Message for tourists and expatriates in Thailand

Below is the message of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) for tourist and expatriates currently living in the Kingdom of Siam.

Following the passing away of His Majesty, King Bhumibol Adulyadej on Thursday, October 13, 2016, Thailand has officially declared a mourning period which will last one year.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand wishes that all foreign nationals traveling to the country do so normally. However, they will have to comply with some regulations during this painful period.

- Many Thai people will be dressed in black or white as a sign of mourning. Tourists are not required to wear the same. However, they should try, as far as possible, to wear dark colored outfits in public.

- Tourists have to avoid all types of inappropriate or disrespectful behaviors.

- All tourist attractions will be open, as usual, Wat Phra Kaew (the Temple of the Emerald Buddha) and the Grand Palace where the Royal funeral will take place.

- The Government has asked owners of certain entertainment venues, such as bars and discotheques, to kindly cooperate regarding their opening hours for a period of 30 days at least. The decision is up to each owner.

- Most traditional and cultural events will be held, although celebrations are likely to be modified or dedicated to the memory of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, as a sign of respect.

- All transport, banks, hospitals and other public services will be operating normally.

- Thai authorities have strengthened security and safety measures for all Thai nationals and visitors so as to facilitate their travel across the country.

- For more information, contact the TAT at 1672.

Source: http://www.tatnews.org/recommendations- … adulyadej/

Thank you for that informative and useful post.

It's a very good idea for tourists to respect the Thai period of mourning, but absolutely essential for expats to make a point of doing so.

I am going to travel to Thailand in one month eaxctly. The mourning periode is one year. I am a little considered regarding to the entertainment venues, such as bars and discotheques. Is there any issues about inappropriate behaviors inside the bars or outside in the streets after the first 30 days of mourning periode is over?
kind regards
Sam

After the first 30-days, most things will return to "normal". 

Civil servants - and many others - will still be wearing funeral colors, but largely the kingdom will return to normal activities after the first 30-days.

Having said that...be extremely careful not to criticize the mourning or mourners or in any way make a disparaging comment about the situation or the royal family.

This is an especially sensitive time.

Just behave as you would at home in your parents house and dont become obnoxious  after a few drinks
I have been here for several years and I do not hang around in bars and places I consider dumps and have never had any trouble in this lovely country.
The Thais are not really concerned if you behave normally.
Respect their customs and read about this on the internet
Barry