New members of the Portugal forum, introduce yourself here – 2017

Hi all,

Newbie on the Portugal forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Portugal if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Portugal forum, introduce yourself here – 2016 continues below!

Hi! Joe here. Cheryl and I just arrived in Lisbon and are here for five days. We're on a grand improvised tour around Europe looking for a potentially friendly new abode. If anyone is up for it we'd love to meet up. Or just some advice about how to get the most from our visit.

Cheers!
   Joe

Our blog: JoeandCherylTravel.com

Hi Joe, welcome on board  :)

Feel free to add your blog in the Blogs from expats in Portugal section of the website so that members may go through it.

All the best,
Bhavna

Hello everyone, my name is Fiona, I'm 47 years old, married, and a happy mother of 2 children currently living in Liverpool, England.

I decided to sign-up in this forum to try to know more about Portugal, especially the Algarve and its residents and traditions.

I have in my plans very soon to move here, since my parents have been already living in Tavira since 2015

I love Tavira and am delighted with the Algarve that I hope to explore more and get to know better.

Greetings to all

Hello,My husband and I are planning to move to the Algarve area sometime in 2018. Lots of details to work out yet, but we hope to be able to rely on some advice from those who are living there. We currently live in San DIego, Ca.

Mike Wasinski
Mikeywaz

Hello Portugal!

I am Mo, from Egypt. I lived in Spain, UK and Germany before, and I'm considering moving to Portugal this year. I will probably go to Lisbon first, and then later I may relocate to another place where rent is cheaper. I am a consultant so for the start I could make Portugal lie a second home for the beginning, and then see how things go.

I hear the economy is not great, but I think this seems like a general global thing now, so I wanted to ask you guys of how do you see things, especially expat who lived in other European countries that I can relate to.

If you go back in time, would you have done the same or would you have chosen another country?

Thanks
Mo

Hello everyone.
My name is Mimi. I am looking to move to Lisbon for 3 months this March.
I would like to work while I am there - looking at internship opportunities.
If this will not be possible, would I be able to get odd jobs that pay cash?
I would appreciate your suggestions from people already there.

Thanks

Ola' everyone!!
I am an italian women 38 years old. At the moment I took a sabbatical, from my work and I entered in a PhD program in Nursing in Lisbon. I am living here with my boyfriend that is portuguese. I looking for  new friends and I also would like to improve both my english than my portuguese. If someone is interesting in a cup of coffe or tea :)

Maybe there are also some places where is more easy to meet people...I would appreciate any suggestions!!!

Thank you Leti

Hi there. Just arrived. Have rented a place for a year - moving to be creative somewhere with more light! If there are any performers out there - particularly vocal but also instrumental - and fellow writers, give me a shout? I'd be interested to hear how creative folk get on here. Gordon x

I am carlo from Italy and a newbie in this forum
I am a retired pilot ( alitalia) and i am planning to move to portugal at least for 6 months a year.
I would like to know about all procedures i must follow to do that. Expecially about all fiscal sides i can get .
Thanks all
Carlo

Hi everyone and welcome on board  :)

If you have any specific question, make sure to create your own topics on the Portugal forum so that members may provide their feedback.

For newbies, the Living in Portugal guide will provide you all the essential informations.

All the best,
Bhavna

We are starting the golden visa process with Henly and partners, starting by buying real estate in Lisbon. We are scared to death about it, and would appreciate any advice,  especially if anyone is doing the golden visa as well! Or if you have any tips about real estate  - or about Lisbon in general.

Moderated by Chris 7 years ago
Reason : Advertising of services is not allowed on the forum. Please register in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I'm  going to sign for and own a flat at matosinhos 29 may 2017

Am looking to be in touch with easy going good fun people

My knowledge of the language is extremely limited but I'm  learning fast and find that the Portuguese people themselves are so patient and understanding

Am not agist and feel that friends are of mixed ages but generally like minded

Look forward to anyone just getting in touch to say hi

Bye for now

Ros

Hi , My Name is khaled , I am from Egypt and I arrived recently to Portugal , I work as engineer in Maia and I am looking forward to meet new friends .

Hello kale.  I haven't moved in yet but I'm very much looking forward to it. Have you been in maia for a long time and are you enjoying it?

