Where can I find....?

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

A electric blanket is really meant to (air) warm the bed in an unused room.

A hot water bottle is cheaper and a safer bet.

My dearly departed mother had an electric blanket she used before she got into bed.  Her bedroom wasn't unused but she' was old and suffered from circulation problems.  Her hands were always cold.  She used to wear gloves sometimes when just sitting watching TV.

IMHO, electric blankets as a concept seems quite dangerous.  I bet there are statistics on casualties caused by electric blanket.   Electric blanket carnage perhaps.

Those electric blankets scare me too.
We usually shut the gas heater off at night too, never know.
A few years back I did something so stupid that just thinking about how bad it could of been makes my hair stand on end.
I had some oral surgery that morning and then I took some pain pills. Was chilling in my room watching some shows on my laptop and had on a very old electric heater that had belonged to my in-laws, it was not safe because the screen cover was gone.
I wasn't thinking clearly and was feeling rather good with those pills and all.
I got up to go make some hot tea and tossed a blanket over my shoulder, right on top of the heater. Came back in the room a few mins later and there was a small fire in the room. I screamed my poor husband came in and tossed the blanket off the heater and burnt his arm a tiny bit. He got the fire out before the curtains or anything large got on fire. Had a black stain on the wood floor , had to really scrub it off.
I was quickly back in reality after that.
Tossed that heater in the trash that same day.
Talk about a buzz kill...

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

A electric blanket is really meant to (air) warm the bed in an unused room.

A hot water bottle is cheaper and a safer bet.

My dearly departed mother had an electric blanket she used before she got into bed.  Her bedroom wasn't unused but she' was old and suffered from circulation problems.  Her hands were always cold.  She used to wear gloves sometimes when just sitting watching TV.

IMHO, electric blankets as a concept seems quite dangerous.  I bet there are statistics on casualties caused by electric blanket.   Electric blanket carnage perhaps.

Those electric blankets scare me too.
We usually shut the gas heater off at night too, never know.
A few years back I did something so stupid that just thinking about how bad it could of been makes my hair stand on end.
I had some oral surgery that morning and then I took some pain pills. Was chilling in my room watching some shows on my laptop and had on a very old electric heater that had belonged to my in-laws, it was not safe because the screen cover was gone.
I wasn't thinking clearly and was feeling rather good with those pills and all.
I got up to go make some hot tea and tossed a blanket over my shoulder, right on top of the heater. Came back in the room a few mins later and there was a small fire in the room. I screamed my poor husband came in and tossed the blanket off the heater and burnt his arm a tiny bit. He got the fire out before the curtains or anything large got on fire. Had a black stain on the wood floor , had to really scrub it off.
I was quickly back in reality after that.
Tossed that heater in the trash that same day.
Talk about a buzz kill...

Wow!

Anything ex-commie electrical here is likely to be dangerous when compared to modern electrical standards. 

I've got a grinder from commie times and it's incredibly dangerous.  It was left behind by the previous owner and on a bracket embedded in the wall of the shed.   The wiring is more exposed and there are no safety guards at all.  It still works but I wouldn't risk it.  So I've taken it off and removed the plug.

In the 1950s, my Mum and Dad were living in Australia and houses there are wooden and on wood stilts.  He was frying some sausages or something and the pan caught fire.   He grabbed it and threw it out the window.  The flaming pan somehow went under the house and set it on fire.   He managed with the help of the neighbours to put most of it out.  My Mum came back from the shops - she'd been there on the bus - and found the house half gone!

Houses here should be fitted with smoke and CO (carbon monoxide) alarms.  And electrical protection devices (Europe: RCD, US: GFI).  We have detectors both upstairs, downstairs, in the roof and in the shed.  We test them every few months or randomly.   In fact, I replaced two of them about 3 months ago as they only have a life of 5 years.   

I know very few people have them here.   Should be compulsory.

Where can I find affordable options in Budapest for:

1. pillowcases, blankets etc for decorating the living room

2. standing lamps

3. desk

4. cat scratchers

?

Thanks!

rip_kirby wrote:

Where can I find affordable options in Budapest for:

1. pillowcases, blankets etc for decorating the living room

2. standing lamps

3. desk

4. cat scratchers

?

Thanks!

www.Ikea.hu

If you don't speak Hungarian, look it up on an English or other language speaking Ikea site, note the product number, then check the availability on the HU version using the product number at a selected Ikea store.

There others like Lutz XXX and Moema X - all in Budaors.  Nothing special and some of it cheaply made.

BTW, not all Ikea products are available  in Hungary.  We've had to drive to Austria and Ikea SCS to get stuff.   That was pre-COVID19.  Wouldn't bother driving there now.

Yeah I know Ikea is an option - I wondered about the hidden gems. Thanks.

I tell everyone who moves to Hungary to bring their own washcloths and pillowcases unless they are handy enough to make their own. Blows my mind that Hungary has finally imported the ,"standard" size pillow but there is no case for it.
Every trip back to the states has me bringing back these items. I once in a blue moon give them away to newbies who forgot to bring their own.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I tell everyone who moves to Hungary to bring their own washcloths and pillowcases unless they are handy enough to make their own. Blows my mind that Hungary has finally imported the ,"standard" size pillow but there is no case for it.
Every trip back to the states has me bringing back these items. I once in a blue moon give them away to newbies who forgot to bring their own.

I have a feeling that Ikea pillows are an unusual size.  Not standard at all.  I suppose it was to make sure you bought the pillowcases as well.  I know also their beds are a different size as well.   I know from living in Germany, pillows tend to be quite large and more square than in the UK.  Same sort of thing here.

We are heavily into Ikea here as there's not much choice otherwise but we struggle with some things like sofas - Lutz XXX is really Lutz ZZzzzzzzz and Moema X only has flimsy stuff.   We need a new sofa but Ikea doesn't have what we want so feeling a bit stuck.

One thing we have done is some Ikea hacking.  We bought some shelves here as part of a  modular furniture range but couldn't get the right sized cupboards to go with them. So that's when we went to Austria and Ikea SCS in Vienna and bought the matching cupboards and brought them back here. Then we assembled it all here using some simple carpentry skills.  Worked OK.

Never understood why they didn't sell the appropriately matching cupboards here.  Weird.

Hi that Since winter is in the harsh weather, for the Electrical blanket or bedroom, if some neighborhood need this, could contact me that I have factory in shenzhen doing this, they could offer in a quicker speed, within a week, and a cheaper price. with ce surely

***** whatsapp Byden

Moderated by Mickael last year
Reason : Do not publish your public data here
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I could send one for free if needs @

I could send one for free if needs @
-@bydenlaser

Best to buy these things in Hungary to make sure they are up to safety standard and there's guarantee and come back on the retailer.

CE marks mean nothing much and are easily forged.

@bydenlaser I do not believe on harsh winter, when we arrived in Hungary it was harsh. Commercial promotions not appreciated. We can look for ourself

@bydenlaser I do not believe on harsh winter, when we arrived in Hungary it was harsh. Commercial promotions not appreciated. We can look for ourself
-@cdw057

Past few winters have been quite mild.   I can see this one being quite similar. 

But we do need some hard frost.

I was seeing flies and bugs only a week ago and we need the bad ones to die. 

They can come back in Spring.

@rip_kirby

As already mentioned I buy many items in IKEA. If its something I really need I use Amazon or e Bay or just bring stuff over from my home in  the UK.

I've got a really good electric blanket that I purchased from a lady who brought it back from the UK.

I never heat my bedroom so it's perfect for me.

I don't really know the truth but Hungarian winters tend to be a bit milder than years ago .