Teach ESL

Hi all,

I am considering teaching ESL in China. This is a big move for me, living in Canada and making an adjustment to a new country.

What is the racial climate like for ESL teachers that have darker complexions (I'm black) in high school or university?

Thanks.

The race issue is something to deal with daily, at varying degrees, for all foreigners here.
Although the opportunities are less for non-whites, there are still plenty that remain. Especially if you're well qualified and experienced.
I have a number of black friends living and teaching in Shanghai. Some have been here over ten years, and they're quite happy.

Tim Moore wrote:

The race issue is something to deal with daily, at varying degrees, for all foreigners here.
Although the opportunities are less for non-whites, there are still plenty that remain. Especially if you're well qualified and experienced.
I have a number of black friends living and teaching in Shanghai. Some have been here over ten years, and they're quite happy.

Awesome, thanks Tim. It's good to know that you're black friends have had a positive experience. I don't want to ask unrelated questions in this thread, could I message you if it is okay to ask about the overall air quality from your experience?

Pollution is a major problem everywhere in China. At the moment, the Air Quality Index in Shanghai is relatively low at 82. That's a measurement of PM2.5 particles. It's low now because there's a G20 summit to be held in a few days. When that's over, it will go back up to 150-200, normally. I've seen it go as high as 700, or 800 in Shanghai.
Beijing is considerably more polluted on a daily basis.
It's common for people to wear 3M face masks to filter out the PM 2.5 as much as possible.

Tim Moore wrote:

Pollution is a major problem everywhere in China. At the moment, the Air Quality Index in Shanghai is relatively low at 82. That's a measurement of PM2.5 particles. It's low now because there's a G20 summit to be held in a few days. When that's over, it will go back up to 150-200, normally. I've seen it go as high as 700, or 800 in Shanghai.
Beijing is considerably more polluted on a daily basis.
It's common for people to wear 3M face masks to filter out the PM 2.5 as much as possible.

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks a lot for answering.

Hi.

You posed an excellent question that certainly needs a reply.

First, have you read the latest requirements as posted by the Chinese government regarding teaching of any kind in China?  The rules are lengthy, and are so filled with fact and innuendo it's oftentimes difficult to know what they mean.

Have you been offered an ESL teaching position by a university, college, or training centre?  If so, they are sure to know what the local government constitutes as a qualified teacher, as well as the rules and regulations regarding your papers to live and work on the mainland.

They would also be able to advise you as to whether being black will be a detriment to your success in obtaining the necessary working papers, etc.

Do not, under any circumstances come here as a tourist and then try to find work.  If discovered, you could be jailed, fined and then deported.  In that case, the Canadian government has no ability to rescue you.   The Chinese government is cracking down on illegals teaching here.

If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

David

fdawei wrote:

Hi.

You posed an excellent question that certainly needs a reply.

First, have you read the latest requirements as posted by the Chinese government regarding teaching of any kind in China?  The rules are lengthy, and are so filled with fact and innuendo it's oftentimes difficult to know what they mean.

Have you been offered an ESL teaching position by a university, college, or training centre?  If so, they are sure to know what the local government constitutes as a qualified teacher, as well as the rules and regulations regarding your papers to live and work on the mainland.

They would also be able to advise you as to whether being black will be a detriment to your success in obtaining the necessary working papers, etc.

Do not, under any circumstances come here as a tourist and then try to find work.  If discovered, you could be jailed, fined and then deported.  In that case, the Canadian government has no ability to rescue you.   The Chinese government is cracking down on illegals teaching here.

If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

David

No, I don't plan on visiting as a tourist and look for work. I live in Canada, and have been working with a recruiter for ESL teachers there and they support in the completion of visa application beforehand. Thanks though for bringing up very important points, that are valuable to know.

I was going to ask, if there is an ESL teacher who has worked in China or is presently working there, who would be open to answering a few more questions that I have. That would be helpful. I can direct message them. Thanks.

If I can be of any help, please let me know.

David

Awesome. I have discovered a place called Yantai. From what you know, is the air quality better there?

Generally speaking, I was wanting to know about the frequency of natural disasters, such as tsunamis and crime.

ESL teachers - Do new hires start at the same times, or do school hires year round? I thought it would be easier to integrate, when starting with other teachers who are new too.

Thanks again for being very helpful!

Hello friend
I am at Egypt
I want learning Chinese language

Thanks

Regards
Ahmad

The only advise I would offer is to find a local Chinese teacher.  I'm sure there must be Chinese schools in Egypt, especially in Cairo.

