Absolutely Anything Else

@Bian_ca6661
Why don't you come down to Balatonalmadi? Kaptalanfured beach is really nice. There is always parking.
My husband was never a lake beach goer, since he always lived by the ocean. After 6 years of being here, last week we went for a swim. It was so nice!
If you decide to come, let us know, we can show you around.
The ice cream is outstanding in the center of town 😊
Livia, Jeff
1f914.svg1f914.svg - @Bian_ca6661

It's hard to see how the policies of OV are sustainable in these difficult times.  Xenophobia and nationalism is a luxury that has to be paid for.
@Bian_ca6661
Why don't you come down to Balatonalmadi? Kaptalanfured beach is really nice. There is always parking.
My husband was never a lake beach goer, since he always lived by the ocean. After 6 years of being here, last week we went for a swim. It was so nice!
If you decide to come, let us know, we can show you around.
The ice cream is outstanding in the center of town 😊
Livia, Jeff
- @Livia Kretsch

That's so sweet of you. I've heard the legends about the ice cream over there 1f60b.svg
It's hard to see how the policies of OV are sustainable in these difficult times.  Xenophobia and nationalism is a luxury that has to be paid for.
- @fluffy2560

I don't know about the winters in Hungary, I'm yet to experience it 1st hand. In case of low humidity and the temp around 20°C, I think the "not heating every class" could make some sense. I can only assume by my experience - if the air is humid in the wintertime it all feels dump and much colder. But what do I know
- @fluffy2560

I don't know about the winters in Hungary, I'm yet to experience it 1st hand. In case of low humidity and the temp around 20°C, I think the "not heating every class" could make some sense. I can only assume by my experience - if the air is humid in the wintertime it all feels dump and much colder. But what do I know
- @Bian_ca6661

UK has the concept of "inside coats" now. Kids will be wearing coats inside at home and at school.

Hungary has plenty of geothermal energy so it could use that more to heat public buildings.

Humidity here in winter is usually low and it can be surprisingly dry. It can be so cold, the water in the air freezes out.

UK has the concept of "inside coats" now. Kids will be wearing coats inside at home and at school.

- @fluffy2560
Why is that??

- @fluffy2560
Why is that??
- @Bian_ca6661
Fuel costs too high to put the heating on while at home. Hence the idea of a coat to wear inside the house and a coat to wear outside.  It seems to be a developing idea.

In Hungary, if they close the schools and do home learning, the fuel cost will be on the parents. It's not clear to me how this will work when parents are working!
I had not noticed but we have passed the..........

https://cdn.dribbble.com/users/1201766/screenshots/3660046/7kgifdribble.gif

Quite a few new members posting, so thank you, its great to hear new stories and walks of life from others. 

- @fluffy2560
Why is that??
- @Bian_ca6661
Fuel costs too high to put the heating on while at home. Hence the idea of a coat to wear inside the house and a coat to wear outside.  It seems to be a developing idea.

In Hungary, if they close the schools and do home learning, the fuel cost will be on the parents. It's not clear to me how this will work when parents are working!
- @fluffy2560

My Father inlaw is having to sell his car because he simply can not afford to run it and with the added costs of energy prices on the house.

His rent is very cheap which is a blessing as he has been in the house 50 years. But it's really a sad world we live in when a pensioner has to face this.

I dread the moment he will have to decide to move to a flat. You can imagine a house with 3 floors and the amount of stuff he has acquired.

The cellar has 4 or 5 rooms, mostly housing tools for different things, Woodwork, metalwork, his music room etc...

The ground floor has 2 reception rooms dining room and a kitchen, then the 1st floor with 3 bedrooms. I hate to think about what is in the loft?

Coming to think about it, as much as the UK is in dire straights my dad is so very lucky in that he owns his own house and has a car that's on lease which payments are very low and has servicing included for free. Although at the age of 81 he still has his company and has interests with other things he can put petrol through the books.

He was very wise to put solar panels on the house and paid for them outright as effectively his electricity is free and gets money back because it is pumped back into the grid so that goes towards the gas. He lives in a 3 bedroom Bungalow so doesn't take much to look after. He is also invested well throughout his life with shares and different pensions. Also inheriting from somewhat wealthy relatives. An uncle that never married and lived in the family house that he was born in.

https://www.thek6project.co.uk/k6/wp-content/gallery/abthorpe-nn12-8qn/DSC_0705.JPG

And on my mother's side who were farmers that never passed the farm on, split 3 ways had a comfortable settlement.
My Father inlaw is having to sell his car because he simply can not afford to run it and with the added costs of energy prices on the house.

His rent is very cheap which is a blessing as he has been in the house 50 years. But it's really a sad world we live in when a pensioner has to face this.

I dread the moment he will have to decide to move to a flat. You can imagine a house with 3 floors and the amount of stuff he has acquired.

The cellar has 4 or 5 rooms, mostly housing tools for different things, Woodwork, metalwork, his music room etc...

