Where can I find....?

I was having some difficulty buying some stuff here which I could easily find  in my home country. I thought I'd start a thread on where to get whatever it is you need - a service or  some items.   I'll start us off......

I am looking for small amounts of acrylic resin of the type  used with a catalyst/hardener. 

Typically this stuff is used with fibreglass to make small repairs to car body work but the resin and hardener also be used make an excellent super strong glue to repair anything from a suitcase to a fridge shelf.

I can buy this easily in the UK but the only places I see here sell it in large quantities (like 5L).  I only need maybe 1L which would last me more than a year.

Any ideas where I can get such things here?  (Tried car parts places, DIY shops -- no luck).

Look on "ebay germany"

capttamas wrote:

Look on "ebay germany"

Maybe I should have been more specific - primarily I am talking about getting stuff in Hungary so it's easier to get in a hurry.

If I can get it in Germany, I might as well just bring it from England which defeats the purpose of my original posting. But anyway, I personally cannot bring it on the plane as it's inflammable.

So Hungarian supply sources please!

fluffy2560 wrote:

Tried car parts places, DIY shops -- no luck).

The only other place I can suggest, if you did not try already, would be art and craft supply stores.

Acrylic resin is often used by artists, crafters and hobbyists in casting small objects; so maybe art supply stores have it in smaller quantities.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I was having some difficulty buying some stuff here which I could easily find  in my home country.

That is a pretty long list for me. But not just from my home country. As you said, I can find a lot of things from the UK that seem to simply not be available here. At least I can not find them. So "crowd sourcing" where to locate such things is a great idea.

My first one is an electric shower. Not a small water tank (those I can find here), but a heat on demand system.

P.S. We do not have a natural gas line. So please do not suggest a gas solution.  ;)

klsallee wrote:

.....My first one is an electric shower. Not a small water tank (those I can find here), but a heat on demand system.

P.S. We do not have a natural gas line. So please do not suggest a gas solution.  ;)

Yes, those showers are very common in the UK.  I've never seen them anywhere else.   But even though it's not Hungarian sourced, you can get these mail order for delivery here (contrast with my request as showers not inflammable for mail order).

See here: Electric Showers from Screwfix

These use whopping amounts of electricity and also involve water so getting the installation correct is vital for safety. I mean, cable sizes, grounding etc as these would be all single phase.  Unlikely one could find a 3-phase shower heater (far too dangerous) but one can find domestic 3 phase water heaters. 

BTW, if you ever get gas, be prepared for some major nonsense to get that done.  We've had two plans done, 4 gas people and much "advice" from neighbours (all of it useless) and two guys to dig the trench.  And we've already got gas - we just wanted to move it.  Mrs Fluffy has been working on it more than 3 months already.

fluffy2560 wrote:

But even though it's not Hungarian sourced, you can get these mail order for delivery here (contrast with my request as showers not inflammable for mail order).

Sure. I can order from Amazon in Germany. But having a local distributor is better for warranty and parts.  :)

fluffy2560 wrote:

These use whopping amounts of electricity

Sure. But in a tiny house, every sq cm of space saved not giving over to a large volume water heater counts. And from years of desert living, I am a pro at the 1 minute shower. :) 

fluffy2560 wrote:

BTW, if you ever get gas

No fears. Won't happen on our street in my lifetime.  :)

Heck. We own two properties on this street, and only one has even electricity.  :cool:

fluffy2560 wrote:

much "advice" from neighbours (all of it useless)

I hate to say this, but I would, off hand, call that an all too often defining characteristic in Hungary.

The old, two Hungarians but three opinions dilemma (i.e. not only does everyone have an opinion here, but it is not uncommon for them to have multiple and differing opinions on the same issue).

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

But even though it's not Hungarian sourced, you can get these mail order for delivery here (contrast with my request as showers not inflammable for mail order).

Sure. I can order from Amazon in Germany. But having a local distributor is better for warranty and parts.  :)

Sure but then again, same problem I face - does anyone actually have this stuff here?

