan, but I have lived in Washington and Oregon--twice!

I'm looking forward to meeting expats and locals, learning the language, and getting involved with the arts and other creative pursuits.

You can contact me on my email***
I have lived here for several years and could help you find somewhere to rent or buy depending on what uou want
Good luck anyway
Regards

Chris

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum but rather exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello Shanna
You can contact me on a private message in case you need my assistance with the  language. I am a native and I have taught the language to many foreigners who want to live in Portugal or just want to know a bit more about the portuguese way. In case you don't want to live near Caldas da Rainha and while you are out of the country we can work through Skype or facebook messager. If you plan is to live near this wonderful city we can have lessons in person and I can help you to settle.
Good luck

Boa tarde everyone!
My name is Simke (or Sim) and I'll be moving to Lisbon in less than a week.
I'm 22 years old, half Greek, half Turkish.
I decided to take a break from aviation ( I was working as cabin crew in Greece) and got an office job in Lisbon. I also plan to continue my studies in Psychology.
My boyfriend is Portuguese, and although I've I will be going to Portugal alone(he'll join me after a few months) I feel very calm and excited about this transition. He and all my friends that have been there always paint their descriptions of the city with the brightest colors. 
If anyone would like to grab a cup or coffee or tea sometime, I'd be very glad to meet you guys.

Hello
I m new in expat
I hope i will get more information and help and support in lisbon
And i love to make new friend and meet new people.m

Closed