The ground floor has 2 reception rooms dining room and a kitchen, then the 1st floor with 3 bedrooms. I hate to think about what is in the loft?

Coming to think about it, as much as the UK is in dire straights my dad is so very lucky in that he owns his own house and has a car that's on lease which payments are very low and has servicing included for free. Although at the age of 81 he still has his company and has interests with other things he can put petrol through the books.

He was very wise to put solar panels on the house and paid for them outright as effectively his electricity is free and gets money back because it is pumped back into the grid so that goes towards the gas. He lives in a 3 bedroom Bungalow so doesn't take much to look after. He is also invested well throughout his life with shares and different pensions. Also inheriting from somewhat wealthy relatives. An uncle that never married and lived in the family house that he was born in.

DSC_0705.JPG

And on my mother's side who were farmers that never passed the farm on, split 3 ways had a comfortable settlement.
- @SimCityAT

The house is absolutely gorgeous. Nothing says England as this type of houses. I'd be devastated myself having to move from such house to a flat. It must be even harder on older people who spent their lives in there. I know how much my parents are attached to their house that they built brick by brick

- @fluffy2560

As I remember the winters in the UK can be pretty damp and chilly, are the coats gonna help??
I still recall a day when I worked in hotel near by London, we had all prepared for a wedding of a sailor soldier, place was fully booked for the weekend. It started to snow heavily in the morning on Saturday, then regular blizzard, the buses stopped running, roads were blocked. Even I haven't seen anything like that, and I grew up under mountains with heavy and cold winters. The bride couldn't get to her groom from town to hotel, he couldn't get to her from hotel to chapel... they had to cancel the ceremony. Got drunk with his army friends instead,  they built a massive snowman in front of reception1f601.svg
But somehow i can't imagine how coats will help. What about gym class?
As for the online classes - We had the issue due to starting C19 when my then coworkers had to stay with their kids at home while educated online. Over half a year I had to replace 3 full workers in logistics. Not funny. Parents were crazy for not working, kids were crazy for no contact with their classmates, employers were crazy for shortage of staff. So i hope they could come up with better solution in the UK and Hungary as well
@Bian_ca6661

My dad's brother did try to buy the house, but was just unable to due to taxes. Such a shame as it dates back to 1600's and was the post office, bakery and other things.

If it was on the property market now, it would be close to 1 million pounds.
As for the online classes - We had the issue due to starting C19 when my then coworkers had to stay with their kids at home while educated online. Over half a year I had to replace 3 full workers in logistics. Not funny. Parents were crazy for not working, kids were crazy for no contact with their classmates, employers were crazy for shortage of staff. So i hope they could come up with better solution in the UK and Hungary as well
- @Bian_ca6661

I'm not really paying that much attention to the UK situation but I heard that's the trend.  I suppose people will be wearing more layers inside the house as temperatures get turned down.  Some reports (on the radio) that people are planning only to put the heating on when the kids are at home.   That means something like 21 C when they are at home and off otherwise.

The situation is more dire than simply going to the gym to keep warm for a few hours.  We're talking about sleeping, living, cooking in colder homes.   We've all heard about food banks but some towns are planning heat/warm banks.  These are going to be spaces which are heated for sharing some level of warmth. I find it incredible such a developed economy  like the UK has to make plans like that.   

The UK is currently a ship drifting with no-one at the helm.  Boris is permanently on holiday and the others are too busy gazing at their own navels while various crises smoulder on in the background.

As for here, there's no obvious plan to cope with huge fuel prices other than to close down schools and reduce public building usage.    Another case of being asleep at the wheel it seems.
- @Bian_ca6661

I'm not really paying that much attention to the UK situation but I heard that's the trend.  I suppose people will be wearing more layers inside the house as temperatures get turned down.  Some reports (on the radio) that people are planning only to put the heating on when the kids are at home.   That means something like 21 C when they are at home and off otherwise.

The situation is more dire than simply going to the gym to keep warm for a few hours.  We're talking about sleeping, living, cooking in colder homes.   We've all heard about food banks but some towns are planning heat/warm banks.  These are going to be spaces which are heated for sharing some level of warmth. I find it incredible such a developed economy  like the UK has to make plans like that.   

The UK is currently a ship drifting with no-one at the helm.  Boris is permanently on holiday and the others are too busy gazing at their own navels while various crises smoulder on in the background.

As for here, there's no obvious plan to cope with huge fuel prices other than to close down schools and reduce public building usage.    Another case of being asleep at the wheel it seems.
- @fluffy2560

Must admit I haven't heard about this indoor coat phenomenon in the UK; that said, when it's cold, I tend to put a jumper on rather than the heating, however, I tend to wear jumpers indoors that are past their sell-by date as far as Mrs C is concerned, but I'm pretty certain they still provide their primary function.  I think the only time I've ever worn a coat indoors was when I was doing my Artic warfare training many years ago (and that was inside a snow hole).
Must admit I haven't heard about this indoor coat phenomenon in the UK; that said, when it's cold, I tend to put a jumper on rather than the heating, however, I tend to wear jumpers indoors that are past their sell-by date as far as Mrs C is concerned, but I'm pretty certain they still provide their primary function.  I think the only time I've ever worn a coat indoors was when I was doing my Artic warfare training many years ago (and that was inside a snow hole).
- @Cynic

Yes, I heard this indoor coat thing on LBC radio.    These are people on the margins, like single parents with kids and on minimum wage jobs.