Any help on the following gratefully received.  I mean not just Googling it - I can do that myself.  I want real info on suppliers in HU otherwise I'll have to get it organised from the UK. 

1) A 3-phase set of indicator lights for DIN rail mounting., Should be "slim", not "wide".

2) A 3-phase isolator, 4-pole, lockable, preferably DIN rail mountable (not just interlinked MCBs, needs to be a big switch to operate all phases plus Neutral off at the same time). Could be surface mount if necessary.  I could possibly give up on this for a 3-phase RCD.

3) Above possibly in-built into a consumer unit (electrical cabinet) with space for 4 x MCBs and a 3-phase RCD.

Above can be about 40A max.

and separately:

4) Emergency stop button (mushroom switch) with keylock. Should be "push to open" with keyswitch to unlock/reset (closed circuit).  Surface mount.

Where can I find.....

A national distributor for Chai tea?

Specifically, what common big box store sells this (except Tesco -- I do not shop there). We have many big box stores so if Chai tea is offered in one place I can ask about it being offered here. Have not seen it locally.

Please do not tell me about some store in Budapest that has Chai tea. I do not live in Budapest. Yes, I can order it online. But looking for a local distributor option.

This one is technical and unlikely to get replies. 

I need a three phase electricity (3P) transformer from 400V to 230V, about 5-7kVA.   These tend to be industrial not domestic units and can be very heavy (50kg+).

This should be of a 4-wire cable (L1/L2/L3+E and no Neutral/Null), multiple taps for 230V, be in a professional metal box and preferably with built in MCBs, fuses, RCD etc.   

I believe the 3P supply is Delta with N/E provided by the generating company so I need to have this box suitable for Wye to get the taps and the N.   

Willing to have a 2nd hand unit, possibly ex-military but must be in excellent condition.

And obviously it should be cheap!

Here's a request for all experts out there for something I cannot find hereabouts - at least not at Bauhaus or the obvious places etc.

In English, these are sprung steel clips or "terry clips" (no idea why).  In German they are Federstahlklammern but Google thinks they are  "Rugóacél klip" in Hungarian which I get but Mrs Fluffy says this is a nonsense name.

I want these to secure a replaceable water filter on the wall, maybe for lightweight cylinders up to say 5cm diameter, 30-40 cm long.   I know could order these from China but I want them yesterday so HU sources only please!

Anyone? Hungarian name for these? Places to buy? Preferably Bp area.

Pics:

Sprung Steel Clip

Yes, I know the clamps you seek. Try searching for "pipe clamps". I never have seen them in metal here with the open end, but I have found plastic pipe clamps that basically do the same thing (but maybe not as well -- less springy as so less range of pipe/canister size will fit). I have never needed one as large as 5 cm, but here are some in case you are are interested:

https://www.szivattyuwebaruhaz.hu/terme … lincs-50mmhttp://www.royalbrinkman.hu/termekkatal … egen-klemm

FWIIW, and you probably thought of this already, but I have also just used Velcro straps screwed to the wall. Also works for removable items, but not very "solid" if what you need to hold has any sheer stress or might move around in the strap.

klsallee wrote:

Yes, I know the clamps you seek. Try searching for "pipe clamps". I never have seen them in metal here with the open end, but I have found plastic pipe clamps that basically do the same thing (but maybe not as well -- less springy as so less range of pipe/canister size will fit). I have never needed one as large as 5 cm, but here are some in case you are are interested:

https://www.szivattyuwebaruhaz.hu/terme … lincs-50mmhttp://www.royalbrinkman.hu/termekkatal … egen-klemm

FWIIW, and you probably thought of this already, but I have also just used Velcro straps screwed to the wall. Also works for removable items, but not very "solid" if what you need to hold has any sheer stress or might move around in the strap.

Yes, thanks - the examples you gave are for electrical conduit - snaps in.  I think I need ones which would surround the cylinder more, hence the spring part and the closed end.  They would hold by pressure without bolts or screws. It's an awkward location and getting in there with a screwdriver will be quite difficult - hence the idea to pull it out.

