American with visa question

Hi everyone,

I'm an American who got a job working for a private school by the name of SMART in Medellin. I start next month! I actually want to go to Colombia before I start though. So in that case, 8/ it possible to apply for a work visa within Colombia? Or do I have to leave the country, and then enter again? I would do the whole process here in New York, but the company is yet to send me the information for applying for the visa.

Thanks everyone.

An attorney in Medellin told me that it's VERY easy to get a business visa in Colombia to do whatever you wish with your visit.

Write an email to Alan Gongora in Medellin. He's very nice and likely won't charge you anything (in my personal experience) for asking an immigration question. He speaks English and went to Harvard law. Great fellow.

[email protected]

He'll write you back.

The best to you.

Hey, Heyy Zuz of Poughkeepsie, New York.  Welcome to the Colombia forum.

Don't do the visa thing until you get advised about it by your employer in Colombia.

You can tell them what you told us -- that's you're eager to get here.

They may have a streamlined document-program that provides you with an approvable contract or other papaleo.

----

Holy sh&te, Brandon, you found us a Harvard-educated lawyer here in Medellín! 

Good job. :top:

You bet I'll email him pronto with my question about taxes and immigration.

I see he's a managing partner at his law firm, got a J.D. from Harvard in ‘03.

cccmedia from Medellín

Typical visa is 90 days that can be extended to 180 days for tourism.  I am sure you can get a work visa.  I am applying for a marriage visa (Colombian Wife) that is good for 2 years

BrandonBP wrote:

An attorney in Medellin told me that it's VERY easy to get a business visa in Colombia to do whatever you wish with your visit.

Write an email to Alan Gongora in Medellin. He's very nice and likely won't charge you anything (in my personal experience) for asking an immigration question. He speaks English and went to Harvard law. Great fellow.

[email protected]

Alan Gongora of Langon Law  did respond to an email I sent .. and even forwarded a gratis tax-opinion from a COL accountant .. on whether I would be tax-liable if moving to Colombia.

Alan's firm obtained a TP-7 visa approval for me several days ago .. and he is successfully handling another project for me.

Good recommendation, Brandon. :top:

cccmedia in La Zona Cafetera

cccmedia wrote:
BrandonBP wrote:

[email protected]

Alan Gongora of Langon Law  did respond to an email I sent .. and even forwarded a gratis tax-opinion from a COL accountant .. on whether I would be tax-liable if moving to Colombia.

Alan's firm obtained a TP-7 visa approval for me several days ago .. and he is successfully handling another project for me.

Good recommendation, Brandon. :top:

cccmedia in La Zona Cafetera

That guy is really cool. I'm not a huge fan of attorneys (I damn near married one).

But Alan is top notch. He's honest and he will help you out without gouging you. If you need something simple answered, write him an email. He'll help you. Very good guy.