I put on a fleece or hoodie inside but we're hopeless at trying to manage our energy usage and our crazy and unnecessary recycling problems.  Our plastics bin is full up and overflowing by the time it's collection time.  It's all plastic bottles.   I am trying to encourage fewer bottles but it's not working.   Our lad never  turns the lights off - it's starting to be a problem telling him to separate his rubbish and to switch off.   We do have very high levels of insulation, triple glazing and heat pumps.  Now we're considering solar panels.  So rather than cut back, we're just looking at alternatives to maintain our level of usage.  But we're lucky we can even think about it.  We should be more proactive.

I was at OBI (like B&Q) the other day and about 1.2m3 of chopped  and dried wood was like 120K HUF (~300 EUR) whereas only about a year or so ago it was less than 60K HUF (~150 EUR).    Looks like the only direction on price is up.

I believe firewood here was mainly imported from Ukraine. Government has decided to start chopping more forest - protest report here. It's kind of interesting this is  party political position which OV cannot blame on external parties.  Soros and the EU haven't increased energy prices - his mate Putler has.
DSC_0705.JPG

- @SimCityAT

The house is absolutely gorgeous. Nothing says England as this type of houses. I'd be devastated myself having to move from such house to a flat. It must be even harder on older people who spent their lives in there. I know how much my parents are attached to their house that they built brick by brick
- @Bian_ca6661

Wonderful looking place.

We'd call that a chocolate box house. 

It's a classic picture of a British house suitable to decorate a box of chocolates.

- @SimCityAT

Sounds almost like my MIL's place - cellar area, 3 rooms downstairs, kitchen and bathroom and 3 bedrooms upstairs.  My FIL is one of the dearly departed now and so the  place never gets any maintenance and what with my MIL's stroke and increasing dementia, the house is looking completely redundant and unsuitable for her  needs.  Rooms are unused, ignored and left full of junk - mainly my FIL's rubbish which my MIL has no knowledge off.

It'll take a few konteners (UK: skips) and possibly a few years to shift all the rubbish and junk out of there.   Mrs F is just putting off the inevitable but I can understand that rather than worry about it now,  just think about when the MIL goes and it'll all have to happen then. 

- @fluffy2560

It sounds sad. Seems like there's almost no one unaffected (is that a word?)
Kids have troubles getting to school, parents have issues to provide for kids, seniors must sell their beloved houses... I hope there will be enough psychiatrists in the future
@Bian_ca6661

My dad's brother did try to buy the house, but was just unable to due to taxes. Such a shame as it dates back to 1600's and was the post office, bakery and other things.

If it was on the property market now, it would be close to 1 million pounds.
- @SimCityAT

Such a shame. It must have historical, let alone emotional value. Isn't there any option to rent it and wait for the better times? (Which, hopefully, come again)

Kids have troubles getting to school, parents have issues to provide for kids, seniors must sell their beloved houses... I hope there will be enough psychiatrists in the future
- @Bian_ca6661

Yes, it's horrible and indeed the phrase is that no-one except the rich are unaffected.  Of course they have the means to spend their way through the energy crisis.  They can afford electric cars etc.   

It's more or less always been the case in the UK that older age people have to sell their houses to fund their retirements or their dementia. Usually it ends up with downsizing but on the other hand, some houses are worth substantial amounts.  Not the same here where there is relatively low house price inflation.

Over there in the UK, what I've never understood is why dementia care is not considered an illness which would be taken care of the "free" health care system.  But here is the same, there's no help for dementia or just old age.  They have to go to dormitory style homes paid out of their pensions - depending on their wealth.  In the meantime, until they get too difficult to handle, care falls on their relatives.
- @Cynic

Yes, I heard this indoor coat thing on LBC radio.    These are people on the margins, like single parents with kids and on minimum wage jobs.

I put on a fleece or hoodie inside but we're hopeless at trying to manage our energy usage and our crazy and unnecessary recycling problems.  Our plastics bin is full up and overflowing by the time it's collection time.  It's all plastic bottles.   I am trying to encourage fewer bottles but it's not working.   Our lad never  turns the lights off - it's starting to be a problem telling him to separate his rubbish and to switch off.   We do have very high levels of insulation, triple glazing and heat pumps.  Now we're considering solar panels.  So rather than cut back, we're just looking at alternatives to maintain our level of usage.  But we're lucky we can even think about it.  We should be more proactive.