I dunno, this is one of those things driving me bonkers.  It's a trivial item worth maybe 50 HUF an item and absolutely no-one knows these things here.  I can get them on Ebay maybe from China no problem but what with the shipping etc., it gets crazy with costs and worst of all, the delivery time is too slow.

I've got some 50mm smaller rubberised steel pipe clamps which I'll end up using or adapting but it's a very heavyweight solution for a lightweight problem.

Grrr...

While I'm having a whinge-fest, I ordered some electrical sockets online - minimum delivery time is 2 weeks.  It might be my imagination but I am sure lead times on getting stuff here have started to get longer and longer.

Anyone any experience on buying used clean 1000L IBCs as rainwater (from roof) water storage for garden use?  If so, where did you get them from (cheap cheap cheap)?

An IBC (International Bulk Container) looks like this:

https://atloxpack.hu/asset/termek/dscf6899.jpg

In Hungarian: Tartály, IBC.

The more expensive food safe ones are used a lot in transporting wine here. If only to be used for rain roof water, there are cheap, new ones from places like:

http://www.convoy.hu/en/spd/4970/Tartaly-IBC-1000L

New and used from:

https://www.agroinform.hu/aprohirdetes/ … A1ly+IBC/s

klsallee wrote:

In Hungarian: Tartály, IBC.

The more expensive food safe ones are used a lot in transporting wine here. If only to be used for rain roof water, there are cheap, new ones from places like:

http://www.convoy.hu/en/spd/4970/Tartaly-IBC-1000L

New and used from:

https://www.agroinform.hu/aprohirdetes/ … A1ly+IBC/s

Great! 

Any experience in using them in cold weather? 

Mainly wondering if the plastic will rupture if it's full up and freezes to solid ice?

I have a lot of full HDPE tanks in my cellar in winter, but none are exposed to freezing temps. But I think they would mostly handle it if they froze, because they are very thick plastic to prevent O2 transfer. But the cheaper water tanks, yes, those may crack if left full outside. And I would be especially concerned about any of the fittings for water exit at the bottom of these tanks, unless they were metal (and they are usually plastic on these tanks). The fittings I would say would be the real weak point that would break first if frozen.

If you want real freeze protection, best to bury the tank and use a small pump to get out the water. Burying also avoids UV damage to the plastic.

klsallee wrote:

I have a lot of full HDPE tanks in my cellar in winter, but none are exposed to freezing temps. But I think they would mostly handle it if they froze, because they are very thick plastic to prevent O2 transfer. But the cheaper water tanks, yes, those may crack if left full outside. And I would be especially concerned about any of the fittings for water exit at the bottom of these tanks, unless they were metal (and they are usually plastic on these tanks). The fittings I would say would be the real weak point that would break first if frozen.

If you want real freeze protection, best to bury the tank and use a small pump to get out the water. Burying also avoids UV damage to the plastic.

Thanks.

Yes, the plastic nozzles/fittings look like they might not last very long. I don't really have a place to bury the tank easily so I think once the cold weather comes, I'll just have to drain it and leave it empty.    I'll probably get two of these and drain my shed rainwater into them, with a small pump to get some higher pressure for watering the plants with a hose pipe.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I don't really have a place to bury the tank easily

I can think of a lot of reasons why it may be tough to bury a tank. But, I am simply curious, why in your case?

I had to get creative, myself. I buried a tank, and planted the vegetable garden over it. The access port is currently sticking up between my cucumbers and tomatoes. :)

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

I don't really have a place to bury the tank easily

I can think of a lot of reasons why it may be tough to bury a tank. But, I am simply curious, why in your case?

I had to get creative, myself. I buried a tank, and planted the vegetable garden over it. The access port is currently sticking up between my cucumbers and tomatoes. :)

Yes, I know I could do it.  We're not dealing with a large area of garden.  I am not 100% sure but we may have rock a couple of feet down which would be difficult by hand. There's also an old cesspit/tank down there as well which is used currently as a soakaway which would have to be removed.  We'd have to get a digger in - not a biggie but I am not sure we can be bothered for all that.   

