LOOKING FOR SOME REAL HUMAN INTERACTION!!! LEAP OF FAITH

Hello everyone,

I am from Canada, a special needs Teacher who transitioned to Mediation after a major injury. I am exploring the possibility of moving to Dominican Republic before making any major move, I would like to know how is life in Dominican Republic for a single female?  Five years ago, I moved from Manitoba to Ottawa, ON and it has been very challenging on all levels, very hard to make deep connections with people in Ottawa, I don't feel at home and I am very unhappy.  What is the cost of living in Dominican Republic for a single person?

No fault on my own, I try to make friends, I am a very outgoing, laid back person with a very big heart, kind, but my experience hasn't been great people took advantage of my goodness. I am very unhappy, and would like to move somewhere I can use my knowledge, and experience at service of others where I would be appreciated, and valued. I am looking for opportunities in NGO's organizations, language schools and life coaching. I would be very grateful for any suggestions, and good tips that I can find from either locals, or expats I am looking forward to hearing from anyone with some great information.  Thank you

Haha, that's not a simple question to answer. It depends on your personal situation. Here in Las Terrenas, we have a growing group of North American expats. All are excited to be here, and are a fun group to hang with.

As far as deep connections, that is possible, but more likely with expats. I got very lucky in meeting a Dominican woman with interests common to mine.

As for a cost of living, having income in the mid-teens(USD) is do-able, north of 2k/month is fine. I retired with a 700-1000 per month budget. My circumstances have changed dramatically for the better since then, though. So many of the the things we think are necessary, like a car, are not here.

Welcome to the forums. I am a single woman, been here over 13 years. I will be very honest with you - looking to make meaningful connections here - happens but it takes time!

Goodness will be taken advantage of here if you don't develop very strong boundaries!

Service to others is needed here but not often appreciated but do it anyway.  Life coaching - people are mostly in survival mode, not sure about this one.  Good quality teaching - absolutely. Language teachers - absolutely.

The only way you will start to figure out of this is for you - come down for several months and get a feel for it!

Welcome.
  As planner said come and visit for a few months and see if it works for you.
Making deep connections here are the same as anywhere else.  You have to work at it.

Bob K

There is an Canadian NGO called "Free the Children". They are very active in the DR.

They recruit kids 12-18 years old and send groups of 10-20 kids to the DR where they work under adult supervision on social projects

One project I know about well is in the Puerto Plata area. They built a school for Haitians in an area where the DR government is not willing to do it (because they Haitian families are in the DR illegally).

You may be the kind of person that they need to manage the kids. Some of the supervisors an chaperons of Free the Children live in the DR.

Just an idea on how to get out of Canada and do something worthwhile.

Good luck

Walter

Good evening Dan,

Thank you for responding to my question.  I have the same skin complexion than your partner, I know it's very different for men than women.  I am single, and have been for the last seven years because I went back to school, at that time,  my priority was my schooling.  since I could no longer continue working with special needs kids after my head injury.  Are you American or Canadian?  What brought you to Dominican Republic beside the beautiful weather and your lovely partner? you told me that you met her while you were in Dominican Republic, have a wonderful evening.

Good evening Walter,

Thank you for the tip regarding "Save The Children" I already looked into this organization, in North America usually, the NGOs are for kids from 16 -21 years of age who wants to travel abroad, have that on their resume, and they have to pay for their trip we talking about between $5000,00 to $7000,00.  Nowadays, in Canada this is a big business for these organizations.

Good evening

the organization I am talking about is called Free the Children. It was founded by a 12 year old
Canadian boy who read about a 12 year old boy in India that was a slave worker on a garbage dump in Calcutta. The boy was killed by his slave master because he objected to the way he was treated.

here are some details

WE Charity
Nonprofit organization
WE Charity, formerly known as Free The Children, is a worldwide development charity and youth empowerment movement founded in 1995 by human rights advocates Craig Kielburger and Marc Kielburger. Wikipedia
Founded: 1995
Headquarters: Toronto, Canada
Founders: Craig Kielburger, Marc Kielburger
Leaders: Craig Kielburger, Marc Kielburger
Nominations: Shorty Industry Award for Best in Food and Beverage

regards

Walter