I was at OBI (like B&Q) the other day and about 1.2m3 of chopped  and dried wood was like 120K HUF (~300 EUR) whereas only about a year or so ago it was less than 60K HUF (~150 EUR).    Looks like the only direction on price is up.

I believe firewood here was mainly imported from Ukraine. Government has decided to start chopping more forest - protest report here. It's kind of interesting this is  party political position which OV cannot blame on external parties.  Soros and the EU haven't increased energy prices - his mate Putler has.
- @fluffy2560

Aha - LBC - yeah, that makes sense.  So people who can't afford to heat their homes can afford to buy new coats for the whole family to wear indoors?  The only place I can find any reference to it is on Mumsnet, where they have also invented the Coatigan (where they have repurposed a coat into a cardigan, and a shawl and jacket into a Shacket) - amazing.  I'll stick to my old jumper with the name allocated by the Mum who matters (bloody old thing - the jumper, not the Mum).

Woodburning has become a burning (he he) issue in the UK, primarily for environmental reasons related to burning wood and we now have less than scrupulous dealers cutting up old furniture and house fittings and selling them as firewood, then people wonder why they are having lung problems when they start burning the old paint and varnish that this wood is soaked in; also people have started their own little wood cuttings businesses, basically just going into the local wood/forest, cutting down a tree and then flogging it without drying it and the PCM figures are going through the roof.  It's so uncertain that my daughter couldn't have a chimney on her new build house.  In London where this is causing big problems, 31% of the PCM found in the air has come from wood-burning stoves; hopefully, they sort it out soon.  Our village is an ex-mining village and all the ex-miners still get free coal, it's causing some fuss as you have miners who want to pass on their free coal to sons/daughters who can't get a chimney added to their house.  Our Aldi has been selling approved wood for some time now - I shall have to take a look and see where it comes from.
Aha - LBC - yeah, that makes sense.  So people who can't afford to heat their homes can afford to buy new coats for the whole family to wear indoors?  The only place I can find any reference to it is on Mumsnet, where they have also invented the Coatigan (where they have repurposed a coat into a cardigan, and a shawl and jacket into a Shacket) - amazing.  I'll stick to my old jumper with the name allocated by the Mum who matters (bloody old thing - the jumper, not the Mum).

Woodburning has become a burning (he he) issue in the UK, primarily for environmental reasons related to burning wood and we now have less than scrupulous dealers cutting up old furniture and house fittings and selling them as firewood, then people wonder why they are having lung problems when they start burning the old paint and varnish that this wood is soaked in; also people have started their own little wood cuttings businesses, basically just going into the local wood/forest, cutting down a tree and then flogging it without drying it and the PCM figures are going through the roof.  It's so uncertain that my daughter couldn't have a chimney on her new build house.  In London where this is causing big problems, 31% of the PCM found in the air has come from wood-burning stoves; hopefully, they sort it out soon.  Our village is an ex-mining village and all the ex-miners still get free coal, it's causing some fuss as you have miners who want to pass on their free coal to sons/daughters who can't get a chimney added to their house.  Our Aldi has been selling approved wood for some time now - I shall have to take a look and see where it comes from.
- @Cynic

PCM = Pollution Climate Modelling?

I know what you mean about LBC but on the other hand, callers aren't edited and say their piece mostly without interference. I didn't know there were coatigans and shackets.   Good to put a name on it.  My eldest recently informed my ponchos are the in thing when swimming.  Looks very comfy after being in the water.

Burning old furniture is a serious problem.  My elderly neighbour is chopping up old pallets which is almost as bad. He's got mental problems and would probably have a panic attack or breakdown if anyone questions him about what he's doing for the environment.  He's cutting them up with a hand saw rather than using a chain saw or an axe.  It might be he's got less chance of hurting himself using a hand saw.

Hereabouts, it's quite easy to collect wood from the forest - it's just lying about.  But then again, it's managed forests and not just waste for the taking.  They leave some of it rotting to maintain the environment for the bugs/animals etc.   They stack up cut wood up for a good two years before taking it away. 

Using freshly cut trees is going to be a problem - all that evaporated sap will eventually set fire to the chimney.  Temperatures won't be high enough to be efficient and all the heat will go into drying out the wood inside the wood burner.   We have  meter (from Aldi) which tells us the water content of wood.  It has different settings for different wood types.

I doubt Aldi wood will come from Ukraine.  Over here of course, Aldi would not be the place to go for wood. it would come by truck or one of the DIY retailers or wood sellers advertising. You used to see adverts to buy like 10 pallets (10 tonnes) of Ukrainian wood with a certain water content.  All gone now, never see it now.  Winter with occasional wood and mainly gas heating used to mean using 4 tonnes. A wood only winter would be probably upwards of 10 tonnes.  Substantial stuff. 

- @Bian_ca6661

Yes, it's horrible and indeed the phrase is that no-one except the rich are unaffected.  Of course they have the means to spend their way through the energy crisis.  They can afford electric cars etc.   