Oh, and we're going to have the garden landscaped/new fences/shed rebuild so it's all sort of out of sync - we want to collect some water for use now but it'll be winter by the time we're in a position to actually stick in a more professional tank.  So we'd just short circuit the process.   

And of course, our landscaping has been stalled for ages because of the land dispute.  Rumour has it we'll get official permission to move the boundary in about a month.  Yay!

Tomato clips. Like this:

https://www.milkwood.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/how-to-string-climbing-tomatoes13-1024x683.jpg

klsallee wrote:

Tomato clips. Like this:

[img align=c]https://www.milkwood.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/how-to-string-climbing-tomatoes13-1024x683.jpg[/url]

Reckon that'd be very difficult without Chinese Ebay which is not helpful at all. 

Chinese Ebay has become very unreliable recently.  I've been waiting for some car parts since February. It's about the 3rd or 4th attempt at ordering some plastic bits for trim panels on the car.  I think these bits get stolen each time by the Hungarian post office. 

I tried using cable ties but they go funny in sunlight and break down.  And also one shot and wasteful.

We're using string and sometimes thicker metal wire that can be twisted by hand - pipe cleaners to be exact.  Get them at school books shops.

I'm looking myself for some cheap quick reusable fence clips to secure two wire fence sections together. Needs to put tension on the wire.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Reckon that'd be very difficult without Chinese Ebay which is not helpful at all.

I can order them onine from abroad. But local would be better of course. I am doing a lot of vertical gardening this year and I need to start dropping some vines, especially the cucumbers now, and tomatoes in a few weeks. I should have dealt with finding these earlier of course, and now want to avoid the mail order wait time if I can.

i have some of these clips already (from abroad sources), but need a few hundred more. I have pipe cleaners and other clips, but they do take longer to use. String would take too much time to use.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

I can order them onine from abroad. But local would be better of course. I am doing a lot of vertical gardening this year and I need to start dropping some vines, especially the cucumbers now, and tomatoes in a few weeks. I should have dealt with finding these earlier of course, and now want to avoid the mail order wait time if I can.

i have some of these clips already (from abroad sources), but need a few hundred more. I have pipe cleaners and other clips, but they do take longer to use. String would take too much time to use.

I know the feeling.

I know it's very difficult to avoid mail order these days even for HU sourced stuff.  I'm having to source car spares from Poland and Germany now as may have mentioned before. 

It's just symptomatic of a decline in street based shopping - no-one is maintaining stocks. Everything is "on order".  International delivery is sometimes faster anyway but not from China.  It's becoming ridiculous the amount of stuff lost. 

I ordered spare parts for Mrs Fluffy's laptop and it came from Lithuania - had it in 3 days and job done.

It's a getting to a complete collapse now in other countries with mainstream shops going bust pushed out by Amazon and Ebay.   Happening here too - over priced and over regulated. Death knell for those ignoring home delivery channel/web presence.

fluffy2560 wrote:

It's just symptomatic of a decline in street based shopping - no-one is maintaining stocks. Everything is "on order".

So it seems. I asked constantly last year and this year at local garden shops about grafting tape.  They all refused to get it for me. Literally refused. I had to mail order it. And I even, ironically, ended up ordering it from a Hungarian source. So I was a bit confused why the local store refused to get me some. Sighs..... Customer (non)service at brick and mortar stores in Hungary....

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

It's just symptomatic of a decline in street based shopping - no-one is maintaining stocks. Everything is "on order".

So it seems. I asked constantly last year and this year at local garden shops about grafting tape.  They all refused to get it for me. Literally refused. I had to mail order it. And I even, ironically, ended up ordering it from a Hungarian source. So I was a bit confused why the local store refused to get me some. Sighs..... Customer (non)service at brick and mortar stores in Hungary....

