Job - International teaching position

Hi
Hi I am a secondary school science teacher in the UK and am looking at working in Quito at an english speaking international school. Does anyone know what the average qualified teachers salary is in Quito? The job application just says competitive. also is there an expat community in Quito, would not being able to speak Spanish at the start really limit my experience there?
thanks

Hi there,
I am also an English Teacher.
There are some international schools in Quito. You can google them and apply for a teaching position; but, based on my experience, I recommend that you also go there in person as it usually takes time to have an answer.

Please feel free to contact me if you need any assistance.
I am also a Spanish Teacher as a tutor so if you'd like to learn Spanish, I can teach you.

Best,
Shima

Shima86 wrote:

I recommend that you go there in person as it usually takes time to have an answer.

By all means, arrange a personal visit. 

Not because it takes time to get an answer .. but because you'll want to see the school in person .. and they'll want to meet you before serious consideration of your application.

There might be a rare occasion where a super-qualified teaching candidate connects with a school desperate for his/her skills .. and they meet via Skype.

But the reality is .. anybody who thinks they can get hired by an Ecuador school via long distance .. is simply dreaming.

cccmedia

Dear Leekelley and Shima,
Having been an ESL/EFL instructor for over 30 years and taught in various countries, it is true what cccmedia suggests: you have to be on the ground (in most of Latin America) to job search. Also, typically salaries are quite low to what you may be accustomed to in your native country for obvious reasons.  To target the audience of educators, you may want to navigate to Dave's eslcafe.com and click on the link entitled "International Teacher Job Forum" and scroll down to Latin America where you can read posts from those on the ground. You can also subscribe and post your inquiries there.  There are numerous threads about Ecuador.  It is a reputable, informative and up-to-date site for EFL instructors. Good luck!
PS

At the international schools the salary (depending on your degree and experience) ranges from $1,600-$2,400/month).  I have been a teacher here in Ecuador for 6 years.

amyf wrote:

At the international schools the salary (depending on your degree and experience) ranges from $1,600-$2,400/month).  I have been a teacher here in Ecuador for 6 years.

Thank you, Amy.

That whole range is more than I would have expected.  It's plenty for a teacher and a dependent to live on .. on a typical Expat budget. 

cccmedia

Hi, Amy,
That is encouraging news which I shall share with posters on Dave's.  Can you share what credentials are required of such a position (state licensure, X years experience, subject/level taught, Spanish proficiency level)? This info is not for myself but younger  teachers matriculated from B.Ed. programs in the US aspiring to teach in Ecuador.

Happy New Year!
Thanks much.

Regards,
PS

Usual requirements are at least a Bachelor's degree and 2 years teaching experience (this is for the International schools in Quito). Do not need Spanish proficiency.  The contract is usually a 2 year contract.

Just saw your post. I am not in Quito but I am an English teacher here in Ecuador with quite a bit of international experience. Generally, foreign teachers in Ecuador are paid $6-$8 per hour. Rarely have I heard of anyone getting $10 an hour, except perhaps if they are a private tutor. There are very few university positions here so I wouldn't count on that. Most universities also require at least a Masters in English, a masters or even a doctorate in another field will not get you in the door. Being bilingual is also important. The public schools (primary and secondary) typically hire Ecuadorians who speak English. Once in a while you will see a school seeking a native English speaker who is bilingual as well. These schools typically pay Ecuadorian teachers less than $600 per month and require a large number of hours per week (over 40)... which includes classroom time and prep time at the school. It would be very tough to live here in Ecuador on what you would make as a teacher. I am retired and don't need to teach... I do it because I enjoy it. If you must earn a living, Ecuador and all of Latin/South America. for that matter, is probably not the best choice for you! This is everything I can share with you based on having lived here for over 5 years. I hope you are fortunate enough to prove me wrong!! Good luck to you! Drop me a note and let me know where you end up! Regards, Jeffrey :)

Super and accurate advice!

Again, the private international schools in Quito pay a lot more for foreign teachers (between $1,600-$2,400/month at schools like Colegio Americano, Cotopaxi, Colegio Menor, Alberto Einstein, etc etc).

My wife just accepted a job at an international school in Guayaquil. Her starting salary is actually (suprisingly) quite a bit better than the range I'm seeing quoted on here. As a bonus, after a couple skype interviews they offered me a posistion as an EA as well.

If you have a teaching degree and teaching experience the best way to find a job abroad is to sign up for a job fair. Our nearest job fair was in Iowa at he Univerrsity (we are in MN). You pay a fee and sign up for the fair, at which time you granted early access to portals with hundreds of job listings all over the world. They tell you what the jobs pay, if they accept dependents, pay for housing, travel expenses, etc. You can apply in advance for the ones you like before attending the fair. In our case my wife applied for about 5  jobs in various countries before. A few called back and asked to see them at the fair, others got back to us and initiated the interview process via skype. We accpeted an offer from one of them and never even attended the fair. We will be moving to Ecuador in July!