It's more or less always been the case in the UK that older age people have to sell their houses to fund their retirements or their dementia. Usually it ends up with downsizing but on the other hand, some houses are worth substantial amounts.  Not the same here where there is relatively low house price inflation.

Over there in the UK, what I've never understood is why dementia care is not considered an illness which would be taken care of the "free" health care system.  But here is the same, there's no help for dementia or just old age.  They have to go to dormitory style homes paid out of their pensions - depending on their wealth.  In the meantime, until they get too difficult to handle, care falls on their relatives.
- @fluffy2560

It's same system in my homeland. You either care for the sick elderly or place them in the paid "senior house" when they can't be left alone even for 5 minutes. There's way too many seniors to be placed, other options is paid nurse who comes to take care of the senior, but not every family can afford that either and when the condition worsens, the few hours "company" a day doesn't help anyway. It usually ends up with looking for free place in senior house again. And usually their condition deteriorates quickly after being placed in the house. System looks at old people as if they already did their "job" during productive years, and they're not needed anymore. Having parents over 70 y.o., it makes me sad and pissed off at the same time
PCM = Pollution Climate Modelling?

I know what you mean about LBC but on the other hand, callers aren't edited and say their piece mostly without interference. I didn't know there were coatigans and shackets.   Good to put a name on it.  My eldest recently informed my ponchos are the in thing when swimming.  Looks very comfy after being in the water.

Burning old furniture is a serious problem.  My elderly neighbour is chopping up old pallets which is almost as bad. He's got mental problems and would probably have a panic attack or breakdown if anyone questions him about what he's doing for the environment.  He's cutting them up with a hand saw rather than using a chain saw or an axe.  It might be he's got less chance of hurting himself using a hand saw.

Hereabouts, it's quite easy to collect wood from the forest - it's just lying about.  But then again, it's managed forests and not just waste for the taking.  They leave some of it rotting to maintain the environment for the bugs/animals etc.   They stack up cut wood up for a good two years before taking it away. 

Using freshly cut trees is going to be a problem - all that evaporated sap will eventually set fire to the chimney.  Temperatures won't be high enough to be efficient and all the heat will go into drying out the wood inside the wood burner.   We have  meter (from Aldi) which tells us the water content of wood.  It has different settings for different wood types.

I doubt Aldi wood will come from Ukraine.  Over here of course, Aldi would not be the place to go for wood. it would come by truck or one of the DIY retailers or wood sellers advertising. You used to see adverts to buy like 10 pallets (10 tonnes) of Ukrainian wood with a certain water content.  All gone now, never see it now.  Winter with occasional wood and mainly gas heating used to mean using 4 tonnes. A wood only winter would be probably upwards of 10 tonnes.  Substantial stuff. 
- @fluffy2560

My issue with LBC is primarily they seem to have lost the reason why we broadcast, that being to entertain and inform people and that output should be balanced, LBC is not balanced, it's opinionated - they admit this themselves, they don't pretend to be a news station, so there is no attempt to qualify or quantify what is being said, so its opinions are at best questionable and cannot be regarded as being factual.  People tend to like the presenters or subjects that agree with their politics.  Knowing all this, I don't waste my limited time trying to sort out the wheat from the chaff.  I do listen to their oldies station (Gold Radio) for music without the jockey.  For news, I listen to Deutsche Welle and NOS, the former broadcast in English where you live (link).

PCM - Particulate matter, I'm probably wrong to include C (carbon) in this example, old (bad) habits from writing papers on diesel fuel emissions; more properly described as PM2.5 (the number is directly related to the size of the harmful particle); PM2.5 is also an issue with car brakes and tyres - the dust they create being below 2.5, so harmful to human lungs (among other things).  Wet wood and some other treated items (i.e. pallets treated with Methyl Bromide) are bad for PM2.5 and cause human diseases;  Wood is only carbon neutral, so environmentally friendly, if it comes from a renewable source (i.e. the logic being that another tree was planted to replace that which is being burnt, the new tree would then be able to absorb the CO2 generated when the old one was burnt).  I was involved in a Biomass incinerator project when I worked for Yorkshire Water; we used to ship trainloads of hazelwood chips from the USA - hazelwood was chosen because apart from its good burning characteristics, it is relatively fast to grow (40/60cm p/year); so could easily be regarded as environmentally friendly and more important in this Regulated world, could be proven by process and audit, that said, I recall people conveniently forgetting the environmental impact of transporting this stuff halfway around the world.  We tried growing it locally (Suffolk), but they still seem to import the American stuff; there are trainloads arriving from Liverpool docks every day.

Warm clothing - indoors I wear a jumper, when I go out I still have a Barbour Jacket that I wore in the military; if you maintain them, they can last a lifetime; I still use it when out walking the dog; it keeps me warm, is water and windproof.  I still have the hood, a cap and leggings it came with, I rarely wear those.  In the car, I wear a fleece.
I like LBC, especially James...