Oh, it's happened to me, not just here but for car spares in Germany.  Idiots will not ship past Austria as Eastern Europe is the Wild East (still) in some people's minds.  So they are now banned as suppliers to me and will be rubbished and slagged off at every opportunity I get  to stick the boot in.   

They could not even be reasoned with offering just irritating and foolish suggestions just guaranteed to get ones hackles up.  Unless they've missed the news, Hungary is not on Mars and it is in the EU.  Another PITA dimwitted people. 

I've had the same in the UK.  Apparently I'm banned by an auto breakers yard from buying stuff.  No idea why.  Probably because they were taking piss on some item and I told them so.  So long ago I've forgotten but they feel like it's worth maintaining a list of satan worshipping evil doers like me.  Mental as they've lost the opportunity to have some of my money.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Oh, it's happened to me, not just here but for car spares in Germany.  Idiots will not ship past Austria as Eastern Europe is the Wild East (still) in some people's minds.

Yes, there is a lot of this "don't ship to Hungary" from western, single market, EU forming, to allow free flow of goods, countries. :(

But there are also a lot of stores in Hungary who refuse to stock items or special order, but the store across the street will. That makes little much sense to me. I grew up in a world where all store owners would want to compete for my business. A concept that does not really exist here, it seems.  :rolleyes:

fluffy2560 wrote:

Apparently I'm banned by an auto breakers yard from buying stuff.  No idea why.

Interesting. That would be illegal in most US states which have consumer protection laws. If one has a retail business, one can not pick and choose customers without a really good reason. Such as the customer is abusive, threatening, has defrauded the business, etc.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Apparently I'm banned by an auto breakers yard from buying stuff.  No idea why.

Interesting. That would be illegal in most US states which have consumer protection laws. If one has a retail business, one can not pick and choose customers without a really good reason. Such as the customer is abusive, threatening, has defrauded the business, etc.

Bit of a parallel here in that it's not illegal in the EU which of course, is not a federal state.

I tried to buy some high performance memory for a computer from a supplier in another EU country and I was refused.  I was told to buy it locally but at a higher price.  Not much I could do about it.  Needless to say, I just got it via another country which I can do but others may not be able.

The US Supreme Court dodged the gay cake issue the other day by endorsing discrimination in spirit if not otherwise.   On the other hand, UK law went the other way.

fluffy2560 wrote:

The US Supreme Court dodged the gay cake issue the other day by endorsing discrimination in spirit if not otherwise.

This was a complicated case. And, based on the actual reasoning in the court's written decision I don't agree that the court actually endorsed discrimination, even if liberals and conies will spin this case in their own particular way that it did or not.

The court decision was 7 to 2. Which is unusual given that two normally "liberal" justices sided with the decision. That is because the decision was actually about promoting non-discrimination by the government. And there was also discrimination was accrued by lower level government officials who made disparaging remarks about the defendant. Ergo, while the plaintiff's rights were violated, so were the defendants. But it was the government employees that violated the defendant's rights. And that was the problem. And the error by these government officials doomed the case under the 14th and 1st amendments. Thus the court made a non-decision on gay rights, and affirmed that governments need to be unbiased in their treatment and rights of all those in all cases.  Ergo, the gay rights issue is not closed. And the decision set no precedents.

This was just a lousy case to start with as a "gay rights" case. And should not have been the one to take to the Supreme court. Similar to the Rosa Parks incident. There were plenty of other incidents before hers, but by design the civil rights people did not take them up because the people involved had "checkered pasts". To win in both the legal court and court of public opinion one needs more than just being morally and ethically correct.

klsallee.....But it was the government employees that violated the defendant's rights. And that was the problem. And the error by these government officials doomed the case under the 14th and 1st amendments. Thus the court made a non-decision on gay rights, and affirmed that governments need to be unbiased in their treatment and rights of all those in all cases.  Ergo, the gay rights issue is not closed. And the decision set no precedents.

