Potentially moving to Toronto

Hi - My company has asked me to consider a 3 yr assignment in Toronto at the beginning of next year and I'm preparing to go there this weekend for a scouting trip.  My wife and I are looking for a good location to live that is an easy to commute (no more than 25 minutes) to Bloor street (That's where my office will be).  We have an 18 month old daughter and 2 dogs, so we would like a safe area with access to parks.  My wife won't be working, so the area is of utmost importance to our decision about taking this role.  It's hard to tell online which areas would be good to live in but I've heard wonderful things about Toronto in general. 

I've been told that Rosedale, Forest Hill are good locations but we have between $2,500 - $3,000 CAD per month for rental allowance, so I'm looking on advice on where to look based on everyone's experience.  The monthly allowance is just a range, so if there are areas that would be more desirable and cost a bit more, I would still be open to look at them.  Because we have a infant, I would also like to live in an area that would be child friendly and perhaps have young families so my wife can potentilaly meet people so her adjustment is easier.

Any assistance or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Hi Bob,

My wife and I just returned from an orientation trip to Toronto to make sure we would like living in Toronto before I accepted the position.  As you may have figured out already, housing costs are relatively high (but it is a metropolitan city) and there is a very low vacancy rate (something like 0.7%).  We toured the various neighborhoods and got a good sense of the city.  For our lifestyle (having dogs and an infant) we thought The Beaches, High Park and Roncevalles would be good locations for us.  We also liked Rosedale but that can be pricey.

I'm not certain where you are coming from and how big a house/property you have now but if you are looking to live in the city then you should realize that you'll likely be downsizing.  In our price range there was only one house (actually duplex) that met our criteria.  Unfortunately that house will be available November 1st and we won't be going up until February 1st.  The fact that we have dog(s) is going to make finding a house more of a challenge for us, so hopefully you don't have that issue.

I only spent 4 days in Toronto but it is pretty neat because of all of the neighborhoods makes it feel pretty small since they are all pretty self sufficient. 

Good luck in your search and I'll answer any other questions I can.  I was hoping others who went through this process could assist but I'm sure my question was a bit too general.

Hi Bob,
Another area you should consider is midtown neighborhoods such as Davisville Village and North Toronto around Eglinton and Mt. Pleasant. You could find rentals, townhomes in your price range. You are right some landlords would have an issue with pets.

Another interesting spot that may work for you could be Greektown and Leslieville, a new hip neighborhood in the making. Both of these are just east of downtown Toronto.

Good Luck with your move and if you have any questions ask away.

Hi,

If you are not inundated with offers of help, drop me me line again.  I do not own a car but would be happy to help you to navigate around if you pick up a rental.  I have lived in Toronto for more than 20 years now and know the city and environs well.

Unless it is important for you to live in a wealthy area (Rosedale) you may additionally consider an area called The Annex, which is also in the Bloor Street area and is family friendly.

I am mostly retired and have a bit of time to help once you get here.  You wrote you are coming to check things out "this weekend" - dates would be helpful. 

Be well,

Lydia

Hello!

You should also consider what intersection your office will be at.  Bloor St. is a fairly long street, so if it is closer to the west (Mississauga), you may want to consider living in the suburbs, or Etobicoke.  If it is closer to the downtown core, you may want to consider some neighbourhoods downtown.  You should also consider whether or not you will be driving or commuting.  Being close to the subway is good, but often times it can be a long commute.