Hi Ros , Thank you for your reply , I am living now in maia since 4 months , I find maia quiet and peaceful place  ,people are friendly , because they don't have much tourists around   they don't speak much English . in general  I like living in maia .

glad to see you have settled in successfully and are enjoying it

I am looking for busy and sea as I've had quiet for the last few years

I need to open a bank account when I next come over but can only do that with a Portuguese address, I believe

yes the people are lovely but I need to work hard on my Portuguese...lol

Would love to hear about your Golden Visa experience.  We are looking at options to move to Portugal.

What part of the GV process do you want to hear about? We're early on, bought real estate and will officially apply in the next month or so.

How long does it take to get the GV? As in a timeline after you have bought your property?  What was your reason to take up the GV? Where did you move from?

I don't have the GV yet, I'll be applying in a few weeks. After that I'm told it wil be two to four months before I am approved. Do realize that it has taken a good six months to get to this point, although you could probably do it quicker if you are focused.

I am from th US. We are concerned about the direction that the US has been going over the past 20+ years, and want to make sure our daughter (as an adult) can leave the US after we are no longer welcome in the rest of the world.

We will be in Lisbon early October.  Would love to connect up with you to find out where you are at.  Let me know if you are interested in meeting?

Cioa Carlo

My name is Sarah and I am already here in Portugal.

I work for a Real Estate agency called Ideal Homes and we are based in Vila Sol.  If I can help in any way re any questions you may have feel free to drop me a line.

We have access to independent experts such as tax advisers, mortgage advisers and lawyers so I will be able to get access to any information you require.

Parlo un po Italiano pure!  (Male!)

Portugal is a wonderful place to live and be.  I hope you like it here.

best regards

Sarah

Hi there

Being scared is not a bad thing because this will ensure you ask and have answered all your questions!

We have many clients who are also going through the Golden Visa programme.  When you are looked after correctly, the process goes smoothly.  The one tip I will give you is to ensure you have all your documentation - originals, from the outset, ready for submission.  This will be the best way to smooth the process which should take no longer than 90 days if the process is followed correctly.

I would also advise that you get independent tax advice from an expert.  Your agency should be able to introduce you to the relevant experts.

Take it slowly, don't rush and you will be fine!

Welcome to Portugal - when you come to the Algarve pop in and say hello.  I work for Ideal Homes Portugal just outside of Vilamoura.

Good luck!

Sarah

Moderated by Sarvesh 6 years ago
Reason : No free ads for your website + register your business in the business directory of the website

Hi All,
We're the newbies to all things Portuguese and will be visiting Faro in October for a week, would anyone like to catch up for a coffee and chat and impart your local knowledge to a pair of Capetonians?
We are planning to relocate to Portugal in the not tooo distant future.
Many thanks
Pamela

Hi Julien,

Thanks very much for your warm welcome.  :)

I am Sergio and I'd like to get in contact with expats in Portugal. You see, I am self-employed Canadian auditor, and the reason I am thinking of moving into Portugal is that a have a big client of mine in the EU who needs me there permanently (or at least for several years).

Last April 2017, I went to Lisbon for a short visit and I like it very much. Therefore, I began to seriously consider Portugal as a place to leave and work. I found the place quite safe, not very expensive if compared to other EU countries, but honestly, I don't know more about Portugal. Visa, rent, taxes, the cost of leaving, people, alternative places to live are a mystery to me and I don;t know where to start.   

I would appreciate so much the opinion of expats with similar profiles currently living in Portugal. Feel free to contact and ask more details, please.

Many thanks.  :thanks:

Sergio.   

Hi Mo! I'm Australian and currently working in the UK but need to elsewhere in Europe soon as my visa ends here in England in a month. Portugal looks great and I'd love to hear your thoughts on consulting via a limited company (which is what I do in the UK now). Could we connect?

Hi everyone

I'm retired and living in Australia, looking to spend a year in Portugal.  It's been a lifetime ambition to live in Europe, and I can't wait to learn the language and immerse myself in the culture.

In the past I've enjoyed short stays in the Algarve and Northern Portugal.  Now I'm looking forward to having time to explore more of the country and meet its people.  Thanks for the forum.

Hi I'm Shaun , currently living in North London .

I am hoping to purchase a property in Portimao later this year / early next year .

I will be visiting next month for holiday and also to obtain my fiscal card .

Could someone please advise what documents I will need other than my passport , also will I be issued with the card on the day or posted to my uk address ?