In other news, I have a question for anyone following the UK PM contest.
A few weeks ago when there was a field of 5+ candidates, Sunak was the leader by a good margin.  I've seen excerpts of a couple of the debates and he seems very knowledgeable and polished. Liz Truss seemed at best unsure of her facts and at best delusional at times.

However, I see Truss now has a commanding lead.
Why?
What happened?

A few weeks ago when there was a field of 5+ candidates, Sunak was the leader by a good margin.  I've seen excerpts of a couple of the debates and he seems very knowledgeable and polished. Liz Truss seemed at best unsure of her facts and at best delusional at times.

Why?
What happened?
- @Vicces1

Sunak was only ever in the lead amongst the Parliamentary group of Conservative MP's; but they don't have the final say, this is in the hands of the Conservative Party members; they have never seemed to support Sunak.

To add - I just read elsewhere that there is a secret group of overseas Conservative party members who will ride in and save the day for Sunak.  Were that to happen, I suspect that would be the end of the Conservative party as we know it.
@Bian_ca6661
You are right!
My spouse got a day off today so we went to swimming pool near by our place. It was bit crowded in the hot pools, not so much in the swimming pool so we had a blast swimming the lengths. But as the place got more crowded around lunchtime, some weirdos showed up. I could make my peace with bunch of hunks standing in the swimming pool and chatting, although blocking half a line... but what was the matter with one couple almost making out in front of the children there...Geeez, get a room. Later on 2 boys showed up with plastic boat and remote control and navigated it around the swimmers while (I suppose) mother kept taking pictures or videos of them. I was kinda hyped up and considering saying something as there were other kids jumping into water and swimmers with heads under water, poking an eye out on some stupid plastic toy would be truly brilliant... but then an older gentleman swam to them and kindly talked to them so they removed the boat. Sitting in the thermal bath I watched some people with their noses stuck to their cell phones which is another thing that I can't get my head around but to each their own.
All in all it was nice day, but some people never cease to surprise me. Well I guess that's the charm 1f600.svg
- @Bian_ca6661

Wow, sister, I thought for a moment I had written this post!!
We also experience some insanity at the pool after noon time.
I make sure we hit the water by  opening hour.
Stake our ground and do most of my laps before they close them to reserved lanes.
I'm serious why not give us a discount since it is false advertizing about how many lap lanes etc. they have.
The other day I was turned away 2 times in an empty wave pool because they were going to start surfing lessons.
I was getting mad because I enjoy messing around between wave times to practice my swim strokes. Hate to practice new strokes in the lap lane.
I'm guessing maybe you went to Paskal pool? Not sure but we quit going to that place because they closed more laps lanes to the public then they left open. Women in full face makeup and over muscled dudes with tats blocking the way into and out of the water. Dangling feet at every turn of a lap.
I swear I was ready to purchase a country home this year just to put in my own pool, don't care if the place is a shack as long as I can put in a pool.
Good thing my husband has a cooler head then I do.
Well, soon enough school will start and we hopefully will have a few weeks of nice weather to enjoy the pools without thinking we are in a zoo.
We used to have a nice built in pool in our house in Ca. As it goes, we didn't use it as much as we could have, just knowing it was there was enough.
All would be fine here if people knew their limits, If you can't swim laps then stay out of the lap pool. If you want to bring a boat then buy yourself a house on the lake.
o
Do they add something in the water here.. or is it the heat?

- @Bian_ca6661

That security guard needs his lights punched out.
The guy seemed to just be talking and not aggressive at all.
Everyone wants to be a boss these days...
Wow, sister, I thought for a moment I had written this post!!
We also experience some insanity at the pool after noon time.
I make sure we hit the water by  opening hour.
Stake our ground and do most of my laps before they close them to reserved lanes.
I'm serious why not give us a discount since it is false advertizing about how many lap lanes etc. they have.
The other day I was turned away 2 times in an empty wave pool because they were going to start surfing lessons.
I was getting mad because I enjoy messing around between wave times to practice my swim strokes. Hate to practice new strokes in the lap lane.
I'm guessing maybe you went to Paskal pool? Not sure but we quit going to that place because they closed more laps lanes to the public then they left open. Women in full face makeup and over muscled dudes with tats blocking the way into and out of the water. Dangling feet at every turn of a lap.
I swear I was ready to purchase a country home this year just to put in my own pool, don't care if the place is a shack as long as I can put in a pool.
Good thing my husband has a cooler head then I do.
Well, soon enough school will start and we hopefully will have a few weeks of nice weather to enjoy the pools without thinking we are in a zoo.
We used to have a nice built in pool in our house in Ca. As it goes, we didn't use it as much as we could have, just knowing it was there was enough.
All would be fine here if people knew their limits, If you can't swim laps then stay out of the lap pool. If you want to bring a boat then buy yourself a house on the lake.
o
- @Marilyn Tassy

