About Toronto city

Hello anybody!!

My name is Lenin I am peruvian, I am going to Toronto, to study for 6 months and I'd like to know about some place to shareroom or contact any people to shareroom. I'll arrive on March.
If anybody can offered some job also, is good received.
I hope someone can tell me about Toronto city, cost of life, the weather, cost to the food, and tips to I can live there.

Thank you very much,

Lenin.

Hi Lenin, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Your topic has been introduced as a new thread on the Toronto forum.

Concerning your accommodation search, i suggest you to post an advert under Toronto classifieds > flat share, house share section.

I wish you good luck,
Christine

Hello and welcome,

I am going to copy a witness advise of a person who used to live in Toronto:

So Toronto ... there are plenty of nice places, really, really , nice ...

Some neighborhoods are little more expensive than others but ultimately all depends on what you are looking for. If you want to live alone or with a roommate so prices are very different.

I myself moved 8 times in five years and went through not too expensive with roommate to…. Expensive and alone.

To get an idea, go to: www.viewit.ca, but everything depends of the places

Now I live in High Park, and I thought I was paying too expensive for my apartment but I got a large room, lounge, large kitchen and a piece of garden. A friend of mine lives in Eglinton, and for a small bachelor they pay $ 100 less ... um .. It's the same everywhere you will find more money somewhere else ... and cheaper as it can be the opposite, maybe a two piece is cheaper to Eglinton that either .. We must REALLY LOOK FOR A LONG TIME BEFORE TO FIND THE PEARL RARE .. It took me 8 moves to find my corner, and I think I try all the corners of Toronto ..

Where I live there is the bus in front of my door. I have three streetcars important in the city that are ot very far ... am 15 minutes by foot from the subway Keele, the park has two minutes and the lake was 8 ... so ones must choose his place  and see if that what really he is looking for ;)

For example: I live in Little Italy, but it took me time to go underground because I had to change twice the bus / streetcar to go to the metro. But it was nice and not too expensive. I wanted a place where I could have easy access to transport ...

After some experiences the places to avoid are: Parkdale, Chinatown, me myself I did not like Dufferin and bloor ...
but it's not too expensive ...

Nice places to see: Little Italy (college / bathurst and between ossigton) Greektown (Danforth / brodview) bloorwest village, eglinton, The Beach (Queen / Woodbine)
there are so many ...

Places has a nice to live too: any places that you do not have to change busses lots of time to go to the metro, and it's better to be near a metro ... a place where you can go do your shopping without having to take the bus ... all depends if you want to be near the city, down-town, or not far but still gives you the feeling of being near the down-town centre. A quiet place, easy to access ...

Places that are not too expensive outside Toronto?? I do not know so I can just tell you that there are some more places to avoid for living ... as avoided Jane Finch, Scarborough, ...

I know that Mississauga is pretty nice as a place, (my ex was from there), but you have also Markham, a little further ... I know Brampton, Richmond Hill it's a nice place to live, my friends live in there. You have both sides of Yonge Street, I do not know which side is very expensive, by the other is less ... Don't know why?? You're going very quickly to realize that, as People who live near Royal York, south and north are different. Buying a house south or north is a big difference.

In short conclusion, to find accommodation even in Toronto, it's expensive ... not to mention to buy a house ... But by doing a lot of research you will find what you want.

To find a house is better and cheaper outside of Toronto. But all depends on your Job . Coming from outside to work in Toronto you must love traffic jam in the morning and evening to go back .. . and parking lots in town are very expensive. Best if you work in town but you live outside so the best is to use train.www.gotrain.ca , I think ..

Another place not too expensive and not far from the city's south of Etobicoke, there are houses not too expensive, but you have to do some renovations ...

here we are .. Good luck!

You'll find your happiness I am sure ...

Wich that could help you Lenin

Hola!
Yo soy mexicana,por el momento no vivo en Toronto pero tengo familia allá por lo que he ido en varias ocasiones y espero estar por allá en unos meses, espero te sirvan mis tips.
Si vas a pasar el invierno allá necesitarás ropa especial para el frío y la nieve, sobre todo botas, ya que las que yo uso aquí en México casi me hacen resbalar.
Las recomendaciones que te dió Abdel sobre TO. tienen sentido para mí, sólo quiero agregar que te compres el monthly metro pass o algo así ya que te ahorras mucho dinero con eso.
Puedes usar craiglist para buscar cuartos donde vivir, trabajos, etc. El costo de una comida normal varía dependiendo si comes en una franquicia, un puesto de hotdogs, o un restaurante muy nice. Yo te recomiendo mucho Rich Tree Market, mi restaurante favorito porque ellos mismos hacen su pasta.
A mi me gusta mucho Harbour Front Centre(hacen festivales al aire libre durante el verano), Little Italy, UofT, las calles Bloor y Yonge.
Suerte y ojalá nos veamos por allá.
Si sabes de alguna comunidad latina o mexicana por favor hazme saber, si?

I visited Toronto nearly ten years ago and was very impressed with the diverse climate of people, and the special architecture within the downtown area, very unique! Anyway, I'm ready to leave the US (had always planned to do so) and so I'm starting to do my research on Toronto, i.e. jobs in my field (IT),  economy emphasis, healthcare, housing, etc; I'm divorced and an experienced professional with a salary around 80k so I'm not looking to start over but I do have entreprenuer aspirations. Is Toronto "business friendly" for startups?

Any advice or shared expereince from anyone is greatly appreciated!

James,

Hi iandri ,

I don't speak spanish, just know few words. un pocito hablar spagnol :)

Perhaps you asked if anyone knows any person from a latino country and living in Toronto. Unfortunately I just know some of them in Ottawa as I am living in Ottawa.

I wish you good luck.

Hi Lenin!

My name is Lenin too. I live in Toronto. Please contact me. I would like to meet you and see if I can help

Welcome on Expat.com Lenin :)

Thanks!