This was just a lousy case to start with as a "gay rights" case. And should not have been the one to take to the Supreme court. Similar to the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks wrote:

Rosa Parks[/url] incident. There were plenty of other incidents before hers, but by design the civil rights people did not take them up because the people involved had "checkered pasts". To win in both the legal court and court of public opinion one needs more than just being morally and ethically correct.

Oh sure, I read the details and I get the Rosa Parks parallel.  But I think the SC justices simply dodged it on technicalities or poor phrasing or answering the wrong question. I'd have thought they could have taken a wider view and not deferred.  As it's left it now, it seems that certain rights might be higher than others. 

The judgement in the Northern Ireland case was on the equality issue which has some parallels in the USA (details different, but the arguments close enough).  So yes, perhaps that's it, bring the right case and get the right answer.   For the greater good, equal rights surely(?) must be higher than the protection of individual religious beliefs.

In any case, once people realise the sky isn't falling in and time has passed, public opinion will eventually align even it might be a "shock" result for some.  And to those "shocked", get a life.

Bit like the abortion debate in Ireland - give it a few years and no-one will (want to) remember.

I'm looking for blacksmith's vice (US:vise) , working condition and cheap cheap!

http://theconsummatedabbler.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/leg-vice.jpg

I don't know if you will find one that beautiful that is cheap, but try searching for "Kovács satu" at a site like https://www.jofogas.hu. Here is a direct search link:

https://www.jofogas.hu/magyarorszag?q=Kov%C3%A1cs+satu

Side note: Here is a lovely one, but it is certainly not cheap ( the price : ouch!!!! ):

https://www.jofogas.hu/bekes/Antik_nagy … 512187.htm

klsallee wrote:

I don't know if you will find one that beautiful that is cheap, but try searching for "Kovács satu" at a site like https://www.jofogas.hu. Here is a direct search link:

https://www.jofogas.hu/magyarorszag?q=Kov%C3%A1cs+satu

Side note: Here is a lovely one, but it is certainly not cheap ( the price : ouch!!!! ):

https://www.jofogas.hu/bekes/Antik_nagy … 512187.htm

Yeah, looked on there previously and it was a shocker. Definitely not cheap cheap cheap.   I'm really surprised they are so expensive. 

I definitely don't want "finished" antiques - it will need to be a real working one, not an ornament or for display.

I want to actually use it for holding much larger sized metal pieces while I weld them.  An ordinary vice/vise wouldn't be up to the chunkier sized bits.  Besides I've got three smaller "engineer" ones already.   I don't need one with a leg really as I can just weld it all to a large metal working table I made from bits and pieces.  It'll be outside all year so needs to be chunky and resilient.

I was thinking more like an auction of farm tools or a reseller of second hand blacksmith items.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Definitely not cheap cheap cheap.

Interesting. I thought the ones from 11,000 to 12,000 HUF (about 30-35 EUR) were pretty cheap for a life long tool.

What price range were you looking for?

Have a few of these industrial type vices, in Vegas that is.
Good idea to check online in a HU second hand format in the countryside for a used vice or two.
We have all sorts of odd things in Vegas that we will never use again. Pro plumbers wrenches, nuclear submarine valves, bit of jet fighter dashboard wires...Odd stuff like I said. Also a pair of bright red cowboy boots... E bay here we come.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Definitely not cheap cheap cheap.

Interesting. I thought the ones from 11,000 to 12,000 HUF (about 30-35 EUR) were pretty cheap for a life long tool.

What price range were you looking for?

10K HUF would be OK.  Decent condition with working threads and spring.  I've searched on Ebay in the UK as well and they are in this price range.  Some worn but very serviceable ones.  I want a nice "big" one, not a small one.  I reckon it'd weigh close to 40kg so Pest county best.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Anyone any experience on buying used clean 1000L IBCs as rainwater

Just got a flier in the mail box from "otthon-kert" and they have 1000 liter tanks on sale now for 12,900 HUF. I think they are local only. But if they have them on sale, then others probably do near you too.