You're guessing correctly. We were looking for a chance to get good swim, nothing fancy, so we opted for the closest option. It must be the heat that drives people nuts or they just naturally misbehave... in all fairness the boat wasn't big, but it felt uncomfortable seeing it near by swimmers. I'm sure there areoptions to play with it other than in swimming pool.
What I noticed that almost no one followed the signs about showering before entering the hot pools. We lasted about 5 hours, then left. It wasn't all that bad,  we managed to cool a bit on a hot day. I suppose it would be better on less crowded day. But i guess we can't have it all at once 1f600.svg
House with the swimming pool, hmmm, that was always my dream. But it was only for the richest of richest while growing up. Nowadays many people got the rounded self-standing pools, unfortunately with the drought and energy rates they can only look at them sadly.
The swimming classes should have reserved time so public would know not to be bothered to go there
Exactly so,they should reserve these swim, surfing and God knows whatever classes they can dream up to make a buck to before opening hours or afterwards, late afternoon would work out too.
Our first time ever at Paskal pool years ago was very sad.
With all those idiots, camping day care children etc. a 8 year old girl drowned in a crowded pool and no one noticed!!
What were her parents paying for if the camp staff couldn't watch the children in the water and what sort of lifeguards do they hire?
I know in Vegas we used to swim in a nice indoor pool with 17 lanes. They might have only 2 lanes being used mid day but they still had 4 rotating life guards up high on podiums watching our every move.
No way on earth could anyone drown in that pool.
They inforced doing laps, if you wished to mess aboout they had outdoor pools and a water slide. All for the whpping price of $2.00 per day for adults, we senirs only paid $1.00 a day or could purchase a anytime pass good fr 3 months for just $25.!
I don't miss much about Vegas but that pool was sweet...
Only slightly crowed mid summer when it hit over 100F.
Any other time it felt like a private pool without the mantaince costs.
I was run by the city of Las Vegas.
Having casinos in town does help with some public benefits. They , the casinos give allot to hospitals and to children's events during the holidays. In fact my big tough casino  manager would volunteer every Christmas to be Santa for a handicapped childrens club.
We've been going to Palintinus. They have enough pools to just about keep the lap lane open for normal swimmers. Some brats were trying to jump in late afternon time but they got the boot. You would enjoy swimming in Lake Lupa, it has a pricey side and a cheap side, same water just more fancy restaurants and a golf cart ride to the water in the pricey side. They have some grassy areas and some with sand. The water is nice and cool for long lap swimming.
Didn't make it there this summer but had been going for the past few years.
It's paid parking, last year was 200 forints per hour but  4 or 5 hours there is enough.

- @Vicces1

Someone has just posted on Twitter a clip of David Lammy (he's live presenting on LBC at the moment); he just said that Pakistan fought for the British in WW2.  That man is the UK Shadow Foreign Secretary, so it must be true eh?
Exactly so,they should reserve these swim, surfing and God knows whatever classes they can dream up to make a buck to before opening hours or afterwards, late afternoon would work out too.
Our first time ever at Paskal pool years ago was very sad.
With all those idiots, camping day care children etc. a 8 year old girl drowned in a crowded pool and no one noticed!!

- @Marilyn Tassy

It's horrible. That's exactly what I told my spouse that there was only one life guard for 2 swimming pools and he just sat there in the shadow. Unlike at the Aquarena near by Budapest where we went last week, I've seen life guards and other staff everywhere.

Why?
What happened?
- @Vicces1

Hard to say what is going on in the UK.  I've begun to tune out now.   The only thing which will work for me is an election - if I was allowed to vote.   Labour is just letting the Conservatives dig themselves into a bigger hole.  I think in this muddle, we need a technocrat to govern with some logic and less of the Trumpist style BS.  The whole place needs a clearout. There's  no other way to do it.

I am hearing all sorts of monikers being applied to Liz Truss - Miss Truss(t), Blundertruss and so on.  Personally I think I'd trust Sunak more as he has more experience.

James is highly opinionated but so are the rest.  So long as we know that, we can take what he says selectively with a pinch of salt.  But both him and Nick Ferrari are very tough interviewers - I like their techniques even if I don't always agree with the content.  They really put the clueless callers and some politicians on the spot.   I think if you're in politics, you're fair game for pressured interviews.

Nick Abbot is also good value as he's pretty funny (sometimes) and so are some of his callers.   

I cannot say all of them are good on LBC.  During the holidays I found myself dipping in less as there's more to do outside and that interminable leadership election makes me lose the will to go on.
Sunak was only ever in the lead amongst the Parliamentary group of Conservative MP's; but they don't have the final say, this is in the hands of the Conservative Party members; they have never seemed to support Sunak.

To add - I just read elsewhere that there is a secret group of overseas Conservative party members who will ride in and save the day for Sunak.  Were that to happen, I suspect that would be the end of the Conservative party as we know it.
- @Cynic

Maybe the Conservative Party would become effectively Boris Johnson's own party. 

Just like the Republican Party is now effectively the Teflon Don's personal election vehicle. 