Hello there!

I'm looking to do the same. Would you mind sharing the website for the online to job fair/ protal? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mtschmidt84 wrote:

If you have a teaching degree and teaching experience the best way to find a job abroad is to sign up for a job fair. Our nearest job fair was in Iowa at he Univerrsity (we are in MN). You pay a fee and sign up for the fair, at which time you granted early access to portals with hundreds of job listings all over the world. They tell you what the jobs pay, if they accept dependents, pay for housing, travel expenses, etc. You can apply in advance for the ones you like before attending the fair. In our case my wife applied for about 5  jobs in various countries before. A few called back and asked to see them at the fair, others got back to us and initiated the interview process via skype. We accpeted an offer from one of them and never even attended the fair. We will be moving to Ecuador in July!

Hi Jane,

The job fair was last weekend but here you go: http://www.uni.edu/placement/overseas/homepage

You need to sign up through them to recieve access to the portal, but you can see on their website, there were three schools at the job fair from Quito alone. As far as I know, schools are anxious to hire teachers ahead of time so finding a position for the 2017-18 school year might be a little tough at this point. That being said, it might not hurt to sign up through them, this will give schools the oppurtunity to contact you. If a teacher backs out somewhere maybe there would be an oppurtunity for you?

Thanks for the link. I got this when I tried to register:

The registration deadline for the 2017 UNI Overseas Recruiting Fair has passed. No new registrations are being accepted. The fair is at capacity and no waiting list will be maintained. Registration for the 2018 event will begin in September.

.....I guess I should try to apply to the schools directly? Would you be able to say which were the other schools that that had opening?

Thanks again!

Yeah, like I said, the job fair already happened. Can't really say which schools would be looking because a) we didn't attend and b) I would have no idea if these schools hired someone or had a new hire back out. However, there is a list of schools that attended which is still available through the link I posted, I believe. Maybe you could find those schools' websites and their contact info.

Quito Private schools.

Average Salary about $3.00/hour with the 15-18 hour work day requirements, and required Saturday and Sunday requirements.

Culture: Racist, bigoted, rude.

Staff: Ignorant generally, mean, and verbally abusive.

Intolerant of Native English Speakers

Length of Position as a teacher:  No matter your level of certification:  Expect your tenure to last 2-6 months at most of the schools due to the culture and treatment.  They will write you up for using the bathroom, eating on your break time, etc.  They will offer you an indefinite contract, housing, etc.  They will deduct this from your final check.  You will receive little to nothing of your last check.  Benefits are limited.  The companies do not help or protect their teachers.  Students and Parents are always right- really. 

I have worked as a teacher here for two years, and plan to leave as soon as possible.  The biggest liers are the owners.  They only play lip service and tell you what you want to hear until you are gone.  Believe them and come here at your own peril.

I do not recommend the following schools:

EF, Wall Street, Colegio Americano, and especially not: ISM Academy Quito, ISM International School/Academy or ISM Kids Academy.  If you are an English speaker do not go to these schools unless you want to lose money, and be very angry/upset when you leave.

Wow dude, not sure where you've been working or maybe it was you and not them? I have been teaching in Quito for over 6 years and yes, many of the private international schools have questionable leadership- but the salary you said is way off, as well as some of your other comments.

Hello,

I read your post and I decided to respond to your question, I am a Canadian female and I went to Ecuador two years ago. I visited Quito but I chose to stay in Cuenca instead, I don't know if you're a male or a female, but if you are a single female, I think you need to be very careful living in Quito which is the capital.   Quito is certainly not the safest place however, Cuenca, Vilcabamba and some other cities are safe, I am a French Teacher, while I was in Cuenca two years ago, I got a job offer in one of the Universities in the language department unfortunately, in order to teach in the country, my teaching degree needed to be accepted by the Minister of Education  in Ecuador...knowing Spanish is very important if you want to be integrate into the culture.

Good luck!

Jeffrey,

Very insightful.
Any leads to room/board for exchange of ESL classes summer 2018?

Thanks Trish

If I may add a question here?

I am actually also looking for possibilities in Ecuador (unfortunately from abroad...), and currently having a look at university websites, as I am wondering whether they might not need language teachers. So far, many universities do not seem to offer any career pages (or I simply might not have found them, although I speak intermedaite Spanish).

As I am German, I have looked more for German language positions so far (I know of the German Schools).

Does anyone know where to find career offers at university level (I tried "careers", "oferta laboral", "empleo", and have not looked through all, yet, but noticed that I could not find many offers. Is there a centralised website for positions like these?)

And, also: Does anyone have any idea which schools apart from the "official" German Schools might need a German teacher and would pay within the salary range mentioned above for international schools, or at least  not the typical local salary?

I would appreciate any helpful comment!