Many thanks

Shaun

Hello everyone!
My name is Katharina, 20 years old, and I have moved to Lisbon yesterday for my first job. I am French born and bred. Half of my family is Portuguese, so I have travelled to Portugal a few times, but I can't speak the language unfortunately. I am looking forward to meeting other expats to see things together and become friends, perhaps 😊

hi there
I am Rhys from Australia and moved to the Coimbra region about 3 months ago. I have plans to learn Portuguese but would welcome the chance to meet with others from time to time to speak english and share experiences, things we both have learned and new ideas.
If this sounds like you, then let me know.
cheers
Rhys

Hi,

I am responding to your post..... "Portugal looks great and I'd love to hear your thoughts on consulting via a limited company (which is what I do in the UK now). Could we connect?".

You and I have a couple of things in common: I am Australian (and American) and I am a free lance IT Technical Project Manager.  I have been in Porto since mid-May and am kind of semi-retired, but only until something interesting comes along. I have been playing with the idea of consulting with a limited company here in Portugal, but I have realized that Language will be the biggest hurdle. Although the younger generation speaks better English here in Portugal than  in Spain, it's still not "commercial grade", if you know what I mean. The best way to do this would be to have a company in the UK that also has a branch here in Portugal and you and I could be the conduits between the two organizations.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Hi kilimu,

I am responding to your post..... "Portugal looks great and I'd love to hear your thoughts on consulting via a limited company (which is what I do in the UK now). Could we connect?".

You and I have a couple of things in common: I am Australian (and American) and I am a free lance IT Technical Project Manager.  I have been in Porto since mid-May and am kind of semi-retired, but only until something interesting comes along. I have been playing with the idea of consulting with a limited company here in Portugal, but I have realized that Language will be the biggest hurdle. Although the younger generation speaks better English here in Portugal than  in Spain, it's still not "commercial grade", if you know what I mean. The best way to do this would be to have a company in the UK that also has a branch here in Portugal and you and I could be the conduits between the two organizations.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Funda from Cappadocia, Turkey. Remote worker for a software company. Ready for a big change. Porto seems like a great start for that. Let's see what happens

HI  :)  (I am not sure how this works as I can't see replies on any of the listings but here goes)...:-
My husband and I are planning to move to the Algarve in Portugal in 2018 whilst our daughter is still very young. We are both expats (SAfrican and Canadian) living in Britain for years but I really want to live in the Sun again and love the Portuguese lifestyle.
We would love to connect with any ex-pats living in the local area by this means or face to face as we have a trip coming up in July to explore the area.
We need help with anything really - the main being tips on accommodation and services for children and families.

Thanks a million :) for any help :)
Robyn

Hi

Not sure how this works. My name is Pam and with my husband Paul we are looking to move to southern Portugal late this year or early next year taking early retirement (life is just way too short).  We currently live in Australia. Paul is British and I am Australian so there will probably be lots of questions later. We have only ever been to Lisbon and surrounds so we will have little idea on where to live.  We thought we would arrive and just wing it but that may be a little crazy.
Cheers
Pam

Hi Mikael from Helsinki here! 27-year-old engineer, planning to move to Lisbon in October to follow my dream and start working full-time as a self-employed triathlon coach, and also pursue my own triathlon career and see how far I can take it.

My main question right now is: should I bring my car to Lisbon or not? What are your opinions? Arguments for and against?

Thanks!

Hello.  I am considering moving to Portugal in the next two or three years.  I live in Philadelphia and have my own small business here but, interesting as it may be at times, I am eager for a change.  As my first effort to explore the possibility of moving to Portugal, I am planning a trip to Lisbon from September 9-14.  I would very much like to meet other expatriates, especially those from the United States, and to learn more about the realities of living there.  If anyone would like to meet for a coffee or something during those dates, I would really appreciate it.

Hello Letti
My name is Luis, I would be happy to help you to understand better the Portuguese way. I have been working as a tutor for the last 15 years and I have helped many foreigners to understand our language, our history.... in a word, our culture or our way as I like to call it.
I have a degree in English and Portuguese, so I believe I can help you in both languages.
I live in Caldas da Rainha, a small city 100km north of Lisbon so we could work through skype.
My Skype contact is ***. We could try a free lesson and If you feel I am the right person to help you we would continue. how does it sound ?
Best regards,
Luis

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
Closed