I don't know enough about US election law to say if Donny does time for Georgia election fraud/interference whether he can still run for President. Sounds implausible he could run from behind bars with a 7 year sentence. 
If you want to bring a boat then buy yourself a house on the lake.

- @Marilyn Tassy

We've just come back from Balaton.  We cut our stay there short because of heavy rain.  And for certain it's needed.  But will it make any difference to the actual amount of water in there?

I am not sure any house will be on the water in  the future.  The water is so low, there won't be any water left to paddle directly out of your house. It'll be a dust bowl. 

I reckon it's down at least 30-50cm.  We can see the water edge is now much further out than usual.  My guess is that boats will probably have to be at least 300m from the shore to have enough water under the keel to even float. 
I don't know enough about US election law to say if Donny does time for Georgia election fraud/interference whether he can still run for President. Sounds implausible he could run from behind bars with a 7 year sentence. 
- @fluffy2560

It seems Rudy Guiliani is being set up to either 1) take the fall for tRump (likely) or 2) become a stool pigeon for tRump (unlikely).  The grand jury investigation is now focused on Rudy.

There are still several other efforts going on:
1. The raid on his Mar-A-Lago home was not ONLY about document retrieval. There are 3 federal codes broken and they are independent of whether that material was classified or not. Any information retrieved during the retrieval is lawfully available to other investigations. In other words, if the warrant was for the retrieval of nuclear secrets, but in the file was an admittance of a financial crime, that financial crime information is lawfully available to any investigation focused on those financial crimes, even though the warrant was for something else. Or another way to look at it, if the FBI went in looking for documents and found Don Jr's cocaine drug stash, they are legally able to prosecute Don Jr for that.
2. New York State and the NY District of Lower Manhattan both have cases pending, though the Lower Manhattan DA looks to be a tRump supporter and is very much dragging feet. So much so that the 2 lead prosecuting attorneys both dropped the case a few months ago in protest.
3. Electoral College Fraud -- this may go against tRump's supporters more than him
4. Jan 6 committee - With Liz Cheney out in November, we'll need some action soon!)

More on his "challenges" and lack of accountability: https://www.justsecurity.org/75032/liti … ald-trump/
- @fluffy2560

It seems Rudy Guiliani is being set up to either 1) take the fall for tRump (likely) or 2) become a stool pigeon for tRump (unlikely).  The grand jury investigation is now focused on Rudy.

There are still several other efforts going on:
1. The raid on his Mar-A-Lago home was not ONLY about document retrieval. There are 3 federal codes broken and they are independent of whether that material was classified or not. Any information retrieved during the retrieval is lawfully available to other investigations. In other words, if the warrant was for the retrieval of nuclear secrets, but in the file was an admittance of a financial crime, that financial crime information is lawfully available to any investigation focused on those financial crimes, even though the warrant was for something else. Or another way to look at it, if the FBI went in looking for documents and found Don Jr's cocaine drug stash, they are legally able to prosecute Don Jr for that.
2. New York State and the NY District of Lower Manhattan both have cases pending, though the Lower Manhattan DA looks to be a tRump supporter and is very much dragging feet. So much so that the 2 lead prosecuting attorneys both dropped the case a few months ago in protest.
3. Electoral College Fraud -- this may go against tRump's supporters more than him
4. Jan 6 committee - With Liz Cheney out in November, we'll need some action soon!)

More on his "challenges" and lack of accountability: https://www.justsecurity.org/75032/liti … ald-trump/
- @Vicces1

This morning I had an early discussion with a US colleague and he said Trump has $500M in loans due soon which he'll be unlikely to be able to repay.  He has no assets other than his name and there's a chance NY will close his businesses down due to criminal activities - i.e. his CFO was engaged in systematic tax evasion and is going to do time at Rikers and testify against Donny.  Moreover, Trump's usual MO is to declare bankruptcy.  Becoming President again is the only way to get immunity.   

It's nothing if not entertaining while he is not in power.   If he was in power, it'd be even more scary.  That moron was going to leave NATO.   Putin must have  some serious material on Trump to keep him under such control.   I wondered if Putin will see it going the wrong way and Novichok the guy to keep him from talking about  anything in a plea bargain.  If Trump is looking at time, he'd be likely to throw everyone, including his kids, under the bus.   I could not see Trump surviving serious time in jail - he'll be too old to be President when he comes out.

Shame about Liz Cheney.  At least she was trying to do the right thing but she still voted for Trump policies.  Shame Wyoming is stuffed full of MAGA  nuts.  As for Giuliani, that guy seems to have become a laughing stock.  How the mighty have fallen!

It is now a given, they say. No longer if, but when. In the media and among those who know, or who claim to, it is clear. Donald Trump is back, or about to be as a presidential candidate. Brace yourselves.

- @SimCityAT

Liz Cheney might try to split the vote.   

Be a remarkable come back if she manages to nobble Donny and gets enough support to win.   

The entire MAGA/Trump  thing is the most bizarre periods in political history.