Locals happy to mingle with expats?

Hi-

I am considering a move to Edinburgh in 2011.  I visited in the summer of '10 and met so many awesome and friendly locals- but I've been reading some other posts here and it sounds like some expats are having a hard time meeting people and making friends.  Wondering if anyone wants to share their experience on the issue-

I bet a lot of it has to do with personality type, interests, work. school, and involvement in group activities. I would love to hear specific things that have helps other expats reach out to others and make friends in Edinburgh. And maybe also some things to avoid.

Thanks!

Welcome on board RianneK ;)

Hi Rianne

Yes - it's a real shame that some seem to be having a harder time than others to get to know us Scots. We are a very friendly bunch however and great hospitality is very much part of our make up. I'm certain that if you continue to pursue your hobbies and interests over here and join like-minded folk you will not have any trouble making friends. You really will get out what you put in.

Hope you have a fantastic time when you come to Scotland. My biggest tip, if you haven't already done so, is to visit the Outer Hebrides - North/south Uist, Harris, Berneray, Jura etc. They are some of the most spectacular and beautiful islands in the world and very different to the Scottish Mainland. I personally would rate the beaches on these islands as being the best in the world and more often than not - you've got them all to yourself. You may even see an Otter or Eagle or two!

Best wishes with your move here

David

Hi there

I think difficulty in making friends is a common thread on many expat forums, regardless of country.

One of the main things to remember is living in a new country is completely different from visiting on a holiday basis.  Once the commitment is made, there is the pressure of integrating into a new work system, budgeting for the cost of daily living as well as planning for the future, coping with the weather etc.

And - you will be living in a totally different culture and will have to adapt.  Much easier said than done - I promise you. 

For example, I moved to NZ a few years ago.  Like many immigrants I believed moving to an English speaking country that was settled mostly by europeans, would be just like home except with better weather.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  But you do not realise that until you live and work here. 

So you might find the same when moving to Scotland. 

As an immigrant myself, the best advice I can give is to think very carefully before you speak - never say we did this better in my country - in fact never make a comparison to anything from your home country (tall poppy syndrome exists in Scotland too although not as much as here).

From a scottish perspective, never talk politics or religion, never stare at drunk people lol, and learn about football and scottish rugby. 

Just out of interest, what are your hobbies and interests.  My son and his fiance live in Edinburgh and might be able to give you a few pointers depending on your age and interests.

I wish you luck in your move. :)

Thank you both for the tips. It seems like a combo of common sense, good manners and "being yourself" is the key.

My hubby and I are both in our early 30s. I love cooking (although I am vegetarian), photography, hiking, knitting, travel, and all things animals- especially my own!

My guy plays music, and loves sports. He is also a little too excited to be moving to the land of Scotch!

We're both up to trying new things and meeting new people- so if your son & daughter-in -law (or anyone else) might want to connect once we get to Edinburgh, please email us at matthewandrianne(at)yahoo(dot)com

And maybe we'll have a friend or two before we even get there!

Hi again

Thank goodness for email notifications of posts as I have not been on the forum for a while.  Too busy trying to find a way out of where I am and back to Scotland.

Having re-read the thread again, I wanted to add that my son tells me, (having recently returned after 4 years here in NZ), that Edinburgh has changed enormously.  Not so much in the infrastructure, but in the character of the people.  In other words, he felt the local scots had been hugely diluted in population to the point that Edinburgh could now be compared to larger cities in terms of cultural diversity.

The other thing he found was that due to the high rate of unemployment, the jobs he was offered were at a salary he was earning 12 years ago. Many employers can now pick and choose in today's economic climate, and skills and experience come second to financial outlay for many companies.

He too loves travel (always off somewhere on cheap flights to Europe so lots of tips there), cooking, and was a hillwalker.  He is also a huge animal lover.....but he does not knit.:lol:  ( he does appreciate a good whisky though) :rolleyes:

I will ask him to contact you at your email address.

I hope you enjoy your time in Scotland. :)

Hi , just wonering if you ever made it to Scotland.
Cheers

aye!

Hi Boetiesemoer,

Loving the " aye " post but please note that this thread is quite old 2011 :)

Feel free to start a new topic with any of your questions on the Edinburgh Forum for better interaction please

Thank you

Maximilien