Question regarding getting a Vietnamese passport

what documentation is needed for a Vietnamese to get a passport ?

I asked myself that since 25 years. There are some lawyers who offer this service for 6.000 USD. I personally do not believe any offers like that.

For a Vietnamese?

I got my passport on 2012,
only my ID and family's residence book,
with few passport-sized photos (either 2 or 6, I don't rememer exactly)
I paid 200,000 VND and waited for 2 weeks.

thank you Meo man , What is a family resident book ?

divedog49 wrote:

thank you Meo man , What is a family resident book ?

This book in Vietnamese is "sổ hộ khẩu"

MeoMun, What does a  resident book list or what information is in it ? Is it necessary to have it to get passport?

The house book is part of a system originally devised in Imperial China over 3000 years ago for control of the population.  Everyone is registered in the family hometown.  Unlike China, Vietnam allows people to work and reside "temporarily" in the major cites and even reestablish new permanent residency.  Most people will not establish a new ho khau unless they own a home and simply remain registered on their parents book if they are renters in the cities.  As I said, the purpose is control of the citizenry.  Basically, the government (party) wants to know where everyone is.  I don't even know if a foreigner can be registered in a ho khau but why would you want to be?   If you are a Viet Kieu and want to establish dual citizenship, that issue has been covered extensively on other threads.

If the applicant is an adult get the application and photo attested, signed and sealed from the current residential ward police station then submit it along with the Family book and National ID.
If the applicant's permanent address and current address different, they should do the above attestation from the ward police of the permanent residence (address in ID cad) first, then from the current (temporary) ward police station.

If the applicant is a  child, the ID card replaces with  birth certificate.

* If you need a separate family book (for Vietnamese), the authority may allow after 18 years of old.

divedog49 wrote:

MeoMun, What does a  resident book list or what information is in it ? Is it necessary to have it to get passport?

Hi divedog49,

Family resident book include:

+ address of house/home
+ home/house owner/leader (in my case - my Mom, many other cases - the father)
+ members in the family and relationship with the owner
the members can be grandchildren/niece/nephew of the owner
(in case children's parents passed away ...)

And it IS necessary to have it to get passport (at least for me)