Good luck.

Halo. I'm Dereck from Zimbabwe. I was wondering if you could assist me with information on where I can look for a job as an English teacher. I've been having difficulty getting any responses from all the places I've applied to or they say they want native English speakers only.

Hello Dereck.  The criteria for English teachers has changed dramatically.  Perhaps that is one of the reasons no one is replying to you.

To be an English teacher in China you must now possess the following:
1. Be from a country where English is the native tongue:  Canada, USA, UK, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
2. Have graduated with a least a bachelor's degree from a recognized university
3. Have TESOL, ESL, TEFL, certification from a recognized testing agency
4. Have a clean police record from your country of  birth and oftentimes from other countries where you may have lived prior to coming to China
5. Have two years of teaching experience with documented proof of your ability to plan lessons, teach, and coach students

I hope that answers your question.  There are other criteria, but the ones listed are the key factors to determine who can teach here.

Regards,

David

African Expats Abandon Guangzhou Because of Xenophobia
Yiwu, Zhejiang the next "Chocolate City"
Charles Liu, August 25, 2016 9:52am
Guangzhou has long served as the largest enclave of African expats in Asia, but where once thrived a bustling community of traders has now dwindled in numbers due to such factors as strict government policies, a sluggish economy, and rife xenophobia among local residents.
See Also: Slowing Economy and Discrimination Puts Brakes on African Immigration to Guangzhou
As of June 25, government data showed there are just 11,000 African expats registered to the public security bureau in Guangzhou, 6,000 fewer than two years ago. However, many of the Africans that have made a living trading commodities there now say they can't anymore due to higher production costs. Chinese factories are relocating to southeast Asia, thereby making factory floor deals even more difficult to seal in Guangzhou.
Caixin Magazine has interviewed a number of African expats who say they feel unwelcome in Guangzhou due to discrimination and xenophobia.
“I like everything here, except when Chinese people cover their noses and mouths with their hands when they pass by me,” says Radhy, student from Tanzania. “I want to rush home when they point at me, as if they were judging.”
Shirley, a French tutor from the Ivory Coast, said she has no reason to stay in China. “I don't like it when Chinese people look at me as if looking at an animal, just because of my dark skin. My work visa is going to expire soon. I am moving back to my home country,” she said.
See Also: African Expats Fight to Stay in Guangzhou as Policies Tighten
“I like the weather and people here. But I don't like the expressions of some Chinese people when they look at and talk to us. It upsets me,” says Emma from Cameroon, a deputy manager who works in Shenzhen.
Discrimination against Africans in Guangzhou appears to be deeply rooted. A 2009 study by Sun Yat-Sen University found that three out of four white-collar workers and students in Guangzhou said they don't want to associate with African migrants despite only having limited interaction with them.
Long-time Guangzhou resident Serges de la Roche said he once had to wait three hours for a cab after buying a computer because no Chinese was willing to stop for him. “At the time, I didn't think anything bad of it. I knew I had to come here to do something, and that's why these things don't matter,” said de la Roche.
But if you're not in the commodities business, you may have a very difficult time finding a job in Guangzhou if you hail from Africa. “It is so hard to find a job in Guangzhou. I might just go back to my home country if I can't find one soon,” said Vikan, a student from Ivory Coast.
See Also: Guangzhou Home to Largest African Expat Population in Asia, Many Illegal

Traveller61 wrote:

I was going to ask, if there is an ESL teacher who has worked in China or is presently working there, who would be open to answering a few more questions that I have. That would be helpful. I can direct message them. Thanks.

Hi there. As I'm sure you know by now, there are so many factors to take into consideration before you begin your journey in teaching English in China. From the Visas, to the the credibility of the employer, things you need to confirm with potential employers, as well as cultural differences of the regions in China. There are also huge differences in the types of institutions you're looking to teach at. For a concise, easy to use guide, check out:  blog.movinhand.com/work-abroad/teaching-english-in-china. It has everything you need to know, and you can connect with them for any sort of query you have. Safe travels!

Dmitry

Hi, thanks for the information, I wasn't aware of that site. I am definitely going to check it out. During the last few months, I've done quite a bit of research into the requirements to teach there...It's still an option I'm considering. Thanks again!

Hainan Island has the best air quality in China.

It isn't even half as bad as in North America.....you will
feel much better in china than anywhere in Canada or the USA.

You can get a work visa as a teacher up to age 65.